Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Losing weight and Triglycerides Going UP...

Options
cwolfman13
cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
edited June 2017 in Debate Club
So I went in for my semi annual blood work last week and my triglycerides came in around 230. Six months ago when I did my blood work, everything was groovy. Six months ago, I was stabilized as my weight goes, but I've been cutting the winter fluff now for a couple of months.

I'm going to do a bit of research, but I'm wondering if losing weight temporarily increases triglycerides...it is my understanding that subcutaneous fat cannot be oxidized for energy but rather must be converted to triglycerides to be used for energy...so when you're burning fat it would seem logical to me that triglycerides would increase...that's my hypothesis anyway.

Just curious if anyone else has come across this before...my doctor wasn't too terribly concerned about it because I get checked regularly and I've maintained my weight loss for over four years and everything has for the most part checked out very good to optimal over that time, but he wants to keep a further watch on it...

Replies

• cwolfman13
    Options
    bump
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    I agree that there's no concern. Lipid readings are so variable dependent it could be any number of things - it's the evaluation of the entire lipid panel over time that matters.

Your hypothesis is correct. Did you have an intense workout in the 48 hrs prior to this blood draw?

From personal experience my triglycerides used to spike above 300 after intense workouts and that was me at my fittest/leanest and 26 years old.
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I don't have any theories or explanations, but if another data point helps:

I'm 30 lbs down since October, 60 lbs down since starting to lose 3 years ago. Still have 20 lbs to go. 46 yo. Got my lipid panel back today. Triglycerides = 92. I don't have a previous number to compare it to, but do recall a cholesterol result 10 years ago that was on the cusp of not good. Today, it was all solidly OK.
  • cwolfman13
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    I agree that there's no concern. Lipid readings are so variable dependent it could be any number of things - it's the evaluation of the entire lipid panel over time that matters.

Your hypothesis is correct. Did you have an intense workout in the 48 hrs prior to this blood draw?

From personal experience my triglycerides used to spike above 300 after intense workouts and that was me at my fittest/leanest and 26 years old.

Hmmm...interesting

I went in on a Wednesday and I did my sprint intervals on the bike trainer on Tuesday...
  • cwolfman13
    Options
    TmacMMM wrote: »
    I don't have any theories or explanations, but if another data point helps:

I'm 30 lbs down since October, 60 lbs down since starting to lose 3 years ago. Still have 20 lbs to go. 46 yo. Got my lipid panel back today. Triglycerides = 92. I don't have a previous number to compare it to, but do recall a cholesterol result 10 years ago that was on the cusp of not good. Today, it was all solidly OK.

Hmmm...so that wouldn't jive with my theory then.

I've been getting work done every six months for the past 4.5-5 years and I've grown so accustomed to my numbers being solid...this just through me for a bit of a loop. I suppose it could just be a one off too...or like @CSARdiver said, an intense workout.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    CSARdiver wrote: »

Hmmm...interesting

I went in on a Wednesday and I did my sprint intervals on the bike trainer on Tuesday...

Ding ding ding!
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I intentionally did not work out the 24 hours before the appointment because I know it lowers my blood pressure, and I wanted a baseline reading. So the intense workout hypothesis would suit.

Hope that's the answer. It's scary to see a big change like that.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    Too many carbs. Nor enough fat.
    I cut carbs, increased fat, my triglycerides went from >300 to <45.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    It can be genetic. What about your family? The biggest deal is the co-factors: high blood sugar/insulin resistance, high blood pressure, low HDL, high LDL. What was your overall cholesterol?

There are some meds that can raise it, but most of those are taken by women. Sorry to assume, but you're not on birth control pills/shots, right? Steroids can do. Have you have any for a recent illness or injury? Hypothyroidism can do it. When my hypo was uncontrolled my cholesterol/triglycerides shot up through the roof. But more women than men are affected by hypo.

Schedule a retest for a couple months. Don't work out the day before of the day of before the test. See if there is anything to the exercise. If your doc wasn't stressed, try and not stress yourself.

