Actual calories burned - help!

Options
Hey MFP Hivemind!

I'm taking a kickboxing class. It's a solid hour of kicking, punching, cardio, and circuits (like burpees, abs, deadlifts, Jacobs ladder type stuff). I sweat the entire class.

I plug an hour into MFP and it spits out 915 calories burned. I think that's absurd. I'm not looking for the exact number here, but would be a good ballpark figure for a 200 lb 5, 7" female for something like this?

Replies

• Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    Do you know what your resting heart rate is? Do you know how long out of that time your HR is peak mode? What your average HR is? You can at least do a crude estimate, using those numbers. Shape Sense has some calculators you can use to at least see if the numbers are reasonable.

At first glance, the number looks like it might be high, but not absurd. Maybe 600-750 or so...
  • lioness803
    lioness803 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I don't think that the number is that high. I would maybe try a few different calories burned calculators and get some kind of average from them
  • postchi1
    postchi1 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Impossible to say without HR and intensity. Fitbit would aid with the HR and give a rough guide , isnt gospel on cal expenditure
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I agree that number sounds too high, even at your current body size.

I would say most people who are training near max intensity burn between 200 and 350 calories every 30 minutes. Any more than this and it sounds fishy.
  • RaptorMommy
    RaptorMommy Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone! I've been manually editing it to 300 calories when I log it. I don't know my resting HR and don't have a Fitbit. But I know how to check my pulse so lll try to do that periodically as an experiment. Thanks for your responses!
    I had no idea that I could burn 600 calories in an hour! Wow!
  • Rammer123
    Rammer123 Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    I mean its definitely possible. But it all depends on your intensity, for you, you've probably got to be killing it the entire hour, dripping sweat, out of breath, heart rate high, nearly the entire time. Definitely possible though
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Do you know how the intensity compares with running for you? (Running calories can be estimated pretty well, and might give you a ballpark idea).
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone! I've been manually editing it to 300 calories when I log it. I don't know my resting HR and don't have a Fitbit. But I know how to check my pulse so lll try to do that periodically as an experiment. Thanks for your responses!

300 sounds reasonable to me. If you find you're losing too quickly you can always bump it up.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    My guess is 200cal per 30 mins.
  • Bluebell2325
    Bluebell2325 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I got 380 per hour for my karate class (garmin), but I'm dubious as I'd equate about 100 to running a mile. So 3.8 miles. I suppose it maybe on the low side?? That's a brisk walking pace 3.8 miles in an hour (for my little legs).
  • RaptorMommy
    RaptorMommy Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    ritzvin wrote: »
    Do you know how the intensity compares with running for you? (Running calories can be estimated pretty well, and might give you a ballpark idea).

At times, it's just as intense as running 6.0 on a treadmill, but it's definitely not that intense during the entire class. Only during the latter half of the high impact aerobic exercises do I feel like that. My breath and heart rate bounces around a lot because we switch back and forth between super intense and just, I don't know, regular intense, lol! My heart rate is definitely up for most of the class, but not in a "hold on while
    I barf" level, if that makes sense.

• ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    ritzvin wrote: »

At times, it's just as intense as running 6.0 on a treadmill, but it's definitely not that intense during the entire class. Only during the latter half of the high impact aerobic exercises do I feel like that. My breath and heart rate bounces around a lot because we switch back and forth between super intense and just, I don't know, regular intense, lol! My heart rate is definitely up for most of the class, but not in a "hold on while
    I barf" level, if that makes sense.

You could try breaking it down into a few runs/jogs/walks of estimated mileage and speed, total, and see what ballpark number it gives).
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options

300 sounds too low for an hour of constant exertion for a person who weighs 200 pounds. It's got to be at least 500. (Though I agree that 900 sounds too high.)

Calorie burns are strongly dependent on your size. So, when you read that somebody who weighs 120 pounds burns X calories doing something, realize that you will burn a lot more. For now, that's the good news. The bad news is that, as you get smaller, your burns drop. But, on the plus side, you're getting smaller.

I tend to use my husband and I as a good example since he weighs 80 pounds more than me and is 9 inches taller. Yesterday, we did basically the same stuff (which included a lot of physical activity). I burned about 3000 calories for the whole day (including BMR). He burned about 4500. :tongue:
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    I play with my calorie burns with trial and error when i don't know the exact burn. I would start with saying that burned 600 calories and your and see how you feel after 6 weeks of logging that.