How to slim the thighs and bottom? I'm in a bit of a situation!

Options

Replies

• StinkyCheeze
    StinkyCheeze Posts: 26 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    You look amazing in all of those pictures, @StinkyCheeze. I think you're being too hard on yourself. But, I also agree that recomp will likely get you where you want to be.

Thanks. True, I may be being a bit too hard on myself. But the scan even showed my uneven, and rather high fat distribution on my lower half. It's also currently often uncomfortable when I sit down. I've seen women who are amazingly lean top and bottom. That's my goal. And another goal I have is to successfully pull myself up on those bars at the gym. I've seen other people do it, both genders. I tried a few times but all the unnecessary weight in my lower half makes it too hard. And I stopped doing squats because last time I squatted, I fell backwards on my bottom. It was a common thing :(
  • Poisonedpawn78
    Poisonedpawn78 Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    You look amazing in all of those pictures, @StinkyCheeze. I think you're being too hard on yourself. But, I also agree that recomp will likely get you where you want to be.

Thanks. True, I may be being a bit too hard on myself. But the scan even showed my uneven, and rather high fat distribution on my lower half. It's also currently often uncomfortable when I sit down. I've seen women who are amazingly lean top and bottom. That's my goal. And another goal I have is to successfully pull myself up on those bars at the gym. I've seen other people do it, both genders. I tried a few times but all the unnecessary weight in my lower half makes it too hard. And I stopped doing squats because last time I squatted, I fell backwards on my bottom. It was a common thing :(

Pull ups are one of my goals down the road. I have never been able to do one my entire life. When I was very young my arms were too weak, when my arms got strong enough, the rest of me weighed too much. Someday..
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options

It took me a YEAR of working on it before I could do one unassisted pull-up!!! A YEAR!!! I did negative pull-ups and band-assisted pull-ups until I could finally do one. Now I can do three sets of ten, and six sets of five with 10 pounds added to me. That has nothing to do with your butt!

I tend to lose balance toward the back during squats, too. Squat shoes fixed that. That also has NOTHING to do with your butt!!!

You are linking things to your physique that have nothing to do with your physique. Love your body for what it can do, and if you really want to do pull-ups and squats, find ways to do those things and don't blame your shape.
  • BlueSkyShoal
    BlueSkyShoal Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I think you look great in those pictures. :)

I get what you're feeling, as I too have shed excess fat on pretty much my entire upper body (except the stubborn underside of the upper arms) yet still have fat stored on my thighs and butt. Sometimes it makes me feel insecure when I see people posting their pant size, as a lot of people who weigh more than me (and are the same height) are fitting into jeans MUCH smaller than my current size. I mean, I'm 140 and still in size 10s.

But to be honest when I get size 10s that fit, I think I look pretty great too. Our bodies are what they are, just because they don't fit someone's definition of perfect doesn't mean they're 'wrong.' :)
  • Running_and_Coffee
    Running_and_Coffee Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I think you look great!! We all want what we can't have. It sounds like you're at a healthy weight and have a great figure! I agree with building strength as a way to better shape your body than a diet. I used to be more "bottom heavy" before I got into running and becoming a runner definitely leaned me out. I am now much more proportioned (though my boobs got even smaller--so not fair!). I know cardio isn't what everyone here is recommending, but for me, going from inactive to endurance runner had a dramatic change in my body shape.
  • StinkyCheeze
    edited June 2017
    Options
    storyjorie wrote: »
    I think you look great!! We all want what we can't have. It sounds like you're at a healthy weight and have a great figure! I agree with building strength as a way to better shape your body than a diet. I used to be more "bottom heavy" before I got into running and becoming a runner definitely leaned me out. I am now much more proportioned (though my boobs got even smaller--so not fair!). I know cardio isn't what everyone here is recommending, but for me, going from inactive to endurance runner had a dramatic change in my body shape.

Running sounds like a challenge lol. Perhaps I could pull it off though. Did your body fat decrease? That's what I'm aiming for.
  • Running_and_Coffee
    Running_and_Coffee Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    storyjorie wrote: »

Running sounds like a challenge lol. Perhaps I could pull it off though. Did your body fat decrease? That's what I'm aiming for.

Oh gosh, yes. But this is all over a really long time stretch...I mean years from going from not exercising to starting to go the gym a few times a week, to discovering I loved running (who knew?) to running more than a dozen half-marathons and running almost daily for over 5 years. My weight didn't change much (was never overweight) but I went from the low 30s (when I was about 29-30 years old) to the mid 20s (around age 36-37) for body fat. I did also go from the usual "low-fat/high carb" diet everyone seemed to be on in the late 90s to a much more protein-focused diet, again over time. Not sure if it was that or the exercise that made the change.
  • ayuri17
    ayuri17 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I have the exact same problem. Even when I was 103 lb (height 5'2), I still had relatively bulky looking thighs and it drove me nuts. There's not much I can do about it. I'm scared to do lower body strength training exercises like squats in case my thighs get even bigger. =/
  • StinkyCheeze
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Okay this will be long.

I started at 212 dropped to 150 and maintained, then had a pregnancy was 204. I cut down to 134, 16% body fat, size 4 bottoms sz 10 KIDS tops, xxs adult tops and was straight bone on my upper half. I finally decided to do a bulk and did it over a few months back up to 148lbs. (I am 5'6)

I am now working on a slow cut and continue to lift progressivly the best I can to maintain as much of my bulk muscle as I can. When I was doing the bulk I did 2 upper per 1 lower days for my lifting to try to add as much muscle on my upper half as I could so that this time as I cut down my upper has more "thickness" to it so when I get down to where my thighs drop (which they did once I got under 140lbs, they dropped almost an inch each quick between 138-134). For my thighs to drop I need to be sub 18% body fat, my abs show at 23% body fat, like 6 pack cute visable abs at 145lbs. It is the body type.

