What is "Ranch"? What is "Birthday Cake"?

Options
Geocitiesuser
Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
How would I recreate these flavors as seasonings from scratch?

It took me forever to figure out that "philly cheese steak flavoring" like hotpockets has is carmalized onions and peppers in provolone.

I've looked at the back of ranch seasoning packets and I'm not understand where the distinct flavor comes from.

I'm also OBSESSED with "birthday cake flavor" anything lately.... is it just vanilla + sprinkles? I'm not understanding where the distinct flavor comes from.

I saw a recipe for birthday cake protein blondies which was basically vanilla whey + coconut flour + honey + sprinkles?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Ranch is, I think, the tang of the buttermilk combined with spices (I use dill, parsley, onion powder, and garlic powder).
  • Geocitiesuser
    Options
    Thank you sooo much!
  • Geocitiesuser
    Options
    This further explains my bday cake obsession because i go nuts for almond/amaretto as well
  • heavensshadow
    heavensshadow Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    This further explains my bday cake obsession because i go nuts for almond/amaretto as well

Same. Chocolate covered marizpan is SO. DAMN. GOOD. I don't care who looks at me weird for it. :p
  • lioness803
    lioness803 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    There's lots of recipes to make your own Ranch seasoning, usually dry milk/buttermilk, onion powder, dried herbs etc.
  • cgrout78
    cgrout78 Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    I used to have a yummy recipe for birthday cake overnight oats...now I want to dig it out again
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    cgrout78 wrote: »
    I used to have a yummy recipe for birthday cake overnight oats...now I want to dig it out again

I tried the one on the Oatmeal Artist and it didn't taste at all like birthday cake... but of course I can't find butter extract.
  • Geocitiesuser
    Options
    cgrout78 wrote: »

please do :)

I actually just splurged and bought some of buff bake's birthday cake flavoring directly (buff bake birthday cake almond butter has been driving me up the wall lately, it is the most delicious substance known to man kind in any era or universe).

I'm hoping to use it in my little mug cakes I make in the evening replacing the unsweetened cocoa.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I always crack up when people go from USA to europe and order ranch dressing. They get a total deer in the headlights look.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,979 Member
    Options
    cathipa wrote: »
    Birthday cake flavor would consist of vanilla, almond and butter extracts. Usually its 1:1/4:1/4 respectively, but taste is subjective so try what works for you. Hope this helps!

To get that "real" artificial birthday cake taste, you should use imitation vanilla flavoring, made with synthetic vanillin. I don't care for birthday cake ice cream, because I always taste imitation vanilla as the strongest flavor note, so if you like birthday cake flavor, steer clear of real ("pure") vanilla extract if you're trying to replicate it at home. (I'm sorry if this is coming off snarky -- I really am trying to be helpful -- just because I don't like it is no reason you shouldn't, and someone may as well benefit from my powerful aversion triggered by imitation vanilla in cake flavor.)
  • Geocitiesuser
    Options
    Imitation is also lower calorie :) (near zero per tspn, where as natural is about 15 IIRC).
  • Tried30UserNames
    Tried30UserNames Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I use dried parsley, chives, dill, garlic and onion powder, salt and pepper in my homemade ranch mix. Some people add a pinch of sugar. I suspect the "distinct" flavor in the packets may come from msg.
  • vnb_208
    vnb_208 Posts: 1,359 Member
    Options
    I love birthday cake anything and really want to try this which was mention above!
    https://dashingdish.com/recipe/overnight-cake-batter-protein-oatmeal/
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    vnb_208 wrote: »
    I love birthday cake anything and really want to try this which was mention above!

Ok that's the one I tried. Didn't taste at all like birthday cake. Again though, I used vanilla extract because I couldn't find butter extract, but it just tasted like vanilla overnight oats.

To be fair, I have yet to try an overnight oats recipe that actually tastes like what it's supposed to taste like.
  • vnb_208
    vnb_208 Posts: 1,359 Member
    Options

Francl27 wrote: »
    vnb_208 wrote: »

Ok that's the one I tried. Didn't taste at all like birthday cake. Again though, I used vanilla extract because I couldn't find butter extract, but it just tasted like vanilla overnight oats.

To be fair, I have yet to try an overnight oats recipe that actually tastes like what it's supposed to taste like.

Tried it I think I used to much greek yogurt I weighed it in grams it was too creamy I will try again b/c I did enjoy it I think I just need to tweak it a bit!
  • ElvenToad
    ElvenToad Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Try this one
    http://fitfoodiefinds.com/2017/02/video-birthday-cake-batter-overnight-oats/

I tried it today, scaled it down to a single serving but it was really great! I didn't add the chia seeds. I've been trying all the overnight oats recipes on Pinterest and so far they have all been pretty spot on.

Only gripe I have about overnight oats is I can't get my psyllium fiber to mix into the cold oats at all. It blends beautifully with hot oats and you can't even tell its in there. Cold... it just sits there, doesn't mix, and makes it taste awful.

It's been fun but back to my hot oats :(
  • mccraee
    mccraee Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I make my own "ranch" dressing w/ some varying mix of yogurt, mayo, buttermilk (depends on how think I want it, how many calories, etc). the seasoning is dill, onion powder & garlic powder. And salt & maybe pepper. fresh dill is great but dried works. And fresh parsley or lemon zest really spark it up.
  • HeliumIsNoble
    HeliumIsNoble Posts: 1,213 Member
    Options

Same. Chocolate covered marizpan is SO. DAMN. GOOD. I don't care who looks at me weird for it. :p
    I agree with this. Dark chocolate marzipan is one of the Great Purposes of Existence.