New Here Need Help!

Options
I have chronic digestive issues that I'm working on. Leaky gut/Candida/dysbiosis. Anyways I want to gain weight. I am too skinny and want more curves/muscle. I'm 5'0" and 96 pounds. Ideally I want to be 115-120 like I was In middle and high school. I have a hard time gaining. I don't have a gallbladder either. I need tips

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    bellaambru wrote: »
    I have chronic digestive issues that I'm working on. Leaky gut/Candida/dysbiosis. Anyways I want to gain weight. I am too skinny and want more curves/muscle. I'm 5'0" and 96 pounds. Ideally I want to be 115-120 like I was In middle and high school. I have a hard time gaining. I don't have a gallbladder either. I need tips

Have you been medically diagnosed with these issues? If so, you would be on antibiotics (although leaky gut is not a thing). Ultimately, you just have to eat more calories than you burn. The below thread should be able to help that. Also, you should follow a structured lifting routine if you want to gain muscle. Since you don't have a gallbladder, you can eat lower fat foods. So more carbs.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10326769/are-you-a-hard-gainer-please-read/p1
  • NEHusker385
    NEHusker385 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have "leaky gut" it absolutely is a thing and more doctors are presenting information to support that. I am 5'4 108lbs living on an extremely clean diet plan with an occasional pizza and maintain my weight from clean eating and no exercise. I wish I had more information on how to gain weight for you but thought I'd give a friendly shout out from a fellow leaky gut fighter! Good luck!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I have "leaky gut" it absolutely is a thing and more doctors are presenting information to support that. I am 5'4 108lbs living on an extremely clean diet plan with an occasional pizza and maintain my weight from clean eating and no exercise. I wish I had more information on how to gain weight for you but thought I'd give a friendly shout out from a fellow leaky gut fighter! Good luck!

Do you have proof that leaky gut is an actual thing? I have yet to see anything to confirm that. And that includes conversations with my wife's GI doctors and my doctor friends. I have seen people experience malabsorption issues, especially after antibiotics, but, not "leaky gut"

And part of the reason you aren't gaining is because you are probably putting a lot of restrictions on your diet to eat clean. How may calories are you even eating? Do you drink any calories? Do you have food restrictions? Are you on antibiotics?
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »

Do you have proof that leaky gut is an actual thing? I have yet to see anything to confirm that. And that includes conversations with my wife's GI doctors and my doctor friends. I have seen people experience malabsorption issues, especially after antibiotics, but, not "leaky gut"

And part of the reason you aren't gaining is because you are probably putting a lot of restrictions on your diet to eat clean. How may calories are you even eating? Do you drink any calories? Do you have food restrictions? Are you on antibiotics?

agreed, there's no medical diagnosis for leaky gut. But there are people who have issues with intestinal permeability as a result of chrons, ibs, food intolerances like celiacs, etc. In these cases it's important to seek a doctor who can help determine the underlying cause.

I believe it's also possible that some people lack the right bacteria in their gut so it's important to eat plenty of prebiotics (fiber), probiotics (good bacteria), and fermented/live foods (like kimchi, sourkraut, kefir, etc.).

In any case OP, the link that @psuLemon gave includes a lot of information on gaining weight. It's important as they stated to avoid high fat foods since you don't have a gallbladder.