Want to recomp but I'm hungry on rest days and not so much on exercise days.

Options
I'm trying to do a little recomp and have started lifting but I have a question about calories. I understand that I should eat a little higher on the days that I exercise and less on my "rest days" but my appetite is the opposite. I'm hungriest on my off days and when I exercise, perhaps because I'm more occupied, I'm not as hungry. Can I look at my calories as a total by week (letting the days average out) or do I really need the higher calories specifically on the days I exercise? I'd love if I could eat less on lifting days and more on off days :)

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    You could eat a flat rate every day or more on weekends or more on rest days, it doesn't really matter. Overall calorie balance week to week is what is important. If you happen to eat over maintenance on a rest day you'll store some as fat, but then if you eat under maintenance you'll use some of the fat. It's sort of a wash. Maintenance and recomp should be comfortable.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    You can flip it. Not a big deal. Or just eat the same every day.
  • WickAndArtoo
    WickAndArtoo Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    I am the same way! Happy you asked.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Remember that recomp is normal and doesn't need to be forced - the idea of calorie cycling is based on very shaky science.
    IMHO it's a needless complication.
    Eat at or around maintenance in a way that fits your preferences, schedule and supports your training is all that's really required.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Remember that recomp is normal and doesn't need to be forced - the idea of calorie cycling is based on very shaky science.
    IMHO it's a needless complication.
    Eat at or around maintenance in a way that fits your preferences, schedule and supports your training is all that's really required.

Whilst I agree the science is flakey and overall calorie balance controls progress, I personally feel/see benefits from calorie cycling. Just my opinion though.
  • bethany_rose8
    bethany_rose8 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Eat more on rest days and less on exercise days as that's what works for you. Whatever you're under on your exercise days, eat that back on your rest days
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    My highest calorie day tends to be a rest day and I'm recomping nicely - down 3.5% BF and up a lb of lean muscle mass in 4mths