5x5 Strong Lifts question- do you also do other exercises or should I only stick with the 3?

Options
I've started lifting with the 5x5 Strong Lifts app and feel like I get through the reps for those 3 exercises fairly quickly- usually in about 25 minutes. When I'm done I've been spending another 15-20 minutes doing cardio but I really want to focus on weights right now. Can, or should, I be doing other lifts if I have more time or is cardio a better filler of time? I have about 45 minutes of free time that I can work out at a gym, every other day, so I'm trying to use up all that time.

Replies

• girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    you should really just do the exercises as proscribed, in that order. When the weights get heavier, it'll start taking longer.

stick with the programme as is for now, and carry on as you are with the cardio.
  • fatboy235
    fatboy235 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Good morning. I've been doing the 5x5 program for about 5 months now. I felt the same way you did in the beginning. Now that we are at heavy weights I'm completely spent. If you buy the app I think it's $9.99 you can choose additional exercises. Also there is videos on youtube. If you type ice cream fitness 5x5 you'll find some info. Good Luck
  • Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    That will change as your weights increase
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    You can fill in for now- but as noted- this will change.

I do a program in the winter and the first two weeks are a cake walk- I just accept the free time and move on. I know by week 4 it's a *kitten* show.
  • abbynormalartist
    abbynormalartist Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Gotta say, while I get through it fast, it's not easy by any means... and that's with baby weights. I was doing squats with 65lbs and shaking all over. I'm not great at taking breaks in between sets, either. I'm not comfortable just standing around the gym, not doing anything, so that might be why I go through it fast.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    If you really feel the need to do extra, try the Ice Cream Fitness (ICF 5x5) program. It's essentially StrongLifts with some additional lifts. You don't even need to do all of the extra lifts, if you don't want - but it'll give you a good idea of what else to do, with set/reps for each.
  • thetrishwarp
    thetrishwarp Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Gotta say, while I get through it fast, it's not easy by any means... and that's with baby weights. I was doing squats with 65lbs and shaking all over. I'm not great at taking breaks in between sets, either. I'm not comfortable just standing around the gym, not doing anything, so that might be why I go through it fast.

Resting between sets is important! Often I will do some light stretching between sets so I feel like I'm doing something (and so people don't complain about me sitting on my bench checking my phone at the gym hahaha). My rule of thumb is I will start my set at the beginning of a song, and then rest until the song ends. That way I know I'm not rushing myself.

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »

I guess you and I were typing at the same time earlier, as I didn't see this until now.

Mark Rippetoe (the guy who wrote Starting Strength) has a saying regarding rest, which I'll paraphrase: rest as long as you need to complete the reps/sets properly. If you're shaking all over, you need a little more rest. He generally recommends up to 3-5 minutes for "normal" rest periods, with up to ~8 minutes when near max lifting - just don't get "cold." I typically rest 5 minutes between working sets, even if I don't "feel" like I need that much. I've found the hard way that just because I didn't think I needed the extra minute or so rest, I really did.

it's tricky- resting long enough- but not getting cold.

On really heavy days I bring sweats to put on between sets so my legs retain warmth.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Maybe lat pulls on deadlift day (some of the other simple routines sub out the squats for it on that day) to get in an upper body pull.

You'll need those rest periods soon enough in order to not fail a set. I hate just standing around too, and use that time to stretch and do sit-ups/planks (no planks during squats though since it also uses your legs)(sit-ups might be a bad idea too if you find you really need to work your core to stabilize during that particular exercise).

Don't forget warmup sets. It normally takes me at least 40 minutes to get through everything (including a 4 minute warm-up run) when the gym is empty. I even switched to 3x8 to get out of there faster and back to work.

And ditto on form over progression. Starting Strength has a lot of very good detail on form.

(edit: typo)
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    In time if will take longer... my stretching routine before I lift takes about 10 minutes... with 5 warm up sets... just squats takes me near 35-45 minutes... the one gap I have found in 5x5 is the hamstrings and lower and mid glutes... I add walking lunges to pick up the slack... high reps low sets... like 25 repsx 3 sets...as you approach your maxes, you will naturally look for exercises that will help you get past those max lifts... make sure you set goals... remember 5x5 is an entry level program designed to create habits, improve technique and offer visible gains... you will know when to expand your workout beyond the basic lifts
  • Katiebear_81
    Katiebear_81 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Definitely take your rests. If you're using the app, wait for the timer to go off, it's only 1.5 minutes. Are you also doing warm up sets? I do three sets of 5 with increasing weight (you might want to go up 5 lbs each warm up set) until you're at your prescribed set. This will increase your volume a tiny bit and will definitely help fill in some time. :)

I do a bit of auxiliary work with my SL program. On deadlift/ohp day, I do pull ups/chin ups (assisted for now). I like the idea of the symmetry - I've done a bunch of presses, so I should do some pulling. You could do a lat pull down instead, if that's more your jam. On bench/row days, I'll usually add in some hip thrusters, or hamstring curls. Each time I do a weighted carry and some planks/hanging leg raises. And I skip cardio all together, but am considering adding a 4th day that is some light cardio/mobility work/possibly sprinting.
  • Scotty2HotPie
    Scotty2HotPie Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Are you doing warm up sets? I always thought it was 5 working sets, so I usually do 1 or 2 warm up sets before getting into the main workout.
  • asundseth
    asundseth Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Yes you can do other exercises but just do them after the 5x5 lifts so that you dont take away from the main routine.
  • JitsJay
    JitsJay Posts: 1 Member
    Options

Make sure you have some good tunes. My breaks are about 2 minutes which feels like an eternity but about half a song.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

This is something you should start getting comfortable with because you're not going to progress the way you should without resting between sets.
  • Penthesilea514
    Penthesilea514 Posts: 1,189 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    The Strong app has a good timer associated with it as you progress through your workout. It defaults to 2 minute rest timer but you can +/- 30 sec as needed. So you can input your workout and as you complete each set, it starts the timer.
  • 0stephj0
    0stephj0 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Might also help to find a gym with different equipment inventory? If you're at a gym with only a couple bars for free weights and 30 ellipticals, then I can imagine there is stress to get thru quickly. Definitely helps to have a buddy too. They can do their rep while you rest and visa versa. Ultimately, rests are great and being comfortable with them is important.
  • GingerPwr
    GingerPwr Posts: 1,979 Member
    Options

I also feel kind of self conscious just standing there waiting to lift again, but you need the rest so you don't deplete your muscles too much. When you are on the lighter weights, you don't need to rest the full 90 seconds between sets, but now that I'm on week 3, I'm resting the full time. If you struggle with your set, rest a little longer than the 90 seconds.