Should you do cradio for a month then start doing lifting?

Options
2»

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    After 15 years of power lifting I was at or around 250 lbs with high BP & cholesterol. This year I lost almost 50 pounds of fat by lifting moderate weight for 4 sets of 15 on a split routine of 4 days per week. I'm still at 220 lbs but want to loose another 10. The plan is to increase cardio and reduce my protein intake to the minimum amount recommended by this app. Since I'm at 20% fat, the last 10 lbs must come from muscle tissue alone. The encouraging news is I'm off BP drugs and now light enough to ride a bicycle. From this experience, resistance & cardio along with a sensible diet is what will build fitness and a lean physique. I hope this helps.

20% fat (if accurate) @ 220 lbs is 22 lbs of fat.
    Drop 10 of fat - 210 lbs @ 12 lbs of fat. 6% fat.

Yes, that is unlikely.

But so is dropping 50 lbs of fat and only 30 lbs of weight, implying a 20 lb gain in LBM in one year. Possible perhaps.

But there is more than just Fat Mass or muscle component to lose from. LBM is muscle, and water (blood volume and increase glucose stores with attached water), and everything not FM.

As there is less body that needs blood - blood volume goes down. So you likely will lose LBM, even if you kept all muscle mass.

But if less weight on the knees, or the bike because you enjoy going faster, means losing some muscle mass - could be a viable goal.
    Like competitive runners don't need extra muscle upstairs, willing to lose it.

20% of 220 is 44 not 22

44 lbs to 34 lbs 16%.

Totally achievable

Shoot, I wanted proffesor fate to find that and see if the lost 50 fat but 30 weight was a typo too.

Yes, it's much more possible than 50 and 30.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Both. Why do you want to lose muscle? It shapes your body.

Sometimes health reasons dictate lighter body weight is better than a muscular body at least in my case.