Female: To Weight Lift or Not??

Options
2»

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Ayesha0624 wrote: »
    Stronglifts 5x5 worked for me just starting out. Strong curves is a great program, but has a lot more "stuff" to it and can be a little overwhelming if you aren't familiar with all the moves. I really like the simplicity of stronglifts for beginners.

How long were you on 5x5 before you moved on?

I used it for about 14 months before moving to an intermediate program. Saw amazing progress and loved it. Finally got to the point where I couldn't progress on the weights anymore.
  • Heather4448
    Heather4448 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    Lift! I wish I had started earlier!
  • Ayesha0624
    Ayesha0624 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Definitely lift! Starting out I did one of those BB programs. The one I did was pretty long but I learned a lot about different exercises. Towards the end knew what most of them were and didn't have to look them up on line. I agree about the diet side of it. Much better to get your numbers online (I use IIFYM.COM) and track with MFP. Good luck!

Thanks for the advice! Used their calculator and its suggesting 1647...that's along of the lines of what @rdridi12 mentioned!
  • Ayesha0624
    Options
    When I started lifting, I splurged and paid for four sessions with a trainer. He assessed me and my goals. Then he designed an exercise regimen for me to follow and guidelines to follow for my diet. I am now addicted to lifting and at 50 years old, I'm in the best shape of my life.

That's awesome! You look bomb!
  • Ayesha0624
    Options
    rdridi12 wrote: »
    rdridi12 wrote: »
    cathipa wrote: »
    The plan looks solid enough for a beginner, however the diet is so "bro". Use a calculator like Scooby to find your calories for weight loss. Eat the foods you like, weigh them, log them and stick to your goals.

ETA: 2 pounds a week is a bit excessive given your stats. Change to 0.5-1 pound a week. You will be more likely to stay on track because it isn't as restrictive.

That would put her at 40-80 weeks dieting..... If she can comfortably lose 40lbs without getting under 18% bf, there's no reason she couldn't lose 20-25 pounds in the first 10-12 weeks..... No reason to extend a calorie deficit for an extended amount of time for no reason.....

So will it be better to keep at a 2lb loss per week?

That would be my professional opinion, that you could sustain 2lbs a week at the start. I am also not saying that 1200 calories is the number of calories you need to intake to sustain 2lbs a week. If you are losing 2lbs a week, you're going to be hungry, you're going to feel a little tired. You may very well be able to lose 2lbs per week at 1600 calories. I would suggest, if 1200 calories seems too low to mentally stay with it, then increase it, see what happens to your weight at 1400 calories, maybe 1200 is right around where you need to be at to lose 2lbs per week and MFP is accurate, but it is also very possible that you have more lean mass than mfp thinks and you could be losing 2lbs per week at 1600 calories and the reason 1200 calories seems so low, is because it's really more like 3lbs per week.

Anyways, I would test it out, track your weight, track the mirror progress, and any other measurements you're interested in, and make adjustments accordingly.

I also think that if 2lbs per week is going to make you quit in 6 weeks and put on the 12 pounds again, you're better off sticking to a slower weight loss. But I do believe 2lbs per week for you could very well be doable.

Thanks man! I used the calculator from IIFYM that @alondrakayy mentioned and it suggested 1647 calories
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Ditto on pretty much what everyone else said.

[1] 2 lb/wk is probably too aggressive unless you are very obese. Slower loss will mean more energy for workout, less muscle loss, less misery.
    [2] Yes- definitely weight lift. It makes a huge difference in appearance, and the extra strength makes so many things in normal day-to-day life immensely easier.
    [3] Meh- on the specified diet. Just stick to allotted calories, and make sure you are getting enough protein and fiber (both for optimal health and for feeling full enough to stick to the allotted calories).
    [4] I would also vote for a much simpler training regimen starting out. Stronglifts 5x5, http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/the-beginner-weight-training-workout-routine/, or similar. (They are generally 2 alternating full body workouts that you do 2-3 times per week, each having roughly 1 leg, 1 push, 1 pull - all compound movements that work multiple muscles and also utilize the core for stability- as the main workout).
  • cecekay19
    cecekay19 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I'm 42, female, 5'6" and I have lost about 20 pounds in the last 9 months. I was at about 175 and am down to about 155. I didn't look fat per se, but my fat was distributed all over my body with a little extra in my thighs and gut. I'm a little stocky and have always been heavier than I look.

I started off by swimming, but then trained with a friend for a triathlon and thus started adding in more running and cycling, as well as strength exercises. I am not terribly active at work and I set my net calorie threshold to 1350. That was good to get me down around 1 pound a week, which is doable and more importantly, sustainable. I've had plateaus and times when I blew it but I've stayed on the wagon, for the most part and have lost enough weight that people have noticed since they saw me last year and have commented on the loss.

That said, I agree with others who suggest that slower loss will probably be better - it's definitely less miserable and easier to maintain in the long run.

I am doing mostly body weight exercises for now, although I do have a couple of body bars and some resistance bands. I mix things up, I like variety. I decided to do the 100 pushup challenge and 200 squat challenge using the Zen Labs apps, it trains you over 8 weeks to do that many pushups and squats in one go. I also use apps like Sworkit, Daily Workout Apps and Nike+ Training Club to get more variety in my workouts. You don't need machines when your body is plenty of weight, but machines are great for variety.

