Change of mindset

Hi all!! So I desperately need some ideas on how to change a mindset of mine. So basically if I am having a hard day or there's a bday party, cookout, dinner out etc etc.. how do I fix my brain to not use these as excuses to not count or if I do count to not say "screw it..I already went over my cals.. or there no way I can keep my cal goal..so might as well eat the chips, ice cream etc etc"

Anyone relate.. any suggestion. I do realize it sounds ridiculous but in the moment.. that's where I go!

Replies

• cheers2205
    cheers2205 Posts: 15 Member
    Not ridiculous at all!! I've definitely been there. I look at it in the grand scheme of things. I'm in it for the long haul and it helps me to remind myself of that. What's one bad day/week? I log it anyways, no matter how much I'm over. I didn't exercise for a week & it would have been so, so easy to just say "eff it, I'm never putting myself through that again". But I started again yesterday (my legs are screaming today), I'm sure my arms will be screaming tomorrow.

Most importantly, I forgive myself & am trying to be kinder to myself. I'm not perfect, I can't expect to be perfect all the time. I will screw up, I will overindulgence, I will got through phases when the thought of exercising makes me gag. But if I keep at it, in the grand scheme of things, the good days/weeks will outnumber the bad ones and that's what matters.
  • KeepRunningFatboy
    KeepRunningFatboy Posts: 3,055 Member
    It takes work. A mindset change was talked about in Romans 12:2; and 2 Corinthians 20:5. Take thoughts captive and renew your mind. You don't have to be a believer though to understand the principle that Paul is teaching. Your thoughts become your beliefs which become you behaviors. It's more complex, yet it is simple and lots has been written about it. Therapy is based on it, books written about it, and it is talked about at motivational events by the likes of the Tony Robbins. Change your brain, change your life. In essence, intercept your thoughts, analyze them for truth, challenge your thoughts. You can also use self talk to program in new thoughts and thruths. I actually hand write out thoughts and affirmation to reinforce them. I actively say out loud and write out health and fitness thoughts, truths, goals. I'm using my higher mind, the conscious mind, to reprogram subconscious thoughts. But it takes effort. Sometimes the urges of the flesh are really strong, and I find if I am tired or hungry, it's a more difficult battle between the mind and flesh. I could go on and on, hope you get my point.