I weighed myself every day for 30+ days

Options
http://imgur.com/jKvimGe

I ate at a consistent calorie deficit every day, but as you can see, the scale varied by up to two pounds in just 24 hours (due to water weight, etc).

My point is not to get discouraged if you're taking just two relatively recent data points. As it may not accurately reflect your true fat loss.

Replies

• AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    I use the Happy Scale app. It takes a "moving average" - helps with the fluctuations.
  • xsmilexforxmex
    xsmilexforxmex Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Fluctuations, sometimes very significant ones, are common and completely to be expected. And weight loss isn't a linear process.

Here's a screenshot of my daily weights for the last 3 months (I've weighed daily for over 21 months now):

i3hrlf11t56r.png

I'm actually really happy to see this because mine changes like that as well - I'll have a few days at a good down slope, then suddenly I'm up 3 lbs from the line. -_-
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I've weighed myself daily for over a year.

I enter all of the data on Excel and calculate a 7 day moving ave each day, which smooths out the variations.
  • ijsantos2005
    ijsantos2005 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily, too. Here is my last 3 months. Lots of ups and downs, perfectly nice downward trend. I don't get hung up on daily fluctuations.

y2ahflpvs8vt.png

That's a really smooth line!
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    Just a few minor fluctuations... :wink:
    nnvdgpdnupaq.jpg
    Started calorie counting around Day 1300...

• acopeland321
    acopeland321 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    This is so true. Especially for women around different times in their cycles.
  • Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily, too. Here is my last 3 months. Lots of ups and downs, perfectly nice downward trend. I don't get hung up on daily fluctuations.

y2ahflpvs8vt.png

I agree. Your upwards spikes don't even seem to be up!
  • thewindandthework
    thewindandthework Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Pretty much the point of TrendWeight is to see the general trend without getting sidetracked by peaks and valleys. So yeah, the image I posted does look pretty smooth if you look at the line, but the individual dots are my actual weight. So if you look at it in MFP's graph, the same three months look like this:
    571hvuy0fbz5.png
    Definitely a downward trend, and so far I've only had one week where I really didn't get anywhere, but there are very visible ups and downs every week.
  • GrumpyHeadmistress
    GrumpyHeadmistress Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Spot the cycles!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Luna3386 wrote: »

y2ahflpvs8vt.png

I agree. Your upwards spikes don't even seem to be up!

I was thinking the same thing! I don't see even one dot above the line in the whole 3mths. My chart is most definitely not as perfect.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Oh yes! Here are my days on the exact same deficit:

sl9g66l1ku2w.png