Broccoli, ugh

Goober1142
Goober1142 Posts: 219 Member
I know broccoli is super duper healthy but I really don't like it. What can I put on it to make it taste halfway decent? I'm good with spicy food but Tabasco on broccoli doesn't cut it!

Replies

• Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,294 Member
    I love broccoli, but lately we've been buying the frozen "steamers" comes with a few different sauces, we like the cheese sauce & Tuscan, didn't care much for the ranch. Only 5 min in microwave. I also sprinkle some Parmesan cheese on top
  • Moxie42
    Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
    I like adding it to stir-frys, or steaming it and topping it with fresh-grated parmesan cheese. You can also put it through a food processor and add it to eggs to beef up the eggs a bit without having to eat chunks of it. But if you really don't like broccoli, there's no reason to force it on yourself.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    You aren't required to eat broccoli :smile: Plenty of other ways to get those nutrients!

That said, I love it just about any way but raw. Roasted with olive oil, a little garlic, and Parmesan is tops.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    There's like a billion foods in the world. Don't eat the ones you don't like.

With that said - I agree with the others - roasted with garlic and a little lemon, maybe some Parmesan shredded on top = YUMMY!
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Broccoli salad is fantastic. My MIL adds crispy bacon, red onion, miracle whip and a few other ingredients to raw broccoli.
  • kxbrown27
    kxbrown27 Posts: 769 Member
    I found something called veggie tots. They look like tater tots but are made of broccoli. Delicious.
  • Derf_Smeggle
    Derf_Smeggle Posts: 611 Member
    Goober1142 wrote: »
    I know broccoli is super duper healthy but I really don't like it. What can I put on it to make it taste halfway decent? I'm good with spicy food but Tabasco on broccoli doesn't cut it!
    Why are you forcing yourself to eat one food that you really don't like?

What about eating some other dark green leafy veggies instead?
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Oh. I was going to say hot sauce. I don't know. I can just munch on any dang vegetable raw. I got goals and need to fill up my tummy.
  • leanitup123
    leanitup123 Posts: 489 Member
    STEAMED WITH NUTRITIONAL YEAST AND LIQUID AMINOS!!!
  • atjays
    atjays Posts: 798 Member
    Generally you don't need to eat things you really don't like. That's not going to help you stick with a diet plan.
  • dfwesq
    dfwesq Posts: 592 Member
    While I agree you don't have to eat foods you don't like, there's no harm in trying out new ways to prepare healthy foods. You do need to eat vegetables, so you might as well enjoy them. :)

One good way to prepare broccoli is to steam it lightly, then toss it with red wine vinaigrette. The vinaigrette can easily be made of red wine vinegar, olive oil, salt, pepper, and a little of your favorite sweetener. You can also add red bell peppers to the mix if you like.
  • Goober1142
    Goober1142 Posts: 219 Member
    I pretty much have to force myself to eat vegetables...the red wine vinegarette sounds like a winner! Thanks!
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    tjones0411 wrote: »
    We like it roasted. Toss it with a bit of olive oil, salt and pepper and roast it at 425 for 20 min or until the leaves start to get crispy. You can mix up the spices to suit your tastes, add some parm cheese, etc

This! Roasted vegetables make me so happy!!
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    I like broccoli any way. I really like broccoli salad, but it seems to be a potluck thing. Raw, roasted, steamed... it's all good.

What I can't get on board with is cauliflower. Yuck.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,956 Member
    I flippin' LOVE broccoli salad, but I can never, ever get it right on my own. I always stuff up the blanching. It's something I'm doomed to only enjoy when someone else makes it.
  • CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    I flippin' LOVE broccoli salad, but I can never, ever get it right on my own. I always stuff up the blanching. It's something I'm doomed to only enjoy when someone else makes it.

When I blanch broccoli or asparagus, once it reaches the correct tenderness, I place it directly into an ice water bath to stop the cooking process. It comes out great each time and perfect for broccoli salads, or marinating cold asparagus in Italian dressing overnight.