• estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    This one is for sure:

9axn66nnekyz.jpg
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I seem to go over my carb limit every single day but I am losing consistently.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    kikkipoo wrote: »
    I see most referring specifically to weight loss but the real issue should be about health. In that sense I think it is perfectly warranted to be aware of where your calories are coming from and deliberate about the type of carbs you put in your body. I don't think there are too many people that could argue with me that 42 grams of carbs from Doritos is very different for your body's overall health than 42 grams of carbs from fresh fruits and vegetables. So, don't be afraid of carbs, but do keep in the back of your head that not all carbs are created equal and whole grains and fiber packed vegetables will always better serve your goals than white flour and sugar.

There's no white flour in Doritos.

And there's less than 1g of sugar in a serving of Doritos.

Also, 42 grams of carbs from Doritos would involve 70 grams total (apparently about 26-27 chips), and -- more significantly -- 21 g of fat. You'd get about 3 g of fiber. Total calories would be 378, of which 189 calories (or about exactly 50%) would be from fat. You'd get 4 or so grams of protein, and around a gram of sugar.

To get 42 grams of carbs from a banana, you'd need 182 g total (or somewhere between 1.5-2 bananas, depending on the size). You'd get a couple of grams of protein, around 5 grams of fiber (these numbers are similar enough in the Doritos and the banana that I don't see a meaningful difference), and of course around 22 grams of sugar. Total calories -- the main difference -- would be 163 -- so about half that of the Doritos, of which essentially all (but the tiny amount of protein) are from carbs.

So is the big difference between the banana and the Doritos in the carbs? Well, the Doritos do have more complex carbs, but I don't think that matters. Or is the real difference that the Doritos also have lots of fat and more calories? Or that the bananas have certain micros that the Doritos don't (and probably vice versa, although I'd assume the bananas have an advantage here).

I'd be interested in a response @kikkipoo if you want to talk about this. I'm a nutrition nerd, so am always up for such conversations.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    misskarne wrote: »
    I'm sorry but every time I see the title of this thread I visualise a slice of bread with a knife, lurking down alleyways, waiting to jump out and stab people.

p6f1kb3ip2bo.jpg

• DamieBird
    DamieBird Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I seem to go over my carb limit every single day but I am losing consistently.

I treat that as my "minimum" and shoot past it just about every day, lol. I knew I ate enough carbs to make the LCHF/Keto-ers clutch their pearls, but when I saw in a post that someone was eating about 300 and people were chiming in with "that's waaay too high!", I actually looked at my numbers. I'm regularly over 250 and it's a RARE day that I'm under 200g of carbs. It's seriously 50% of my diet, and I still lose right on target :P.
  • leanitup123
    leanitup123 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Just had a handful of peanut m&m's. Could have had plain almonds. Oops.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Elijah8468 wrote: »
    Have done a couple macro calculations online and it seems like my carb count is always higher than I think. Have the body type that can put on weight easy so I always back off the carbs but am I actually hurting my weight loss/muscle gain by not eating enough carbs?

I lost 50 pounds and kept it off by eating carbs....

You do not need to worry about carbs unless you have a medical condition or some kind of food allergy.

Also, the whole "this body type gains muscle or puts on fat easy" is a bunch of woo woo that is not based on any science.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    kikkipoo wrote: »
    I see most referring specifically to weight loss but the real issue should be about health. In that sense I think it is perfectly warranted to be aware of where your calories are coming from and deliberate about the type of carbs you put in your body. I don't think there are too many people that could argue with me that 42 grams of carbs from Doritos is very different for your body's overall health than 42 grams of carbs from fresh fruits and vegetables. So, don't be afraid of carbs, but do keep in the back of your head that not all carbs are created equal and whole grains and fiber packed vegetables will always better serve your goals than white flour and sugar.

actually, you are dead wrong. 42 grams of Doritos carbs = 42 grams of fruit carbs; the difference is that their calorie content and nutritional profile is not the same.

What matters is overall diet, no individual food choices. there are no bad foods, just bad diets.

context and dosage is important.

what if I eat Doritos as a small snack and the rest of my day is vegetables, lean meats, and fruits, is that good or bad?
  • ndj1979
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

thirded