Not enough support from loved ones?

Options
2»

Replies

• skinneeme007
    skinneeme007 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    @kcspm I have indeed felt the same feelings of not having the support I felt I should have from my husband, and I talked to him about it at length. I discovered he wasn't the problem, but that it was a self-confidence issue. I realized I was being overly sensitive. It is a very emotional journey, but at the end of the day, the only pat on the back that truly matters is your own. Be proud of yourself for leaving your old habits behind and becoming the healthiest version of yourself that you can be, and be confident knowing that when you leave for the gym, etc, you're doing it because you owe it to yourself!
  • kcspm
    kcspm Posts: 43 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Thank you @skineeme007!!!! :)
  • mca90guitar
    mca90guitar Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Have to tell you, I don't give a crap if others are supportive or not. I'm not doing it for them and I'm not looking for a pat on the back for doing what I should be doing. Just my thoughts . make my food, do my workouts and get my own results.
  • shakenbake57
    shakenbake57 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Agree with others about finding support where you can. MFP community is wonderful! I'm sure your spouse and others near and dear do care about you and want you to succeed. It may be they're going through their own internal dialogue wondering how your weight loss will affect them.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    It's your body. Your "journey" (I hate that word).
  • pamfgil
    pamfgil Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    If it's your husband , you could try saying "ouch that hurt" at the time, when you feel hurt by something he says. If you don't show it hurts you can't expect him to realise. And talking about it later is probably too late
  • Rognvaldr
    Rognvaldr Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    pamfgil wrote: »
    If it's your husband , you could try saying "ouch that hurt" at the time, when you feel hurt by something he says. If you don't show it hurts you can't expect him to realise. And talking about it later is probably too late

pamfgil is right, we (men) have short attention spans. We're like puppies that way. You have to let us know at the time it occurs. Much of the time we may not realize that we hurt you. :p

Seriously though, have a conversation. Let those close to you know what your goals are and the type of support you need. If nothing else, you'll understand the level of support (or not) you will be getting.

...and those of us in this community (yes, I know I'm new to MFP). We are all going through what you are and can understand your challenges and provide moral support, advise, etc.

Hope this helps. :)
  • sporangia
    sporangia Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    You deserve to put yourself first. Don't wait for them to tell you it's okay to put your needs first. Take care of yourself and your body because preventative healthcare is the best gift we give our families. Once you truly believe that you deserve this, what they say won't matter.