Do you measure yourself?

Options
If so, how often? How often do you usually notice a change in measurements?

I've never really bothered to before, but decided to start measuring myself three weeks ago. Mainly because I feel like my hips aren't getting any smaller and I'm pretty sure that's just me being ridiculous and I wanted to prove that to myself.

So I decide to measure myself again today because it's been three weeks (and I've lost 4-5 lbs in this time) and everything seems the same (maybe small differences in some places) but my hip measurement was two inches smaller. So now I'm wondering if that's even possible for me to lose two inches off my hips in such a short time frame (three weeks) and if I possibly measured incorrectly before.

This is really why I never bothered measuring before, tbh. I'm always second guessing myself like "maybe I measured wrong before".

Replies

• tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    For me, the inches slide off much, much slower than pounds. I've lost 30 lbs over the last year, and only 2" off my hips.
  • kimothy38
    kimothy38 Posts: 840 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Measuring is not an exact science so you'll need to keep track of the trend over a few months. 2 inches is a lot to lose in 3 weeks. For peace of mind I think measuring and weighing yourself is ideal. Not losing weight can be disheartening but then you can be reducing in size instead.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    Once every 4 weeks. And there have been changes. Neck seems to be the slowest. Waist and hips seem to be going at closer to the same pace.
  • MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Inches melt off me like a snowman in summer. While the scale can be slower because I retain water so easily. I'm down 4 inches off my waist this month and I think 3 off my tummy. I'm an hourglass shape so when I work out and eat at deficit the weight doesn't want to stay there. Thighs move next slowly, then hips (because I work out in opposition to shrinking, so fat comes off but muscle composition changes so it slows shrinking down). Arms and boobs lose slowly for my though.

So I measure basically every week because the scale might say I haven't lost anything but then my thighs will be down half an inch each or something. For other ppl it's the other way around *shrug*.
  • scarlett_k
    scarlett_k Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    When I first used MFP I did and I was really pleased I did! I wasn't trying to lose weight, but I was trying to stay on top of any weight gain when I stopped smoking, and I had started running. I wasn't losing any weight but my measurements were dropping nicely.
  • distinctlybeautiful
    distinctlybeautiful Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    I've tried a few times, but I've had the same outlook as you. I never know if I'm measuring the same way every time, and I just give up. I prefer pictures and clothes and, yes, the scale.
  • vivelajackie
    vivelajackie Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I used to and only just now aim to. I don't suggest doing it more than once a month, as inches can and do come off slower. It's good to do though, along with progress pics. Every month the change will probably be hard to tell, but several months down the line? The reminder of where you were is reassuring.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    I do. Once a month.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Usually once a month. I try to keep as consistent as possible... It is easier in some areas vs others though.

I measure my bust at the widest point, my waist at the smallest point, my waist at my belly button, my hips at the widest point, and most recently I've added my unflexed bicep at the widest point, and my thighs at the widest point (usually this is right under the glutes). Those last two are the hardest to keep consistent but I figure some data is better than no data.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    No because I'm never sure if I'm measuring in the right spot or the same spot every time so I just go by scale and clothes.
  • xmissxamyx
    xmissxamyx Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I measure about once a month, I've lost about 4 inches off my waist since I started this whole "weight loss journey" thing, it can be kind of reassuring seeing that old mark on my measuring tape knowing that's where I started and this hard work is paying off.

You could try using freckles or scars or something on your body to line up the tape with each time you measure to ensure you are measuring the same spot each time, like I have a freckle on my thigh that I use to line up the tape each time to make sure I'm measuring (more or less) the same spot each time, I have a scar under my belly button, I line the tape up with the bottom of that to measure my hips. By doing this I can make sure the parts I'm measuring are the same each month.
  • animatorswearbras
    animatorswearbras Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    Usually once a month. I try to keep as consistent as possible... It is easier in some areas vs others though.

I measure my bust at the widest point, my waist at the smallest point, my waist at my belly button, my hips at the widest point, and most recently I've added my unflexed bicep at the widest point, and my thighs at the widest point (usually this is right under the glutes). Those last two are the hardest to keep consistent but I figure some data is better than no data.

Yep I do the same measurements, also if anyone wants to start don't pull the tape measure (or suck in if you're doing your belly) have it so its rests taught against the skin without cinching anything in like a belt. I do find my bust measurement fluctuates an inch during my cycle though so it's a good idea to measure at the same time during your cycle if you're a women. :P

Like water weight can effect the scale how tight you pull the tape measure even incrementally, water weight, digestive bloating or hormones can effect the tape measure. Its all just a guide to get a better overall picture and sometimes takes several months to get results. x