43 y/o dude In need of radical lifestyle change

Options
mr_bob_1974
mr_bob_1974 Posts: 14 Member
edited June 2017 in Introduce Yourself
Hello everyone,

First day on myfitnesspal, so thought I'd say hello... It hasn't been a great week for me. My 43r'd birthday is just a couple weeks away and last Friday the universe gifted me with my very first heart attack and 2 new stents. yay.

Needless to say I'M FREAKING TERRIFIED !!! :'( So here I am hoping against all hope I can make up for all the years I've abused my body so that this doesn't happen again. I've been overweight since my teens and have led a sedentary lifestyle working long hours at a desk for that past several years (software dude).

Currently clocking in at a shameful 305 lbs... For now I am setting a target of around 250 lbs. Not sure if that is over optimistic, but hopefully with exercise and diet I can get there. I am frightened enough at this point that I am going to give it all I got.

Good luck to everyone.

Replies

• PKM0515
    PKM0515 Posts: 2,937 Member
    Options
    You can do this! And don't be ashamed; you are definitely NOT alone. :)
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    On the plus side you survived it to be here. If that sounds flippant, it's not meant to be, MIs as such a young age have a bad reputation for a reason. Welcome to MFP! I recommend doing a lot of reading, and then ask questions. I would start here (there are a lot, so maybe start with the ones on getting set up and logging accurately):

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10300331/most-helpful-posts-getting-started-must-reads#latest

Additionally, there will be days when you are tired and want to give up, we all have them. Here's some motivating success stories to read on those days:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10394510/the-ultimate-success-stories-guide/p1
  • mr_bob_1974
    Options
    Thanks for the kind replies and links. Yes, lots of reading to do. I will give it my best shot!
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the kind replies and links. Yes, lots of reading to do. I will give it my best shot!

You can do it! If you have a bad day and slip, pick yourself back up and keep moving forward. Try to not be too hard on yourself, because as you keep focused you will make progress. It will be slower than you would like, but remain consistent and persistent. Remember that this next year is going to pass regardless. How you end the year is determined by the choices you make today, tomorrow, and each day after that.
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    You're still healing up from the stent placements, so be sure to ask your cardiologist what level of exercise you're cleared to do. Starting out with some short walks on level surfaces (no hills) might be a good way to ease into increased activity, but check with your doctor first. My (uneducated) guess would be starting with only five minutes or so and building up from there. Slow and steady and all that!
  • mr_bob_1974
    Options
    You're still healing up from the stent placements, so be sure to ask your cardiologist what level of exercise you're cleared to do. Starting out with some short walks on level surfaces (no hills) might be a good way to ease into increased activity, but check with your doctor first. My (uneducated) guess would be starting with only five minutes or so and building up from there. Slow and steady and all that!

Indeed! I am going to ease into it. I am actually pretty scared yet to do anything more than walking. Today was actually the first day that I took a short walk. I see my primary care doc tomorrow, and cardiologist a couple weeks later. I have so many questions for them.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    What kind of support do you need? Do you know how to eat to improve your health and lower your risk of a second heart attack? (aside from losing weight, which would be fabulous!!)

Good luck! Feel free to friend me!
  • rascallycat
    rascallycat Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Welcome. You can do this! Sending you a friend request.
  • mr_bob_1974
    edited June 2017
    Options
    What kind of support do you need? Do you know how to eat to improve your health and lower your risk of a second heart attack? (aside from losing weight, which would be fabulous!!)

I am so new to this, I am not even sure I know what support I need. I've pretty much ignored my body/health my entire life. And now with this rude awakening, I am feeling a bit overwhelmed with information. I guess my primary goal is to keep this from happening again, as I quite enjoy living :)

For now I think my focus is just on getting my footing in the world of health and fitness.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    Welcome and so happy you have this opportunity! :)

You sound intelligent and highly motivated. Learn, keep it simple, don't tackle too much all at once, and be consistent and you will change your life. You absolutely have it in you :)
  • MichelleWithMoxie
    MichelleWithMoxie Posts: 1,818 Member
    Options
    Welcome to mfp! There are a number of resources here, you've picked a great place to start! :smile:
  • kimothy38
    kimothy38 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    40s are a great time to reinvent yourself. It's never too late. Small and consistent changes are a good start, they add up to big long term changes. You are worth it. It'll be hard work but you'll get there. You've had a wake up call and are obviously motivated now. Best of luck.
  • mr_bob_1974
    Options
    Yes, I am totally motivated! Motivated by fear, but it's motivation nonetheless, so I'll take it. I guess when life gives you lemons, its time to make lemonade.
  • Kathryn247
    Kathryn247 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Welcome and great job getting here! I'm 44 and have a little experience at this now, feel free to add me as a friend and keep in touch!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

I am so new to this, I am not even sure I know what support I need. I've pretty much ignored my body/health my entire life. And now with this rude awakening, I am feeling a bit overwhelmed with information. I guess my primary goal is to keep this from happening again, as I quite enjoy living :)

For now I think my focus is just on getting my footing in the world of health and fitness.

Your motivation is key! I changed virtually everything about how I approached food in my 30s. Best thing I ever did. Start where it makes sense to you! Don't do too much physically in the beginning.
  • Capergirl11
    Capergirl11 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    one day at a time Bob good luck ☺
  • tahira81
    tahira81 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    You can do this!!! Have faith in yourself ❤️