Butter/Oil substitute

Options
I saute a lot of foods, but I'm finding that the butter I use is one of my main sources of fat and sodium. What do you use to saute that might be a little more healthy?

Replies

• crb426
    crb426 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    I am all about real butter and oil. Fats, in moderation, are your friend in dieting. You could buy unsalted butter. Just maybe use a little less if you are worried about the added calories, but you shouldn't worry about fat alone.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    If you're trying to cut fat to reduce calories, I've had good results "sauteing" foods in a bit of water or vegetable broth. It's a completely different flavor, but it can work for things like soups where you're adding a lot of different things anyway.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I got nuthin'. Nothing can replace the taste/texture of frying foods in butter or oil. You could try pam or something like that.
  • Mousaroni
    Mousaroni Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I avoid oil (and I'm vegan so no butter) and I use vegetable broth for everything :)
  • PinkCuddleMonster
    PinkCuddleMonster Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    crb426 wrote: »
    I am all about real butter and oil. Fats, in moderation, are your friend in dieting. You could buy unsalted butter. Just maybe use a little less if you are worried about the added calories, but you shouldn't worry about fat alone.

I can't use less because I don't use non-stick cookware. I use as little as I can. But it's still like two tablespoons.
  • PinkCuddleMonster
    Options
    If you're trying to cut fat to reduce calories, I've had good results "sauteing" foods in a bit of water or vegetable broth. It's a completely different flavor, but it can work for things like soups where you're adding a lot of different things anyway.

I'll try the water thing. Or like half water and half butter. Thanks for the suggestion.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Having you tried baking in the oven using baking paper, which prevents foods sticking
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Unsalted butter or olive oil. You can reduce the quantity by about a quarter by using a pastry brush to oil your pan.

PS I use real pans too; cast iron. A well seasoned pan does not need too much extra oil.
  • sexygatubela77
    sexygatubela77 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I use butter or avocado oil.
  • PinkCuddleMonster
    Options
    Mousaroni wrote: »
    I avoid oil (and I'm vegan so no butter) and I use vegetable broth for everything :)

I'll probably try that eventually too. Thanks. You guys have great ideas.
  • FeraFilia
    FeraFilia Posts: 4,664 Member
    Options
    I use unsalted butter, avocado oil, or olive oil... just not a lot.
  • PinkCuddleMonster
    Options
    Having you tried baking in the oven using baking paper, which prevents foods sticking

Yes. I do that for some things. But there are curtain stables in my diet that I'm not happy without.
  • PinkCuddleMonster
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Unsalted butter or olive oil. You can reduce the quantity by about a quarter by using a pastry brush to oil your pan.

PS I use real pans too; cast iron. A well seasoned pan does not need too much extra oil.

I use stainless steal. I tried to use cast iron but it's a skill I don't possess. I burnt EVERYTHING. lol.
  • LilacLion
    LilacLion Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    yep, I'm on the broth or a bit of water for saute too. Lemon or lime juice makes a nice flavor too. And pastry paper in the oven (even in loaf pans). Why waste calories on yucky oil when there's no nutrition involved? It doesn't take long for taste buds to change and then things just taste greasy.
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Unsalted butter, or one of the many oils out there. Olive, avocado, coconut, grapeseed.... will reduce sodium. All are similar in calories, and fat is a nutrient- just in moderation. We need some- ever heard what happened to pioneers who lived on rabbit as their main food?

When I want to use less oil, I use a misto to spray it and put it in the oven, toaster oven, or air fryer.
  • LisaMoxon155
    LisaMoxon155 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I saute a lot of foods, but I'm finding that the butter I use is one of my main sources of fat and sodium. What do you use to saute that might be a little more healthy?

Not sure where unlive but im in the uk and use flora spray (3 calrioes per spray)
    U can even get stuff that is only 1 calrioe.
  • PinkCuddleMonster
    Options
    Thanks everyone for their help. I'm trying water this morning to see if I can handle using it for at least my breakfast.