Is this trap strain? And what to do?

Options
My sister does crossfit. She came home today with neck pain. The pain is on one side from the upper back side of the shoulder up to the neck. She feels pain if she tries to lean her head towards (not away from) the affected muscle and has no problem leaning her head to the other side. Is there anything I can do to help her?

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    Levator scapulae is also there, but trapezius fans out farther to the shoulder. Or it could be a pinched nerve. Either way, regular, light stretching and also warmth should help, and massaging it could help too.

Does she know what caused it?

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    She thinks it may have been an overhead press.
  • amusedmonkey
    Options
    Bump, and yes, the pain presented itself during an overhead press.
  • postchi1
    postchi1 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    RICE is first port of call,

repeat 10 min on 10 off,

48hr post injury start to look at soft tissue massage/ range of movement stretches.

If its muscular it may swell appear red or be very warm to touch.

Due to muscle having an excellent blood supply recovery tends to be quicker than tendons/ligaments etc
  • allother94
    allother94 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    My sister does crossfit. She came home today with neck pain. The pain is on one side from the upper back side of the shoulder up to the neck. She feels pain if she tries to lean her head towards (not away from) the affected muscle and has no problem leaning her head to the other side. Is there anything I can do to help her?

Throw some salt over her shoulder, say 10 Hail Marys, and light a candle. Works every time.
  • allother94
    allother94 Posts: 588 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Yes, let’s all hope.

On a different note, I don’t think the search function is working as intended...
  • amusedmonkey
    Options
    What a curious thread to resurrect. Yes, the search function is pretty messy.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,618 Member
    Options
    So what happened with sis??!?!!