Realistic goals...

Options
I went to a primary doctor about three months ago. I was told (in two separate appointments) that I had to lose weight. The second time I saw him, he said that he wanted me to lose five pounds a week. I thought that was a tad bit impossible, but he saw it as realistic.

Knowing that wasn't going to work, I talked to a nurse at a completely different office about it. We came up with a plan of two a week, which I had brought up. The nurse at the office agreed that five was a little too much for someone like myself.

Two is fine by me, but it's not always going to be everyone's goal. What's your realistic goal per week?

Replies

• deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    5lbs a week? is he smoking crack! depending on the amount of weight you have to lose

2lbs - if you have 100+lbs to lose

did he provide you a referral to an RD? if he is saying that you need to lose weight then that should be a requirement
  • Poisonedpawn78
    Poisonedpawn78 Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    1-2 lbs a week is very good and in most cases aggressive. The nurse is right on this one. It is also a more sustainable loss because it is teaching you the proper methods for eating AFTER you reach your goals.

Dont wait any longer, you can make the changes! just take it one step at a time, make small changes and then add more as you get comfortable with them.

But most of all find within yourself the determination to stick with it.
  • shrcpr
    shrcpr Posts: 885 Member
    Options
    My realistic goal is down to 0.5 per week since I'm close to goal and a measly 250-calorie deficit is 1,260 net calories. I'm active, though, so rarely have to go below eating 1,400-1,500.

My best advice is to read the stickies at the top of the weight loss forum - they're super helpful. <3
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    I lose at 0.5 to 0.25lbs per week.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    I would ask him to give a clear example of how one is expected to lose 5 pounds a week. The unfortunate truth: most doctors have little more than a few hours of 'training' on nutrition and weight loss. And that could have been decades ago.

Depending on how much you weigh now, 1-2 pounds is a realistic goal. The most you should aim for is 1% of your bodyweight, so if you are over 200 pounds you may be able to safely aim for a little higher.
  • ruthhowellwriter
    ruthhowellwriter Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    5 lbs. a week sounds impossible for most people. And if you were to lose that amount of weight so quickly, you would probably just gain it right back. Most fitness plans suggest losing 2 lbs. a week, which is what I'm striving for and so far am very comfortable with the 1200 cal per day I have.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    I do know of someone who weighs 440 pounds and is starting now to try to lose weight. HIs BMR is 3500, and with low activity and several short intentional daily walks his TDEE is about 4750. He could potentially lose 5 per week, eating about 2250, but it would be short lived. TDEE drops with weight loss.
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    I'm currently losing at 0.5 pounds/week.

I did 2 pounds/week (accidentally) when I was heavier, but that was too fast for me. I dropped it to 1 pound/week and just kept my calorie target the same as I got smaller (which is why I'm now down to 0.5 pounds/week - though that's going up a little as I'm more active in the summer months).
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I can't lose more than .5 lbs per week. More like .25 cause I'm a horrible logger these days. Even when I drop my calories low, weight loss just creeps along.

When I was 30 lbs over weight I started with 2 lbs per week, then 1, then .5
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    gebeziseva wrote: »
    I lose at 0.5 to 0.25lbs per week.

That's where I am now too
  • MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Options
    I picked one pound a week since that seemed doable for me, and figured I'd just see how it goes. When my doc told me I had high blood sugar and that I needed to do something about it, he referred me to a dietician though. That might be something to ask your doctor about, because 5 pounds a week does sound a little nuts.
  • Sheisinlove109
    Sheisinlove109 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    3500x7! That would be the deficit you need.

5 a week is too high. I do have weeks where I lose 2-4 lbs but I am working my tail off and eating pretty well. There are weeks where I lose nothing as well.

1-2lbs is great and a true achievement.
  • janae7613
    janae7613 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    When I went to the bariatric center and I needed to lose weight before surgery they told me to aim for 45 of carbs a day. In the first month I lost about 5 lbs a week and then it slowed down. I opted out of the surgery. Now when I want to lose I eat my alloted calories from MFP and keep it under 45g of carbs.