What an I doing wrong some real advice needed please

Options
2»

Replies

• Nissi51
    Nissi51 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    If you'd like specific feedback, open your food diary.
    Are you doing any strength training?
  • snooze1980
    Options
    Perhaps, but I'm finally losing weight again and I suppose I'm too scared to up the calories...

thats fair enough, after all, not everyone wants nice shiny hair, long nails, good skin or muscle!

That's a tad unfair - I'm not restricting my calories for more than a few months to get down to my goal weight. Plus I eat plenty of fish and nuts etc and take a daily multi vitamin. I can hardly see myself wasting away any time soon. And for the record, my skin is clear and my hair shiny, thank you.
  • adorable_aly
    adorable_aly Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Perhaps, but I'm finally losing weight again and I suppose I'm too scared to up the calories...

thats fair enough, after all, not everyone wants nice shiny hair, long nails, good skin or muscle!

That's a tad unfair - I'm not restricting my calories for more than a few months to get down to my goal weight. Plus I eat plenty of fish and nuts etc and take a daily multi vitamin. I can hardly see myself wasting away any time soon. And for the record, my skin is clear and my hair shiny, thank you.

Question: so what happens when you want to eat normally again?
  • snooze1980
    Options

Question: so what happens when you want to eat normally again?

As I mentioned in my OP, I will up my calories to my BMR and continue with the regular work outs to maintain. As I'm currently losing 1-2 lbs per week, if I up my calories gradually, I cannot see myself gaining weight by upping them by an additional 500 per day.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

you may well be fine now, and for a good few weeks to come, but the longer you eat so few calories the more chance of doing yourself real harm, lowering your metabolism and losing muscle.
  • snooze1980
    Options

you may well be fine now, and for a good few weeks to come, but the longer you eat so few calories the more chance of doing yourself real harm, lowering your metabolism and losing muscle.

Indeed, hence this is only a temporary measure to get to my goal weight and I have made sure to incorporate regular exercise and up my protein intake. Any calorie controlled diet must involve a significant calorie deficit to the BMR or TDEE in order to be effective. My TDEE, if I work out, is between 1500-1700 calories per day, and in order for me to lose weight at a healthy rate of 1-2lbs per week, I have to have a 3500-7000 calorie deficit to the TDEE per week, which is more or less what I am doing.
  • TavistockToad
    Options

Indeed, hence this is only a temporary measure to get to my goal weight and I have made sure to incorporate regular exercise and up my protein intake. Any calorie controlled diet must involve a significant calorie deficit to the BMR or TDEE in order to be effective. My TDEE, if I work out, is between 1500-1700 calories per day, and in order for me to lose weight at a healthy rate of 1-2lbs per week, I have to have a 3500-7000 calorie deficit to the TDEE per week, which is more or less what I am doing.

You're 5ft5, 140odd pounds, and you work out 4-6 times a week for an hour and your TDEE is 1500-1700 cals? i dont believe that for a start, but you're going to do what you're going to do! good luck!?
  • snooze1980
    Options

You're 5ft5, 140odd pounds, and you work out 4-6 times a week for an hour and your TDEE is 1500-1700 cals? i dont believe that for a start, but you're going to do what you're going to do! good luck!?

Apologies - I meant 1700 without working out, not with. If I work out it's around 2200 per day, and if I want to lose 2 lbs a week I shouldn't eat more than 1200 calories per day.
  • TavistockToad
    Options

Apologies - I meant 1700 without working out, not with. If I work out it's around 2200 per day, and if I want to lose 2 lbs a week I shouldn't eat more than 1200 calories per day.

but with only around 15lb to lose you shouldnt be aiming for 2lb a week anyway! 0.5 to 1lb is the recommended rate to keep LBM.
  • snooze1980
    Options

but with only around 15lb to lose you shouldnt be aiming for 2lb a week anyway! 0.5 to 1lb is the recommended rate to keep LBM.

But the question is will it kill me / seriously damage my health if I lose at a rate of 2 lbs per week, restricting calorie intake for a total of just a couple of months? If not, then why 'shouldn't' I? And I thought 2lbs per week was the maximum amount recommended to avoid loss of lbm??
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    If you have less than 10lb to lose you should not aim above 1lb, and 1/2lb is more healthy. 2lb a week is for those with significant amounts to lose - 50-100lb plus.
  • 52fifi
    52fifi Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thank you all you have given me a lot of inspiration and lots to think about and try... many many thank lets see how it goes
    smile: