What to expect the first few weeks of maintenance

Options
Craft_queen
Craft_queen Posts: 15 Member
edited June 2017 in Goal: Maintaining Weight
Hi everyone,

So I'm on my first week of maintenance and I'm wondering what to expect. I know everyone is different but I was wondering what other people experienced the first few weeks they started maintaining. Did you lose weight, gain weight or stay the same?

If you did gain or lose weight, what did you consider normal fluctuations and at what point did you consider it a real loss or gain and possibly take action?

Thanks

Replies

• kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,994 Member
    Options
    Set a maintenance range for yourself and don't expect your weight to be just one number. I have a 5 pound range and as long as I am in that range then I know I'm good. I started slowly adding calories back instead of jumping straight to maintenance calories. I have actually had a hard time settling on my maintenance calorie goal and ending up losing about 10 or so pounds more than my original goal. It may take you a while to figure it out. Just remember that your weight will always fluctuate so you should expect it to be up and down some, but a graph of your weight should stay fairly steady instead of trending downward (or upward).
  • nichell88
    nichell88 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I just transitioned to maintenance 3 weeks ago, and my transition involved a fairly significant increase in my carb intake. So due to that, I gained 1 pound in the next week that I attributed to water weight. So I would say that if you are going to increase your carbs, expect to gain some water weight. For me, I've lost about 1.5 pounds since then and am in my maintenance range, so it went away when my body adjusted. But I'm still super new, too, so we'll see
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I lost by eating at what I thought/hoped would be my maintenance calories so I didn't really have a transition, though I did make some tweaks after I'd been maintaining for a couple of months.

I allow for about 7 lbs of variance in weight before I usually do anything about it.
  • waffle944
    waffle944 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I've been maintaining for the past few months, and definitely encourage you to 1/ keep logging calories and 2/ weigh yourself daily. Ignore the daily weight values, but you can look at the trend, like some others have mentioned -- ideally it should be flat over a timeframe, like 14 days, but if it isn't, then compare that with the average calorie intake and adjust your goal accordingly. Within a few weeks, you should have a pretty precise idea what your calorie goal should be during maintenance (it's likely a TDEE calculator won't be too far off from this).

I've personally gotten to the point where I've stopped logging as much, but still check on a weekly basis my weight trend from the past 14 days. If it starts to shift too much, then I'll start logging again, using my previously-determined maintenance calorie intake as a goal.
  • STEVE142142
    STEVE142142 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    My starting weight was 288 when I decided to go into maintenance my weight was 220 I was perfectly happy to be there. I totally screwed maintenance up I dropped down to his lowest 204 but I didn't like the way I looked I was fat skinny. Started lifting a lot and increase my calorie limit and my weight went up to about the 208-210 range and I've been like that for the past 9 months.

All I can tell you is maintenance is a learning process and it's going to be different for everybody and I'm still trying to figure it out cuz sometimes when I look at how much I eat and I'm going to myself am I over estimating my calories that I'm eating or is my body burning more calories because of my exercise load. I look at maintenance as a weekly thing I see where I am at the end of the week and I go okay I've had a good day I've had bad days. it's probably tougher than actually losing the weight.

Also what you enter maintenance use your weight as a rough indicator but it's more how your clothes feel and what you see in the mirror period even though I gained some weight I see more muscle definition and my pants fit the same as when I weighed 204 and maybe they're a little
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Getting to maintenance was a few week process... from there, the last 4.5 years have been easy. The human body strives for homeostasis... maintenance is easy.