Is a weight loss "Challenge" a good idea?

Options
I've been on here for a while now, and sometimes I can tell by the subject line how some users will respond. :smile: I am your biggest fan and I appreciate your knowledge. I don't know what you all think about Challenges, though.
Since weight loss is non-linear, eating less can make you malnourished or hangry, and changing your exercise routine can cause temporary water weight gain, is a weight loss challenge even a good idea? Is "slow and steady" better?

I've been steadily losing weight since January, maybe half a pound less each month which is to be expected as my BMR drops. In May I lost 4 pounds. I weigh my food by grams and ounces and track everything I eat, my exercise has mainly been walking, yard work, and yoga. I track with a Fitbit Alta HR and eat back half of my Fitbit-reported exercise calories.
Start: 182
Current: 154
Goal: 132
Days: 159
I'm thinking about trying to lose 5 1/2 pounds by June 28, so I hit my "2/3 to goal" mark at 180 days. Not unreasonable, but an increase from my trend and I don't want to "upset the apple cart" of my good work so far by doing anything too severe. I did day 1 of the C25K program yesterday and it went fine, I'm eager to continue that and it should increase my calorie deficit.

So what's the consensus on Challenges? Good, bad, within certain guidelines? Thanks!

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I personally don't like weight loss challenges as the focus is really just about the scale...not health, not fitness, not really betterment...just some number on the scale...and it often results in people doing dumb things for a number.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Challenges can be good motivation and provide accountability. Yours is a short term one and potentially attainable. You understand that weight loss isn't linear. I don't see an issue with joining a challenge.
  • tabletop_joe
    tabletop_joe Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    I think they're fine, though I can see the merit of your critiques.

I guess I would hesitate to join a challenge if I suspected failure would derail or demoralize me. My attitude is to aim high with challenges, just to see what will happen. And if I fall short of a lofty goal, I still win.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,476 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Cliche alert-

The trend is your friend.

If it ain't broke, dont fix it.

I think time driven WL is a bad idea. It's a way to turn success, losses, into failure, not fast enough. Time to start thinking of the end game. Not your goal, the real end game- maintaining. You are poised for a soft landing. I would ride that trend and hope it takes me all the way home. If you make goal and can maintain there, you will never think about the time it took again.

Failure to accept success as it comes is a reason a lot of folks don't make it. It's working. C'mon.

You have let this "not good enough" thought in your head, get it out.
  • mca90guitar
    mca90guitar Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Think it's ok, I'm doing the June one bit I'm not starving myself for it, pushing myself harder in workouts though.

Didn't see any prize money in that thread so I'm not going to go to extremes to drop a few pounds.
  • Kathryn247
    Kathryn247 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    This is all good stuff! I'm totally happy with how it's going, which is why I hesitate to change anything. Honestly the only reason for this goal is that I like it when numbers match up! :smiley:
    I wasn't planning to join a challenge group or anything, just set a goal for myself. I might make it "stick with the C25K training for June" which is something I've wanted to do anyway, and maybe I'll hit the scale number in the process.
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I think you should stick with what's been working. Maintenance is a bear. Many fail at it. It's almost easier to just have to lose something.