Upping Protein without meat overload

Options
MrBecky
MrBecky Posts: 55 Member
Right. I am a bit of a state. I'm 5' 8" tall and currently have a 41 chest, 41 belly and 40 hips. I've read things about this being indicative of a 'carb sensitive body' whatever that means?!
I've been eating really healthily and averaging around 1500 calories a day for 3 weeks now - but I don't like to eat too much meat.
So... protein shakes, right? But then I've heard various different things about those - and I'm not sure whether it's a good idea to be relying on a milkshake for my nutritional needs.
Also, bear in mind that I want to be eating healthily FOR LIFE not just doing some crazy 'eat a load of turkey and eggs for every meal' thing that isn't sustainable. I need to eat mostly the same meals as my husband and I don't want to cut out carbs as I think they are a healthy part of our diet. I love eating lots of fruit and veg. We like to cook from scratch.
I don't really know what to do!

Replies

• Alderaic
    Alderaic Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    having carbs loaded with more protein, i.e instead of pasta, quinoa or brown rice,
    beans have proteins too.
    lots of source, greek yogurt, cottage cheese etc... ;)
  • mperrott2205
    mperrott2205 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    'carb sensitive body' ? Sounds like a load of rubbish if you ask me.

No - You shouldn't rely on Protein Shakes to give you all your nutritional needs. It's a supplement. It's suppose to aid you whilst you have a good diet.

http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/ - Just do this.
  • LaserMum
    LaserMum Posts: 133
    Options
    having carbs loaded with more protein, i.e instead of pasta, quinoa or brown rice,
    beans have proteins too.
    lots of source, greek yogurt, cottage cheese etc... ;)

^^^this

Also, try breads with nuts/seeds. They have higher protein and often lower carbs too and are delicious and fill you up.

I eat a greek yoghurt for breakfast that has 18g of protein in 170g portion (Fage 0% fat). Nuts are also fantastic source of protein but they also have a lot of fat and calories.

I try to eat natural proteins but some days I'm still light and will then sneak one of my DDs protein shakes just to supplement, but not every day.

Just go for whatever fits your macros.
  • DocMarr
    DocMarr Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Not heard of 'carb sensitive body' as a term, but with stats like that you could certainly be described as 'apple-shaped'. Fat that you carry round your middle is more metabolically active than fat elsewhere and is one to try and get rid of.

I would recommend a very good book called 'Fat around the Middle' by a leading UK women's nutritionist. It really explains very clearly why you get fat deposits there and how to address them.

http://www.marilynglenville.com/womens-health-issues/fat-around-the-middle/
  • Tessyloowhoo
    Tessyloowhoo Posts: 504
    Options
    I swapped quest bars in for my normal granola bars... I AM ADDICTED! They taste better than regular bars and are 2g net carbs and 20g of protein at 160-170 calories a bar depending on the flavor. For me these are truly incredible! I find adding protein to my snacks is easier than adding it to my meals. You can buy them online or at GNC
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of fish, chicken, greek yogurt, and I rely on Protein shakes when I just don't feel like eating in the evenings sometimes.

I eat protein bars when I am traveling and get stuck in airports. I eat turkey jerky or beef jerky .

I do like eggs and those "better than eggs" egg whites in a carton. I eat fat free cream cheese.

I love lemon grass soup with no noodles or rice, and ask for double chicken or shrimp . I order riceless sushi.

Several restaurants in Houston have replaced bread or sandwich wraps with large kale leafs and they are pretty tasty!
  • LaserMum
    LaserMum Posts: 133
    Options
    'carb sensitive body' ? Sounds like a load of rubbish if you ask me.

No - You shouldn't rely on Protein Shakes to give you all your nutritional needs. It's a supplement. It's suppose to aid you whilst you have a good diet.

http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/ - Just do this.

