Easy Whey Protein Brownie Recipes that are chewy and fudgey?

Options
Geocitiesuser
Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
edited June 2017 in Recipes
I have two obsessions lately. Brownies, and birthday cake batter. I want to make birthday cake flavored blondies.

There are two recipes I'm looking at, and I'd love to know if anyone has similar ones they can attest for.

This is the recipe I want to try most, I will use birthday cake flavored ON whey instead of vanilla

http://acedmagazine.com/protein-birthday-cake-blondie-recipe/

This second recipe looks promising too, I will swap out normal peanut butter for buff bake brand birthday cake flavored almond butter (OH LORD SOO GOOD) and swap out cocoa powder for oh my spice brand birthday cake protein flavoring, and of course, use the bday cake flavored whey

http://runeatrepeat.com/2013/04/04/protein-brownies-recipe/

Thoughts, other recipes?

Calories are an issue. I want to bake and eat things but I need to save calories for "real" food too! So I can't really make five batches of brownies in a weekend or I'll hate myself come monday lol. I still need to put these both in the recipe calculator. Which do you think will end up being fudgier and more "brownie" like? I feel like the honey might go a long way for texture?

Replies

• Geocitiesuser
    Options
    Sorry to bump my own thread. Both are between 1000 and 1500 cals for a whole tray. I'm gonna make a tray of each this weekend and give feed back here. But I'm still open to other recipes.
  • HostageCat
    HostageCat Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Both look really good, I would love to know how they turn out, I've been wanting to try to make protein brownies but haven't gotten around to finding a recipe.
  • Geocitiesuser
    Options
    I made the second recipe (with almond butter). I made two batches thinking I could share them with coworkers.

I must have put too much baking powder because they rose like cakes and aren't worth sharing. I will have to choke them down by myself over the course of the weekend, if I don't toss them entirely. Pretty big waste of expensive almond butter. Probably won't try it again as the flavor is pretty lacking. If I do try them again I will put very very little baking powder.
  • Geocitiesuser
    Options
    It's only saturday at 9:20 am and I've already made my third batch. This time the first recipe (with coconut flour).

The texture is "okay" but once again the flavor is pretty meh, very drab. Almost not worth eating again. Tastes more like crappy bread that didn't rise than it does a blondie.

I threw out the other ones as well because they were so lousy. These are another candidate for the trash. At least these weren't as expensive to make.

So here's my conclusion:

If I want a protein brownie I can get something from lenny and larry's or something. OR I can just go buy a real brownie and have a protein shake with it. So far all the recipes I've tried for protein brownies/blondies have been pretty mediocre.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    It's only saturday at 9:20 am and I've already made my third batch. This time the first recipe (with coconut flour).

The texture is "okay" but once again the flavor is pretty meh, very drab. Almost not worth eating again. Tastes more like crappy bread that didn't rise than it does a blondie.

I threw out the other ones as well because they were so lousy. These are another candidate for the trash. At least these weren't as expensive to make.

So here's my conclusion:

If I want a protein brownie I can get something from lenny and larry's or something. OR I can just go buy a real brownie and have a protein shake with it. So far all the recipes I've tried for protein brownies/blondies have been pretty mediocre.

I convinced myself for a couple of years that my "healthy" baking was just as delicious and satisfying as the real thing. Blah. So not - that rubbish is sad.
  • Geocitiesuser
    Options
    Yeah, I think I'm taking a break from any sort of recipe that uses whey like flour. It's just.... not good. It really robs the joy out of baked goods to the point that they're not worth eating. I'd rather eat a smaller portion of a better tasting baked good than have to suffer through a mediocre one that has 10 more grams of protein. There's a few exceptions of course, the cheese cake recipe on this board is pretty good. But I've given up on the ideas of protein brownies and protein cakes. Not worth it.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    This works.

http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2012/09/06/no-flour-black-bean-brownies/

No protein powder but very decent decadent taste. Don't skip the chocolate chips.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I'm perfecting a puffed wheat square with added protein powder.

https://betchacanteatjustone.wordpress.com/2010/11/04/chocolate-puffed-wheat-squares/amp/

I add an extra quarter cup syrup and reduce puffed wheat by a cup. I add one full scoop of protein powder and some sunflower seeds.
  • Geocitiesuser
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    This works.

http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2012/09/06/no-flour-black-bean-brownies/

No protein powder but very decent decadent taste. Don't skip the chocolate chips.

I've made those too lol. I've been obsessed with brownies for a long time now. Have you tried a lenny and larry's muscle brownie? Or a steve irvine fit crunch brownie? It will be pretty hard to top those.

Here's my old thread where I experimented with different bases.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10542624/i-am-going-to-experiment-with-making-sweet-potato-brownies-tonight-looking-for-culinary-feedback#latest