Exercise has never affected mine. But mine is very low. My doc always says she wants to trade levels with me. Hers is genetically high and she's on meds in spite of being very fit.
  • cwolfman13
    Options
    Not too stressed about it really, I just thought it was kind of interesting because since I lost the bulk of my weight all of my bad blood work reversed and it's been steady for over 4 years...cholesterol and everything else is optimal/normal
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    POSSIBLE that testosterone is lower which CAN possibly affect having a lower metabolic rate if you've been dieting awhile.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    fishgutzy wrote: »

Did you lose weight? Because I got to a normal weight, my blood tests are normal now and I did it by being in a caloric deficit with balanced macros. Macros are a personal thing.
  • Tried30UserNames
    Tried30UserNames Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    It was explained to me years ago at a weight loss spa that triglycerides are a type of fat circulating in the blood. When you lose fat, it is released into the bloodstream and so triglycerides and cholesterol will often be higher temporarily when one is actively burning fat. You can't really get an accurate cholesterol and triglyceride reading until your weight has been stable for several weeks.

I'm not a doctor or scientist, but that explanation has always made sense to me.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Yes. Ditto the others. Triglycerides tend to go up when losing but it stablizes within 6 months of a steady weight. Many doctors won't even bother testing triglycerides and cholesterol when they know their patient is losing. Well, some doctors.

...Or too many carbs and not enough fat. ;)
  • MagialunaCamminare
    MagialunaCamminare Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Ninerbuff,
    I used to be a Hospital Corpsman in the Navy. I got the opportunity to work w/many Drs & RNs from all over. We had a Nurse Practitioner who did Women's Health Care come to do her Naval Reserve time at our clinic. (Often Reserve Practitioner were even more skilled than ours, as they had their Civilian *&* Military training.) She had just gone to a big Endocrinology Conference about Metabolic Syndrome. I'd never heard of it.
    If you've had difficulty losing weight (esp. refining around your waist,) have high Triglycerides, elevated blood pressure, elevated blood sugar (glucose,) and/or low HDL cholesterol - you may have Metabolic Syndrome. To read more about it click here: www.webmd.com/heart/metabolic-syndrome/tc/metabolic-syndrome-topic-overview
    This Practitioner treated all of the women who had been long term physical fitness program failures. (She wasn't permitted to see men because of her credentials-"women's health".)
    All of those she diagnosed as positive for metabolic syndrome & treated, saw the negative symptoms decrease. (Started to lose weight, blood sugars decreased, Trig decreased, etc.)
    I am not a doctor, but I do recommend at least looking into it. It's also sometimes called "Syndrome X" or "Insulin Resistance.'.
  • nevadavis1
    nevadavis1 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Mine tend to be all over the place actually. Weight loss can affect it. What you ate the day before can affect it. Recent exercise can too. If everything else looks good you might just wait until your next blood work and see where they are then. I tend to regard it more as a trend over time rather than a reason to hit the panic button. If they keep trending up, then I'd be more concerned.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    fishgutzy wrote: »

I would say yes but not in the OP's case...
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    Ninerbuff,
    I used to be a Hospital Corpsman in the Navy. I got the opportunity to work w/many Drs & RNs from all over. We had a Nurse Practitioner who did Women's Health Care come to do her Naval Reserve time at our clinic. (Often Reserve Practitioner were even more skilled than ours, as they had their Civilian *&* Military training.) She had just gone to a big Endocrinology Conference about Metabolic Syndrome. I'd never heard of it.
    If you've had difficulty losing weight (esp. refining around your waist,) have high Triglycerides, elevated blood pressure, elevated blood sugar (glucose,) and/or low HDL cholesterol - you may have Metabolic Syndrome. To read more about it click here: www.webmd.com/heart/metabolic-syndrome/tc/metabolic-syndrome-topic-overview
    This Practitioner treated all of the women who had been long term physical fitness program failures. (She wasn't permitted to see men because of her credentials-"women's health".)
    All of those she diagnosed as positive for metabolic syndrome & treated, saw the negative symptoms decrease. (Started to lose weight, blood sugars decreased, Trig decreased, etc.)
    I am not a doctor, but I do recommend at least looking into it. It's also sometimes called "Syndrome X" or "Insulin Resistance.'.
    I know what Metabolic syndrome is. Don't know why you think I have it. I didn't ask the question.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png