Having a 'carb sensitive body' is not rubbish but I've never heard it expressed like this before. I react badly to too many carbs in my diet - especially from refined flours, although potatoes and some fruits also send my blood sugars soaring!. Also, the OP may find that she may be sensitive to wheat or gluten. It could be worth investigating.

I agree with not relying on protein shakes but they're OK as an occasional supplement.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Honestly, having had a quick look at your diary I'd say it's pretty good!

You could go through it yourselef and pick out any major carb-offenders such as smoothies and honey, and see how you might reduce those. But on the whole, I think your protein intake looks fine.

Greek yoghurt is a useful addition - also cottage cheese. But watch out for the increased carbs in the flavoured versions.
  • MrBecky
    Options
    I also don't buy that you can be particularly 'sensitive' to carbs!

I love greek yoghurt and cottage cheese! And both of those also come in low fat varieties so everyone's a winner :-)
    I eat beans/pulses too a fair bit.

The macro calculator thing is saying I should eat 45.3 carbs 198 protein 89.1 fat 40 - 50 fibre.
    That seems pretty low carb to me!!
  • Teele86
    Teele86 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    There are some great greek yoghurts that are high in protein I have started getting chobani, no fat low carb and super high in protein. Ive also been having a lot of cottage and ricotta cheeses and eggs to up my protein. I have the same calorie aim as you but 40% carbs and 30% protein and 30% fat. You could have some cottage cheese and honey instead of yoghurt with your morning fruit, and maybe a snack with nuts in.
  • MrBecky
    Options
    There are some great greek yoghurts that are high in protein I have started getting chobani, no fat low carb and super high in protein. Ive also been having a lot of cottage and ricotta cheeses and eggs to up my protein. I have the same calorie aim as you but 40% carbs and 30% protein and 30% fat. You could have some cottage cheese and honey instead of yoghurt with your morning fruit, and maybe a snack with nuts in.

never tried cottage cheese and honey but that sounds great. Yep - need to buy some nuts as well when I get my next food shop :-)
  • Christina8585
    Christina8585 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    If your looking to get more protein I would definitely agree and high 5 that quinoa. I'f your trying to cut down or out meat, try Gardein meat products. Frozen soy and veggie patties , not meat but good source of protein. There's different ones. You can find them at almost any major grocery store. I've been using them instead of meat, still eating fish and dairy, and found that it's helped a lot. I find that it saves on my food bill too. Just eat plenty of spinach salads and organic lentil soups with orange juice to get your iron.
    Nuts are good too, but they are high calorie. Just a small handful adds up instantly to over a hundred calories, so I'm careful with how much I use. I tend to use raw unsalted nuts in place of croutons on my spinach salad. Keep up the good work.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    Just reduce your calories. If your protein is low, greek yogurt is decent and there's nothing wrong with protein powder with milk and fruit added........a milkshake can be a treat for the rest of your life, no?:smile:
  • russellbrand69
    russellbrand69 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I've started adding organic soya beans to my lunch salad. 125g cooked is loads, tasty and really filling - 190 calories and 17.5g protein.They taste like edamame, pretty much, but they aren't the same green colour, but a delicate, pale green.

I got the 500g packet of dried soya beans, soaked them overnight, then simmered them in water till they were cooked, but with a teeny bit of bite - it took about 2 1/2 hours I think.
    That was a load of hassle BUT, when they were cooked, drained and cold, I weighed them out into individual 125g bags and froze them - I think it made about 10 bags! Now I take a bag with me to work, and microwave them and add to my salad.
  • MrBecky
    Options
    I got the 500g packet of dried soya beans, soaked them overnight, then simmered them in water till they were cooked, but with a teeny bit of bite - it took about 2 1/2 hours I think.
    That was a load of hassle BUT, when they were cooked, drained and cold, I weighed them out into individual 125g bags and froze them - I think it made about 10 bags! Now I take a bag with me to work, and microwave them and add to my salad.
    Nice tip, thanks!