Recipe Calculator -

mapia79
mapia79 Posts: 7 Member
Hello - I am using the recipe calculator. It's a bit glitchy, but overall it does what I need it to do. However, it only gives me the option of number of servings. So, what I have decided to do, for instance, is weigh the soup or cake or whatever when it's done cooking, and then portion out from there. (ie: my cold oats batch was 820g, so I said it made 4 servings which I mentally remember will be for 205g each).
My question is - is "number of servings" the only option for tracking? I have seen other "homemade" unverified foods when searching, but they have the option of grams, cups, etc. Is this something that is available for premium memberships? I can get by as-is, but I would love to be able to put my recipes into grams rather than generic "servings" which leaves me having to remember weights for all my recipes.
I have tried to find answers elsewhere but without success.
Thanks in advance for the help!

Replies

• hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,966 Member
    edited June 2017
    Well what I do is put however many grams the thing weighs as the number of servings. If you are consistent with doing them that way, you won't have to worry about remembering how much a serving is.

As far as changing the name of them so it says "grams" for example instead of "servings" I do not know. I just know that one serving = one gram
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    I just use grams - I have some recipes that have 4000 servings
  • Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    You can always calculate the totals, then make an entry under "my foods"
  • CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    I do not like using the total weight as number of servings, because that results in the Calories and nutrition information per serving displaying as zeros (although the underlying values are still calculated in decimals).

I would suggest putting the final serving size and per serving Calorie information in the name of the Recipe (you can always edit the name) so that you can easily see that information when you look at your Recipe list, or when you log it in your Food Diary.

I use the following format for naming a recipe. Yeah, it may be a little overkill, but I can see all of the information at a glance.

Recipe - [Keywords] [Date] [Total_Weight] [Number_of_Servings] [Weight_per_Serving] [Calories_per_Serving]

Example:

Recipe - Jambalaya, Chicken Chorizo Mussels 2015.10.03 4140g 18Srv 230g 169Cals
  • laurenebargar
    laurenebargar Posts: 3,081 Member
    This probably isnt the most popular way (or right way) to do it, but for lunches, I make sure I am 100% on with my logging when calculating a recipe, I dont bother weighing it, I just portion it out into containers, for example I made a turkey dish Monday, It fit into five containers, so thats 5 servings, in the end I am the only one eating it, so if one is less full then another, I still wind up eating the calories that week.
  • mapia79
    mapia79 Posts: 7 Member
    Thanks so much, everyone!