Like above said genetics are it 100%. You can cut all you want and yes eventually you will get the thighs to lean out but your upper will be very lean and skinny. It is up to you what you want to do and how you want to go about it. You can either not care and just be uber lean or you can work on putting on mass on your upper half to give that more "balanced look" to it all.

This is me at 145lbs, and tested (bodpod) 22.4% body fat.

66fc357b72a18b20754f6586c2862455d2fe.jpg

Holy crap, you look amazing @sunflowerhippi! Maybe a bulk is really the solution, although it will take a lot of mental strength to get over my thighs probably getting even bigger lol... What's your macronutrients like? I would probably need to adjust my protein/carb/fat intake if I were to do a bulk and some serious lifting followed by losing weight again.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    OP, before jumping into a bulk, it might be a good idea to get your training in order. What program are you running/what kind of weight lifting do you do? Also, how long have you been lifting? I would say unless you are underweight, it might be a good idea to spend some time either in small deficit or recomping following a proven progressive program and really getting to know the weights and lowering your BF% a bit more before bulking. Also since you mentioned you are having some issues with your squat maybe working with a trainer to help you with your form.

Starting fairly lean will be ideal (for females around 17-20% and under).. not to say you can't start now since you do look great, but bulking is a very mental process.. and in a successful bulk you will gain fat and it can be uncomfortable so I wouldn't jump into it just yet.

Just my personal opinion.
  • everher
    everher Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    I think you look fabulous! Also, I agree with everyone else about strength training and leaning out a bit more.

I'll be honest though you can't change your shape. If you're naturally pear shaped you'll always be pear shaped, but that isn't a bad thing.
  • StinkyCheeze
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    OP, before jumping into a bulk, it might be a good idea to get your training in order. What program are you running/what kind of weight lifting do you do? Also, how long have you been lifting? I would say unless you are underweight, it might be a good idea to spend some time either in small deficit or recomping following a proven progressive program and really getting to know the weights and lowering your BF% a bit more before bulking. Also since you mentioned you are having some issues with your squat maybe working with a trainer to help you with your form.

Starting fairly lean will be ideal (for females around 17-20% and under).. not to say you can't start now since you do look great, but bulking is a very mental process.. and in a successful bulk you will gain fat and it can be uncomfortable so I wouldn't jump into it just yet.

I'm not following a specific program. I just alternate between weight machines, cycling, and swimming. And I often end my day with some yoga. I've been doing this for a couple of years. Have lost 45-50 pounds.
  • Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I was not prepared for your pictures because I was expecting something totally different than what you described. I think you're​ suffering from body dysmorphia. Where you see something totally different than what other people see.

Weight is just a number and you weighing more than what your family thought is, and never should be, a marker of health or wellness.

I would honestly recomp. You are at a healthy weight and honestly look fine, but if you want to- exchanging fat for muscle everywhere will not only help your body look more balanced, you can eat more (hip, hip, hooray). Find a progressive overload weight lifting program and follow the recomp thread.
  • StinkyCheeze
    Options
    Luna3386 wrote: »
    I was not prepared for your pictures because I was expecting something totally different than what you described. I think you're​ suffering from body dysmorphia. Where you see something totally different than what other people see.

Weight is just a number and you weighing more than what your family thought is, and never should be, a marker of health or wellness.

I would honestly recomp. You are at a healthy weight and honestly look fine, but if you want to- exchanging fat for muscle everywhere will not only help your body look more balanced, you can eat more (hip, hip, hooray). Find a progressive overload weight lifting program and follow the recomp thread.

I'm just trying to lose body fat in my stubborn area. How is it body dysmorphia? 29-30% body fat isn't lean, correct? And what if I were to someday want to compete in the future?
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    Luna3386 wrote: »

I'm just trying to lose body fat in my stubborn area. How is it body dysmorphia? 29-30% body fat isn't lean, correct? And what if I were to someday want to compete in the future?

I think it was the use of terms like "blubber" and "rolls" that suggested you see yourself as fat. You're not fat. You don't *need* to lose weight. You *want* to lose weight. There's nothing wrong with you wanting to lose weight. You can afford to lose fat off your thighs and still be healthy, so nobody is telling you not to lose the weight you want to lose.

Body dysmorphia is just seeing yourself differently in the mirror than others see you. It's very common. You sound like you have a good head on your shoulders and should be fine.
  • sunflowerhippi
    sunflowerhippi Posts: 1,086 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »

I'm not following a specific program. I just alternate between weight machines, cycling, and swimming. And I often end my day with some yoga. I've been doing this for a couple of years. Have lost 45-50 pounds.

I would find a heavy lifting program you can work with. I am not sure your gym and other avalabilty but for sure you need to find a way to get a progressive gym program with weights. I know you seem to be focused on fat loss but that can be done while you stay the same weight / a recomp but it is slow and requires dedication to a program and your nutrients.

I eat 1g protein per 1lb body weight. (140g for me) and then since carbs don't bug me I eat a lot of them, lol Carbs help fuel workouts so too low is not good in my opinion.

It took me a few years of working and playing with things to finally get to the fine I need to bulk point, and it took a major hit honestly on my self esteem gaining the weight back. So if you already are self conscience and such it probably is not the best option for you personally.

Programs to look up:
    Stronglifts 5x5
    Ice Cream Fitness
    New rules for lifting for women
    Starting Strength
    Strong Curves

all good starting points. :)
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Same problem here. I'm still working to cut body fat, but am trying to build my shoulders and arms to balance out my rear end.