"But I don't want to get bulky!"

Options
Just wanted to share this video of 97 lb Cheryl Anderson deadlifting 315 lbs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d72hotMWvIw

She doesn't look very bulky to me. :laugh:

So maybe powerlifting 315 lbs isn't your goal -- it isn't mine either. I just wanted to drive home the point that strength and bulk are not necessarily the same thing. Don't fear the weights!

Replies

• July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to share this video of 97 lb Cheryl Anderson deadlifting 315 lbs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d72hotMWvIw

She doesn't look very bulky to me. :laugh:

So maybe powerlifting 315 lbs isn't your goal -- it isn't mine either. I just wanted to drive home the point that strength and bulk are not necessarily the same thing. Don't fear the weights!

Great post!!!
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    So true! I lift 5, 8, and 10 lb weights and my arms are getting smaller :happy:
  • DizzieLittleLifter
    DizzieLittleLifter Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    :noway: WOW! Amazing! great point too! :)
  • aymetcalf
    aymetcalf Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Wow! Totally agree! Bump!
  • EKarma
    EKarma Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    I've been lifting weights since about Feb '10 and I always get comments about how my upper body is.!.. I just started throwing in push ups and ab exercises! I can't wait to get my abs going strong..
  • glfprncs2
    glfprncs2 Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    There's also Crystal West who currently holds the world record in two pull-up 'divisions.' Here's a video of her doing a little pull-up freestyling...and she doesn't look bulky to me, either.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8O4C64c84uI
  • Rhaeven
    Rhaeven Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Great post...always been my biggest fear (until recently) that I'd just bulk up instead of get lean and tone...I've got bulky muscles to begin with, but....not worried about that anymore. I know I'd have to do some outrageous training to to from sexy bulky to overly muscled lol
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this...so many women freak out over working out...saying that they should do light weights and more reps because they don't want to get 'big'. More weight and fewer reps will increase muscle mass, but in order for a female to 'bulk up' she'll have to either take steroids or hormone therapy. I can not tell you how many times I've had to explain this on the boards.
  • unknownndoll
    unknownndoll Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    thanks for the post. i didnt know much about weights etc before recently, but i wasnt aware of how many women fear it either. I do chalean extream and lift heavy to failure, and the women on there her, her sister, and the chick with 7 kinds are small and lean!!! not bulky at all!! I only lift 7.5-15 lbs so far but i cant wait to get to where chalene is!!! like 25+ lbs. obviously I cant imagine over 300 lbs, but still.
  • lculian
    lculian Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    bump! I have to see this!
  • Fit4Vet
    Fit4Vet Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    bump cuz I can't watch it at work, but I wanna come back!
  • aling01
    aling01 Posts: 163
    Options
    actually the more you lift the toner your body gets esp if you're overweight. if you want to keep it toned, lower the weights and up the reps
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this...so many women freak out over working out...saying that they should do light weights and more reps because they don't want to get 'big'. More weight and fewer reps will increase muscle mass, but in order for a female to 'bulk up' she'll have to either take steroids or hormone therapy. I can not tell you how many times I've had to explain this on the boards.

It always cracks me up when women are afraid of bulking up. It takes a LOT of work to bulk up!
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    Bump for later - thanks for the post!
  • Tobi1013
    Tobi1013 Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Bumping for later since I can't watch at work!
  • Yurippe
    Yurippe Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    There's also Crystal West who currently holds the world record in two pull-up 'divisions.' Here's a video of her doing a little pull-up freestyling...and she doesn't look bulky to me, either.

This is the coolest thing I've ever seen.
  • glfprncs2
    glfprncs2 Posts: 625 Member
    Options

This is the coolest thing I've ever seen.

She's my pull up hero...she did over 1000 pull ups in 80 minutes trying for a world record (one currently held by a man)
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    actually the more you lift the toner your body gets esp if you're overweight. if you want to keep it toned, lower the weights and up the reps

I'm pretty sure the point of the video is, women shouldn't be afraid to up the weights and lower the reps. After all, that was 1 rep, haha.
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options

Oh wow. I'm currently at 1.5 - 1.75 unassisted pullups. Can't wait until I can bust out like 10 in a row.
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options

I'm pretty sure the point of the video is, women shouldn't be afraid to up the weights and lower the reps. After all, that was 1 rep, haha.

Yup. :happy: