Keto Success! : D

Options
After stalling and yoyoing after a loss of 86 lbs, I decided to try the Keto Diet. I started with a full day of Keto eating on June 2nd and, as of this morning, June 5th, I have lost 6.6 lbs! Amazing!! This is just what I needed to jumpstart things! ; ) I will probably stay on this diet through July and see where it goes. I may just stay on it longer, depending on my results at that time. I try to keep my net carbs to around 20 to 25, which is your total carbs minus your total fiber. The best thing about this diet is that I don't have to count calories or fat, and I can cook my veggies and eggs in real butter and add heavy whipping cream to my coffee. The worst thing is no bread, pasta, or sugary sweets. I do satisfy my sweet cravings with 1 square a day of Ghirardelli 86% Cacao, which is totally yummy and has only 2.5 net carbs and 1.25 grams of sugar per square, and 1 or 2 Chocolate Muscle Milk Lights, which has only 2 net carbs per 11 ounces and 0 grams of sugar. This also provides extra vitamins and protein. My other main source of protein is eggs, which I have in the form of a veggie scramble. So far, this diet is the bomb! : D

Replies

• jeaniedev
    jeaniedev Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    keto is very helpful in weightloss as a Way of Eating long term. it is also really great for your body....which is fueled by the fat.... many ppl do it as a Way of Eating h for health benefits and the weight loss is a positive side effect.... great job good luck
  • mrssie1223
    mrssie1223 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Thank you, jeaniedev! : ) I have considered doing Keto full-time. I just want to see how everything goes. So far, I'm feeling fantastic! : D
  • TeraMB
    TeraMB Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Can you explain this diet? I'm very interested?
  • JohnnyLowCarb
    JohnnyLowCarb Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    TeraMB wrote: »
    Can you explain this diet? I'm very interested?

Total Carbs per day 20Grams. Moderate protein and High Fat. I have been on it since Jan1 and lost 30 pounds its AWESOME.
  • TeraMB
    TeraMB Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Is there a book? It sounds similar to Atkins?
  • JohnnyLowCarb
    JohnnyLowCarb Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    mrssie1223 wrote: »
    After stalling and yoyoing after a loss of 86 lbs, I decided to try the Keto Diet. I started with a full day of Keto eating on June 2nd and, as of this morning, June 5th, I have lost 6.6 lbs! Amazing!! This is just what I needed to jumpstart things! ; ) I will probably stay on this diet through July and see where it goes. I may just stay on it longer, depending on my results at that time. I try to keep my net carbs to around 20 to 25, which is your total carbs minus your total fiber. The best thing about this diet is that I don't have to count calories or fat, and I can cook my veggies and eggs in real butter and add heavy whipping cream to my coffee. The worst thing is no bread, pasta, or sugary sweets. I do satisfy my sweet cravings with 1 square a day of Ghirardelli 86% Cacao, which is totally yummy and has only 2.5 net carbs and 1.25 grams of sugar per square, and 1 or 2 Chocolate Muscle Milk Lights, which has only 2 net carbs per 11 ounces and 0 grams of sugar. This also provides extra vitamins and protein. My other main source of protein is eggs, which I have in the form of a veggie scramble. So far, this diet is the bomb! : D

Why do you feel you dont have to count calories? The only way to lose weight is to be in a calorie deficit. You wont know if your in a deficit for sure unless you track. I have been keto since Jan 1. 30 pounds down but I track, especially when you get close to your desired weight. GREAT JOB and if you can do it without counting more power to you
  • mca90guitar
    mca90guitar Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    How do you eat so little carbs? Guess I need to look more I to this as idk what I would even eat and stay below that lol.

Glad to hear your getting the results you want. Keep it up
  • mrssie1223
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Hi TeraMB! : ) Thank you so much for commenting on my post. Basically, the Keto Diet is about consuming low carbs and high quality fats. There are a lot of Keto websites, but I like Butter Bob Briggs and GoodyBeats on youtube. The idea is to deprive your body of carbs so it will start to use stored fat for your energy needs. I keep my daily net carbs, which is your total carbs minus your total fiber to 15 - 20 net carbs per day. So far, this number has been very successful. The one rule is to keep yourself well hydrated so your body can easily flush the toxins from your body. You also need to make sure you are eating enough salt, as you will lose electrolytes during this flushing process. Good luck! I know you will see amazing results! ; )
  • mrssie1223
    Options
    Hi JohnnyLowCarb! : ) Thank you for your input. You are quite right. You cannot go crazy when it comes to fats and calories. I was eating a 1200 calorie diet before I started Keto, so I am really aware of what and how much I can eat without going over that number. People new to Keto should go on the web to find a Keto calculator. That will assist them in determining what is right for them. Youtube also has many videos that offer helpful guidelines. Butter Bob Briggs and GoodyBeats are two that I recommend. Congratulations on your weight loss! Keep up the great work! ; )
  • mrssie1223
    Options
    Hi mca90guitar! : ) Thanks for your post. You'd be surprised at the variety of food you can eat on a low carb diet. Eggs, cheese, some vegetables, meat, fish, heavy whipping cream, and butter are just a few examples. I am not starving. In fact, I am very full by the end of the day. Check out Butter Bob Briggs and Goody Beats on youtube. That's what inspired me to start Keto. I got a lot of information from these two channels. There are also many websites you can go to. Good luck! ; )
  • mrssie1223
    Options
    Hello Everyone! : ) You can also get a lot of great recipes on youtube. I like KetoConnect. They have a bread, pizza dough, and brownie recipe that is totally Keto friendly. I haven't tried them yet, but I plan to. ; )
  • mrssie1223
    edited June 2017
    Options
    UPDATE: As of 6/7/2017 I have lost an additional 5.8 pounds!! :smiley: Awesomeness!!!! That is a total weightloss of 12.4 pounds in 5 days (6/2/2017 - 6/7/2017)!! :smiley:
  • sumkay02
    sumkay02 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    @mrssie1223 OMGoodness that is AMAZING!!!! Is it hard to follow?...because I have a problem with not wanting to try new veggies and whatnot because I don't want to waste the money. Also trying to be healthy and cook for my picky family is really hard :( I was proud of myself last night...while everyone else had French Bread Pizzas for dinner, I made myself a version of taco salad with ground turkey that I bought for the first time.
    I am going to look up those Youtube videos you recommended. Thanks.
  • mrssie1223
    Options
    Hi sumkay02! ;) You are so welcome! ;) Thank you for commenting on my post! ;) Great job resisting that pizza! :smiley: No, Keto is not hard at all. In fact, it's been super easy for me to follow. Yes, please check out the videos on the channels I recommended. These are real people with common sense advice. They tell you how to avoid the mistakes that they made, which is super helpful. My food diary is open, so feel free to check it out. Sounds like you ate a Keto dinner last night, so you are already on your way! ;) There are also Keto calculators on the web, so you could go and get recommendations from them on how many carbs to eat. Basically, just keep your net carbs somewhere between 15 to 25, and keep your fats high. Lots of water, eat salt, and no sugar or low sugar. I love Ghirardelli 86% Cacao - Midnight Reverie, which is only 1.25 carbs per square, so I do allow myself 1 or 2 of those per day. I also just discovered a low carb recipe website called Wicked Stuffed. Tonight, I am making chips out of cheese! Yummy! ;) I am going to weigh myself again on Saturday, so be sure to check out my progress. ;) Good luck to you! :) I know you will have great success! :smiley: Michelle
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome! I suggest you check out the following main low carber daily forum group here in MFP. It's where most of us Ketophiles tend to hang out:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/discussions/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group/p1
  • mrssie1223
    edited June 2017
    Options
    @ladipoet :smiley: Thank you! :smiley: will do just that! Hope to see you there! :wink: Michelle
  • mrssie1223
    Options
    Hi Everyone! :smiley: I just discovered a website called Wicked Stuffed filled with Keto recipes. I also recommend Headbanger's Kitchen and TPH Keto Desserts on YouTube. The latter is for all of you who still want your sweets now and then. :wink: Happy Keto-ing!! :smiley: Michelle
  • mtague7733
    mtague7733 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Hi, been doing keto for about 10 days and losing lots of water weight. I just started moderate ketosis today (ketostix). I have been feeling lethargic for a week. When does the energy kick in? Thanks!
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    mrssie1223 wrote: »
    Hi TeraMB! : ) Thank you so much for commenting on my post. Basically, the Keto Diet is about consuming low carbs and high quality fats. There are a lot of Keto websites, but I like Butter Bob Briggs and GoodyBeats on youtube. The idea is to deprive your body of carbs so it will start to use stored fat for your energy needs. I keep my daily net carbs, which is your total carbs minus your total fiber to 15 - 20 net carbs per day. So far, this number has been very successful. The one rule is to keep yourself well hydrated so your body can easily flush the toxins from your body. You also need to make sure you are eating enough salt, as you will lose electrolytes during this flushing process. Good luck! I know you will see amazing results! ; )

the fat you burn is from the high amounts of dietary fat not stored fat, you lose body fat in a deficit. you also dont flush any toxins from your body your organs already do that(with or without keto). your electrolytes will be low because of you losing water weight and glycogen stores(from carbs) at first.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    mtague7733 wrote: »
    Hi, been doing keto for about 10 days and losing lots of water weight. I just started moderate ketosis today (ketostix). I have been feeling lethargic for a week. When does the energy kick in? Thanks!

up your sodium,you can use bullion cubes as well. if you feel lethargic its due to sodium levels dropping due to the water. if you feel lethargic after say a month then keto may not be for you. some people cant tolerate keto