Combating "Deep Fat" around the Organs

Options
So, my DH is starting to become interested in losing weight and exercising. I'm very happy for him. I believe that what we choose to eat does have a direct impact on our health.... but as far as losing weight, it's a simple mathematical equation of calories in VS. calories out. If you want to burn fat, you simply take in fewer calories than you burn. And, it is my understanding that we can't choose where and when our body chooses to burn the fat (whether on the abdomen, arms, thighs, etc). So, my DH is thinking that he needs to eat a certain way and exercise in a certain way to burn "deep fat." He's concerned about fatty liver, which he did have a couple years ago. But what is "deep fat?" Is it a thing? Or is it one of the millions of stupid weight-loss fads?

Replies

• scarlett_k
    scarlett_k Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Fat around the organs will decrease as a person loses (fat) weight. I very much doubt that there's any specific exercise or diet you can do to selectively reduce organ fat.
  • Poisonedpawn78
    Poisonedpawn78 Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    pretty sure deep fat is not a thing. with regards to fatty liver it can be reversed by just losing weight. Basically the body has so much fat that its run out of places to put it and stored some inside the liver itself. However he will definitely want to start his weight loss journey as there is increased risk of liver issues if left untreated(doesn't lose the weight)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    suzievv wrote: »
    So, my DH is starting to become interested in losing weight and exercising. I'm very happy for him. I believe that what we choose to eat does have a direct impact on our health.... but as far as losing weight, it's a simple mathematical equation of calories in VS. calories out. If you want to burn fat, you simply take in fewer calories than you burn. And, it is my understanding that we can't choose where and when our body chooses to burn the fat (whether on the abdomen, arms, thighs, etc). So, my DH is thinking that he needs to eat a certain way and exercise in a certain way to burn "deep fat." He's concerned about fatty liver, which he did have a couple years ago. But what is "deep fat?" Is it a thing? Or is it one of the millions of stupid weight-loss fads?

Isn't that a question for DH seeing as he's the one who thinks it's a thing??
  • suzievv
    suzievv Posts: 410 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    There's visceral fat and subcutaneous fat. Visceral is around the organs and it's the more dangerous kind because it causes added stress to them. Your body tends to use this kind first naturally. You can't target that fat.

As for fatty liver, if he suffers from that there are things to do to protect himself from further problems. Those are drinking adequate water, not drinking alcohol, not losing weight rapidly, and reducing carbs/sugars. It's a matter of not stressing the liver any more than necessary until the fat is gone.

This is very insightful. Thank you!!!
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Visceral fat will decrease as total body fat decreases.

There is currently some research going on that inulin (type of fibre) can help. It occurs naturally in chicory, stevia, leeks & onions to name just a few.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    "Deep fat" around the internal organs in the abdomen is part of what is known as VAT (Visceral Adipose Tissue). Excess VAT is asociated w/numerous health problems.

See: https://draxe.com/visceral-fat/

I do not believe that there is any way to target VAT loss. Not sure if the body actually burns off VAT 1st. If so, why do so many people complain so frequently about being unable to lose belly fat? However, generally speaking, if you lose weight and BF overall, you will also lose VAT.

A DXA scan is the only commerically available technology that I know of that will give you a measurement of the estimated wt and volume of VAT in your body. I've had 4 DXA scans done in the past 4 months.

In Aug 2016, my VAT was measured at 1.4# (41.5 cu in) when I weighed 172# with 20.3% BF overall. And in Feb 2017, my VAT was measured at 0.38# (11 cu in) when I weighed 160# with 14% BF overall.

My VAT declined 1# & was reduced in vol by 30.5 cu in when I lost 12# of BW and reduced my BF by 6.3% over this 6 month period.

I did not eat anything special or do any unique exercises to target VAT reduction. Just CICO on a deficit diet, lifting and some cardio for strength development and weight loss.

Your "DH" shouldn't need to otherwise to avhieve similar results.