Help needed to stay motivated

Options
I'm having trouble trying to stay motivated in both my diet and exercise. I've been on a 1200cal diet for a little over 2 and a half years. I've lost 105lbs with the diet and walking 4 miles a day. I hit a plateau over the winter months. I've gained 8lbs during that time. I have a bad habit of eating when I'm bored. I need some advice on how to get back on track so I can continue with the diet and maintain a reasonable weight.

Replies

• tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,717 Member
    Options
    Amazing job on the weight loss! That's great!

At this point it may be best to focus on non-food / non-diet related goals. You say you're walking 4 miles a day, which is great but maybe start adding in resistance training. You don't need a gym. Start with body weight exercises. They look deceptively easy but they can be quite a challenge.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    How many pounds do you have left to lose? Did you reach goal when you lost 105 pounds - congrats on that! - and gained 8 pounds back?

If you only have 8 pounds to lose, change your weekly weight loss goal to a half pound per week, and enjoy those extra calories.

Also, looks like from your screen name you are a nurse? Do you walk a lot and have an activity tracker? Unless you are very, very short, it really seems like you could eat a lot more than 1200 calories, and this will make losing weight much less onerous.

I'm less inclined to snack when I get sufficient sleep, protein, and exercise.
  • packapunch1
    packapunch1 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Wow congrats!!! And for me what I do I find a different hobby to keep me active so I bought roller blades and fell in love with it! Your never to old to skate and great for your joints low impact activity that can keep your heart pumping and you just zone out Listening to your music and skate

If I'm not going to skate I try to edit videos , and I bough a old vanity going to restore it to looking better that will also have me mentally busy if I don't work because when I have nothing to do I just think about getting food

Well this is what I do and it's been working, I see you are motivated because you have came so far! It's just time you need to fill with hobbies or other things you can enjoy other than food you know?

Trust me not only will your mind be a bit distracted with food but you will be more happier doing things and things you will want to try and find out you enjoy to do! You got this!
  • AngelaNoriega78
    AngelaNoriega78 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your advise. My target weight was 150lbs and I did reach that goal. I'm just trying to lose the 8lbs i gained back. I'm not super short I'm 5'4. My husband and son are very supportive. My son is actually my walking partner. I think your right I need to find a hobby that I enjoy. I was working the floor as a nurse which required constant walking. In February I was promoted to a more administrative position responsible for hiring and care plans. The position is great but less active. I was trying to get some walking in on my lunch breaks but I live in Oklahoma and it's roughly 100 degress here so the weather is not ideal.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Make time early morning or evening when it's cooler for walking in summer. You'll love the beauty of sunrise or sunset.