Trying not to get discouraged....

Options
2»

Replies

• PlumDrop12
    Options
    I just read that one of the reasons for plateauing is dehydration. So up your water intake and keep eating decent. Good luck!
    Add me if u wud like so extra encouragement. :-)
  • lucystacy71
    lucystacy71 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I understand exactly how your are feeling. The scale hasn't moved for me awhile as well, and it's hard not to feel as if you failed to make any progress, but that's just not the truth. Sometimes the best measure of progress isn't the scale. I actually put my scale in a spare room just so I'm not tempted to continually weigh myself.

You're doing great so just keep it up!
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Your doing good I looked at your diary..your very good with logging I just think you probably need to watch your sodium and also cut back on the amount you treat yourself with sweets and processed foods...eating out at restaurants, chocolates, icecream and such..those things will hinder you....try treating yourself once a week as opposed to daily.
  • Sondicalondi
    Sondicalondi Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I forgot to mention, I treat myself everyday to a hersheys chocolate mini for 45 calories...so I eat the junk too..everyday, just a little bit.
  • ken_hogan
    ken_hogan Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses everyone!! Just wanted to say that on my 'official' weigh in day, this past Friday, I was 232.4. Now today, I'm at 229.4. I'm guessing water retention maybe?? But at least I saw some movement in the right direction!
  • Sondicalondi
    Sondicalondi Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Hey Ken, I noticed you don't track your sugar or fat intake. I think if you switched out a couple of categories and replaced them to track your fat and sugar you would see that the pizza and candy are pushing your totals way high for the day. (set a goal first, google what you should have) Sugar & fat can hinder your wt. loss. Eat a ton of veggies and some fruit maybe? I track my sugar since I am a sweetaholic. BUT, you eat whatever you need to to lose weight. If that's pizza keep at it, not judging you just trying to help. (hope i'm not being too bosey)
  • irivas1
    irivas1 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    All of the above, howeverrrrrr...I say we gang up and have a serious conversation with that @#%$ SCALE! :mad: INTERVENTION TIME!!! I have a fast moving vehicle and we can stuff ourselves in it and toss it out the window, while doing 120 MPH over a bridge!!!!! Then we all hang out with the guy with the beer and bar nuts! :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: ...(GRAND APPLAUSE! CROWDS CHEERING WITH ENTHUSIASM! :wink:

Okay, okay...obviously I have been having the same issue as you, however; I'm just a little more emotional in my response (I'm really quite normal...heh, heh). :laugh: Kidding aside, I was glad to see that you were able to see some movement on that @#%$ SCALE. Keep up the good work! :smile:
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Hey Ken, I noticed you don't track your sugar or fat intake. I think if you switched out a couple of categories and replaced them to track your fat and sugar you would see that the pizza and candy are pushing your totals way high for the day. (set a goal first, google what you should have) Sugar & fat can hinder your wt. loss. Eat a ton of veggies and some fruit maybe? I track my sugar since I am a sweetaholic. BUT, you eat whatever you need to to lose weight. If that's pizza keep at it, not judging you just trying to help. (hope i'm not being too bosey)

As long as he is keeping at his calorie goals, it isn't going to matter if his carbs or sugars are high (speaking losing wise).
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Water retention is definitely a major factor. As others have said - rely on measurements. Not drinking enough water or having too much sodium can make you retain a lot of water. Not to mention your muscles will also retain water after you workout.

The only other suggestion I would make is if you aren't using a food scale - get one asap.
  • nyrina4life
    nyrina4life Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Could you be sensitive to sodium??? I noticed you went over your sodium intake a few times, so this could have caused some water gain ? It could also be muscle, it's really hard for me to tell just from numbers alone. :smile:

You could try just reducing your sodium a little?? I imagine the scale will move in the right direction soon though. We all hit bumpy patches along the way. Keep your chin up, and keep working toward your goal! You've all ready done a fantastic job so far. :drinker:
  • ash190489
    ash190489 Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    I would seriously start thinking and looking into macronutrients. I can see from them at the bottom of the page in your diary your eating lots of carbohydrates and not a lot of protein.

Consider altering your diet to consuming more protein and less carbohyrates... I can't see a lot of complex carbs in there, lots of simple carbs and sugars and salts.

Add more vegetables and fruits, add more lean meats, ditch the bad fats (trans and saturated fats) and do some kind of exercise each day and you'll see faster and healthier results.
  • nyrina4life
    nyrina4life Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Not to mention your muscles will also retain water after you workout.

^^^ This ^^^
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    How long since you started lifting? Are you using a food scale?
  • kirstyfairhead
    kirstyfairhead Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Are you quite new to lifting?? I evened out for a few weeks when I first started lifting but then the scales started going down again.

At the end of the day, as long as you maintain a reasonable deficit and keep at it, the weight will come off. You're doing great so far, well done!!
  • mebepiglet123
    mebepiglet123 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Wow lots of good advice above me...what they all said.

But..... Well done and. Keep it up, try to to get discouraged.
  • choijanro
    choijanro Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    don't be discourage brother,, just do cardio,lifting & diet,,, no liquor,, no drugs,,no smoking cigarette,, and burn more calories than you consume,, and weight yourself once a month,,
  • ken_hogan
    ken_hogan Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the support everyone!