How badly do you allow confirmation bias to shape your world view?

Options
_John_
_John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
?

Replies

• Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options

Conformation Bias? I don't at all.

I develop all of my own thoughts and beliefs strictly on their own merits.

.... unless Rush Limbaugh tells me to think differently.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    200.gif
  • FireTurtle75
    FireTurtle75 Posts: 2,014 Member
    Options
    It's my life's goal to have other people dictate my every thought. I once decided to give up my turtley ways, abandon my shell & join a colony of lemmings... They seems to be able to tell me what to think & what to do. After I concluded it was the right idea I headed off toward Lemming Gulch where they all lived. I'm pretty slow, so when I got there I was them all running toward the crevasse. I thought I heard some distance screams, but they were so far away that I couldn't tell which direction they were going. By the time I got there, I couldn't find any of them. I still don't know where they went.
  • LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    I've decided not to read this thread because the whole concept conflicts with my belief that people cannot be cognizant of their own confirmation bias.

:)
  • Vikka_V
    Vikka_V Posts: 9,563 Member
    Options
    I have never heard that term before "conformation bias", I looked it up...I don't think I allow it to shape my world view very much at all...I am always open to new ideas and concepts, and I enjoy entertaining them, thinking about them.
  • fromaquasar1
    fromaquasar1 Posts: 51 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Lol. Confirmation bias is a unconscious bias. Like all unconscious biases most people think they are not affected. Every person claims it doesn't affect them, they think for themselves, they are free of it. And every person is wrong. It's part of how our brains are wired. It takes enormous awareness and cognitive load to shake off any unconscious bias for even a short period of time. It would take decades of work to do it consistently. You probably can't end your initial confirmation bias responses, but you can know that it's always happening and think "hmmm could I be experiencing confirmation bias now?" And then your confirmation bias will tell you you're fine.
  • fromaquasar1
    fromaquasar1 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    http://theoatmeal.com/comics/believe this is a good explanation in pictures!
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Is there a way to measure confirmation bias, which affects everyone all the time?