I found the best way to kick-start your diet!!!

Orphia
Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
I learned that if you need a kick-start, I bet you haven't got what it takes to reach your eventual goal.

To succeed, you need to educate yourself.

Not by listening to idiots like Gwyneth Paltrow, Food Babe, Paleo Pete, David Avocado Wolfe, Natural News, or any of those other nutters with neither intelligence nor a conscience trying to sell you their products.

Read the sticky threads in the General Weight Loss forum. They're called the "Most Helpful Posts" for a reason!

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10300319/most-helpful-posts-general-diet-and-weight-loss-help-must-reads

A small, sustainable weekly weight loss goal will help you stick to your plan for as long as it takes.

Eat the foods that satisfy you within your calorie limit. Avoid crash diets that lead to crash-and-burns.

Good luck.

Replies

• clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Patience, yes. Ugh. It takes SOOO MUCH PATIENCE. And you think "but I'm BEING patient!" but you're not being patient ENOUGH.

It does help me (1) to remind myself that I didn't reach my heaviest weight in 6 weeks or even 6 months, so I'm not likely to slim down in that kind of time, either, and (2) to look at my progress meter to remind myself that a month ago I was feeling the exact same frustrations about not losing... at 5 lb up from where I am... and a month before THAT it was the exact same story 5 lb up from THAT.
  • scyran
    scyran Posts: 16 Member
    Thank you all! This is a great reminder for a newbie who is sometimes very short on patience. Well done!
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,562 Member
    Too easy and cheap, imo ;)
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Great post OP!
  • Tried30UserNames
    Tried30UserNames Posts: 561 Member
    edited June 2017
    I learned that if you need a kick-start, I bet you haven't got what it takes to reach your eventual goal.

- That seems pretty harsh and rather absolute. I think it depends on the person. Some do very well with a quick win before settling into the long, slow slog. Others are fine starting out the way they mean to continue. I also think everyone has "got what it takes" to reach their goal.

To succeed, you need to educate yourself.

- Yes, that's helpful for everyone.

Not by listening to idiots like Gwyneth Paltrow, Food Babe, Paleo Pete, David Avocado Wolfe, Natural News, or any of those other nutters with neither intelligence nor a conscience trying to sell you their products.

- GP has created some fantastic recipes. She uses a lot of fresh herbs for great flavor and I use her recipes a lot. Herbed poached chicken, miso sweet potato, apple cinnamon oatmeal and Nicoise salad recipes from her website are some of my favorites. I'm not familiar with any of these other people/sites.

Read the sticky threads in the General Weight Loss forum. They're called the "Most Helpful Posts" for a reason!

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10300319/most-helpful-posts-general-diet-and-weight-loss-help-must-reads

A small, sustainable weekly weight loss goal will help you stick to your plan for as long as it takes.

Eat the foods that satisfy you within your calorie limit. Avoid crash diets that lead to crash-and-burns.

- I agree with this second half of your post.

• Rusty740
    Rusty740 Posts: 749 Member
    But I love David Avocado Woo.lfe.., Facebook would be no fun anymore if he went away... :/
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    You guys get it! Well, those who combat woo, at least!
  • Tq43
    Tq43 Posts: 85 Member
    Thank you, thank you , thank you ! I am the MOST impatient person on the planet ! I want instant results...lol!!
    I started MFP 5 weeks ago. I've lost 9 pounds altogether and I've another 7 to lose. Weight is coming off slowly but steadily.
    I do get frustrated cos it's a lot of hard work but I'm seeing the results for sure .
    I need to keep reminding myself that this is a life change not a faddy diet ! I feel so much better in myself so I hope that'll keep me motivated !
    Thank you for reminding me it's a marathon not a sprint !
  • NettieBess
    NettieBess Posts: 19 Member
    I have over 100 lbs to lose so I can't see a "kick start" actually making much of a difference. I guess I just have to learn to be patient - not easy at 57 when you've always be impulsive! But the impulse to eat cream cakes is what got me here so ... patience here I come! Wish me luck folks!
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Wait.... No detoxes? No cleanses? What is this sorcery you speak of?
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member

- That seems pretty harsh and rather absolute. I think it depends on the person. Some do very well with a quick win before settling into the long, slow slog. Others are fine starting out the way they mean to continue. I also think everyone has "got what it takes" to reach their goal.

I was thinking the same thing. Everyone has what it takes. Some people just need to different approaches to get there, and for some people, that initial big loss, or finally getting past those couple pounds they've been losing or gaining for several months is very motivating. Some people need a "kickstart" to help clear out some of the obstacles they find challenging in terms of getting on track with their weight loss. Maybe it means following a 5 day diet plan to get them back in the swing of preparing foods at home, or bulk cooking, or just getting away from relying on convenience foods as much.

One of the techniques used in goal setting is to make a goal "timebound," so using the kickstart approach of small amounts of time actually makes really good sense. When I'm struggling during a run, I don't focus on the larger distance I have to go, I focus on one more minute, or getting to that tree. Because I know I can do anything for a minute, or I know I can get to that tree. If all I focused on was the larger amount, it would be that much harder.

So my feeling is, do whatever you need to do. We all know what approaches work best for us as individuals when it comes to tackling a task or reaching a goal, don't let someone else discourage you for using a different approach to get to your goal or tell you that you shouldn't do something that is helpful to you because they don't need or want to do it.