Do supplements work? Link

Options
halleymw
halleymw Posts: 246 Member
I still get Mehdi's newsletter after trying his stronglifts program, and occassionally he has some good stuff in there. He sent a link to an article about supplements, very interesting read. Basically nixes most of them except creatine. I am thinking of finally trying the creatine after this article. Anyone else use it with good results? I have been stalled at my lifts for a while, just switched over to maintenence so hopefully I can start making progress again.

http://stronglifts.com/12-strength-training-supplements-dissected/

Mike

Replies

• ChrisLindsay9
    ChrisLindsay9 Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    I also use Creatine with my workouts. The key thing to keep in mind is that it has to be dissolved for it to have full efficacy. Once I started doing this, then I noticed an increase in reps.

There's a fitness/nutrition guy named Will Brinks who has posted several videos on youtube about creatine. It's pretty good advice about the types of creatine, how to consume it, as well as general debunking of various myths.

Regarding the link, the information seems pretty solid. I don't really consider protein powder a supplement, but rather, powdered food. The only thing I would add is that BCAAs seem to be somewhat important for intermittent fasting advocates. I'm not sure how robust the science is, but for those who do train after 8-12 hours of fasting, they seem to consume BCAAs during their workout as a way to preserve muscle loss. Maybe someone can correct/clarify if I'm mistaken here.