Need to gain 4+ pounds, please help

Options
I'm supposed to be gaining weight, and I have been, but not at the speed I'm expected to. I don't have an eating disorder by the way, I'm just a little underweight. On Friday, I'm getting weighed and need to be at least 4-5 pounds heavier. I obviously can't gain all that weight by then, so it'll need to be temporary weight (like water). I was thinking about having a bagel with cream cheese & blueberries for carbs and maybe some pickles for sodium right before. Also right before, I'd have a smoothie made with 1.5 cups of fruit, 1/2 cup of riced cauliflower, 3/4 cup of almond milk, Benecalorie, and an Ensure Plus (I know they're full of junk but I'm forced to drink them). I had the same smoothie today and weighed myself right before and after eating it and my weight went up about a pound. How much do you think the bagel and pickles will affect my weight, and will drinking 40 ounces of water with it (that's how much I've been drinking before weigh ins) do anything to those effects? Does anyone have any tips or better ways to gain that weight?

Replies

• Rammer123
    Rammer123 Posts: 679 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    4 pounds would be 64 ounces of water..... I think you should be fine with everything you just mentioned... but you could also increase your sodium levels as well and just eat more food over the next few days
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,218 Member
    Options
    I had to do something similar when I joined the Army waaaay back when. lol

The minimum weight for my height to join was 135# and I was about 5-6 pounds under. What I did was chug an entire gallon of milk prior (about 8 pounds) to going to the MEPS station. The only problem was that the weigh-in occured about an hour after we all arrived and by then my bladder was about to go nova. However, I did make it to the scale without an accident and I made weigh in. ;)

But why do YOU have to make weight? Joining the military? ... I'm trying to think of a reason and other than a physical for entrance into the military/police/corrections/somejob I can't think of one.

• jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,218 Member
    Options
    rdridi12 wrote: »
    4 pounds would be 64 ounces of water..... I think you should be fine with everything you just mentioned... but you could also increase your sodium levels as well and just eat more food over the next few days

... heck, creatine loading over the next few days would give her 4 pounds of water weight... but I'm still curious as to WHY.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Making weight for a tournament?
  • Rusty740
    Rusty740 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Eat a large bag of potato chips today and tomorrow. This is horrible junk food, but two things will happen. 1) You will gain weight due to the high amount of fat (you'll be getting 1200-1400 calories per bag) and 2) the high amount of sodium will make you retain water for a few days. You can get organic if you want to pretend you're being healthy.

Oh yeah, you should probably just do this instead...
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    Hailey, I mean this in the kindest way possible. Just be honest with the weigh in. Honesty in where you are will ensure the support you get is appropriate for you. Best wishes. Be kind to yourself.

• stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    jseams1234 wrote: »
    rdridi12 wrote: »

... heck, creatine loading over the next few days would give her 4 pounds of water weight... but I'm still curious as to WHY.

This is a much more useful suggestion than chugging water.

I'm also curious about why. I'd go with 5g@3xday for a fast load and minimal discomfort.
  • Rebecca0224
    Rebecca0224 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    jseams1234 wrote: »
    I had to do something similar when I joined the Army waaaay back when. lol

The minimum weight for my height to join was 135# and I was about 5-6 pounds under. What I did was chug an entire gallon of milk prior (about 8 pounds) to going to the MEPS station. The only problem was that the weigh-in occured about an hour after we all arrived and by then my bladder was about to go nova. However, I did make it to the scale without an accident and I made weigh in. ;)

But why do YOU have to make weight? Joining the military? ... I'm trying to think of a reason and other than a physical for entrance into the military/police/corrections/somejob I can't think of one.

I had to gain weight to hoin the Army also .25lbs, I was so mad. I ate peanut butter sandwiches and drank a lot of milk it was horrible but I made it.