Eating habits are the hardest thing. I really need to cut down on sugar & carbs, that is my sticking point. The diet in that linked article is rather appalling. I have taken to eating more eggs and protein bars, and am looking for foods with more fiber so that I feel fuller. I can eat a whole avocado by itself and that is very satisfying to me. Throw in a couple of slices of prosciutto and that's boss. I can eat a bag of steamed vegetables, like a California Blend (broccoli, cauliflower & carrots) and it's only about 120 calories, and it does a good job to fill me up. There are a lot of nice meal suggestions in the MFP blog, but I would look for high fiber high protein foods generally speaking and try to cut down on your sugar intake.
  • paulawriteslove
    paulawriteslove Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Definitely lift! :) I'm 26 and 5'5. At my heaviest I was 220lbs, but started lifting when I was around 180lbs, now my body has settled around 160lbs.
  • Gerkenstein
    Gerkenstein Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Check out the book New Rules of Lifting for Women. Very insightful and full of helpful workouts and info. I strongly recommend it.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts 5x5 worked for me just starting out. Strong curves is a great program, but has a lot more "stuff" to it and can be a little overwhelming if you aren't familiar with all the moves. I really like the simplicity of stronglifts for beginners.

How long were you on 5x5 before you moved on?

Basically until you can't progress as the program is written. Then it's time to change it up.
  • Rusty740
    Rusty740 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Just something that hasn't been mentioned yet. When you do whatever program you do. Make sure to keep adding weight to the bar. If you do not add weight to the bar to slowly get stronger, no program will work. You'll just get really good at lift light weights for a long time :)
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    Do you have any full body workouts to recommend?

i started with stronglifts 5x5. if you're gonna lift, go barbell, was my attitude. because what's cooler than a barbell. in fact i think i mostly wanted to lift because barbells are just so damn cool :tongue: i wanted to be the person who can do that kind of stuff.

but um yeah. stronglifts was what i did, now wendler 5/31. and i do support the starting strength book/web clips for form if not for the diet recommendations. you can skip the gallon-of-milk-a-day part.

• annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    Check out the book New Rules of Lifting for Women. Very insightful and full of helpful workouts and info. I strongly recommend it.

I also highly recommend reading this book, even if you do not follow the program (which I hear can get very complicated).

The first several chapters were very eye-opening to me. (was lifting, in great shape, switched to running to 'lose those last 10 lbs', couldn't figure out why I looked flabbier).
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    For weight loss, it does not matter. Lift or do not lift. Just eat less than you burn. That's it.
    For health and fitness, you need a combination of cardio and resistance training. If this means running and lifting, or swimming and doing pilates, or taking long walks and doing body weight exercises, or whatever of the 1000 combinations of activities one can think of, it is a matter of personal preference.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Lift! The reason why metabolism slows down with age is primarily decreased muscle mass. Think of this as age prevention. The long term payouts make this a no-brainer.

Another vote for Stronglifts 5x5. The best beginner program out there. Very easy to time manage and you can incorporate anything else around this.

I think people would do much better focusing on body composition rather than get obsessed with a number on a scale. I have a good friend who is a body builder and trainer who used to spend hours in the gym just doing cardo. She switched to lifting primarily, 12 lbs heavier, but just looks fantastic.
  • beverlydawn77
    beverlydawn77 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hey guys! I need some serious support, motivation, and guidance. I'm a 25 yr. old female, 5'5, currently 186lbs. My overall goal is to lose 40lbs. I'm fat...bottom line and I've become really insecure with my body image. I just graduated college so I can finally dedicate more time and effort to my eating habits and workout routine. With that being said I've been doing a lot of research and from what I discovered weight lifting would be best for me. I found a program on body building and I want to follow it however I don't know what I'm doing I just plan on diving straight into it. Any advice for weight lifting? Perhaps your thoughts on this specific program? Eating habits? All that good stuff ya know! Also are there any females that used to be in the same bracket as me? BTW I'm "attempting" to follow MFP 1200 cal per day to lose 2 lbs a week.

Here's the link to the "cutting" weight lifting program:

https://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/felicia-romero-cutting-program.html

Thanks in advance!

• beverlydawn77
    beverlydawn77 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Do weights first then end with cardio.. you will burn more after your workout when lifting weights. I'm doing Kaellin Tuel Lady Boss program .. she gives u so much information and on her app
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    Do weights first then end with cardio.. you will burn more after your workout when lifting weights. I'm doing Kaellin Tuel Lady Boss program .. she gives u so much information and on her app

the burn is not as big as you would think. and she doesnt have to do cardio if she doesnt want to.a lot of people who lift heavy may or may not have the energy to finish with cardio. weight is lost in a deficit. not to mention you dont need to buy anything to get fit.cardio also doesnt burn fat, a deficit does and you lose more fat at rest
  • rascallycat
    rascallycat Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    If you like lifting, then lift. If you like running, then run. Do what you like to do. I personally love to lift and the feeling of strength and empowerment.
  • DayTradingMissy
    DayTradingMissy Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Yes -1. Lift and lift heavy 2. Closely monitor your diet - huge huge factor in the overall picture. Research female body building diets. Meal Prep is very important. Buy a good cooler. 3. No drugs. 4. Be consistent.