Milk Diet

Options
I've been watching My 600 Pound Life, and when I ran out of those I started watching Fat Doctor, a BBC show. The surgeon on that show puts his patients on a diet to shrink their livers and bellies. The milk diet. You drink 4 pints of "semi-skim" milk, whatever that is, for your day. They do this for a month. HOW DID I NEVER THINK OF THIS???? I've done juice-fasts and they work but are a pain, with all the preparation...

Anyway, tomorrow will be day six for me (out of 7 days total, I think) and it's going really well. My front is definitely flatter. The best part is, after three days I had no hunger at all! Like with juice-fasts, your digestive system seems to go to sleep. For someone like me who's always hungry, it's a great relief.

It's working really well for the work-week, as all I need to do is buy a quart of skim or 1% on my way into the building, and I'm good for the day-- 2 bucks! So many advantages to this diet.

Well, probably someone will need to tell how unhealthy this is. You know what? It works for me. I only have 7-8 pounds to lose so I'm not worried.

Replies

• crooked_left_hook
    crooked_left_hook Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Watch out for kidney stones. My sister got them from drinking too much milk. No amount of weight loss is worth that pain.
  • DezYaoified
    DezYaoified Posts: 143 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Where are you that milk is only $2????
  • 30kgin2017
    30kgin2017 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Well I dont know about an all milk diet, but I have taken to replacing the odd meal with a protein shake made with milk.

Semi skim milk has some but no all fat removed, from what I have read whole milk has 3.5% fat, semi skimmed has about 1.7% and skimmed has about 0.5% fat. Calorie difference is about 5 cals per glass bewteen semi and skim milk.

So you are drinking about 2ltrs per day of milk, depending on the actual brand I am guessing around 700 cals per day. Definitely not a long term diet plan.
  • lioness803
    lioness803 Posts: 325 Member
    Options

Milk has been about $1.15 a gallon for several months where I am in Ohio.

The only way I could drink that much milk everyday is if it was chocolate and that probably defeats the purpose, lol
  • Poisonedpawn78
    Poisonedpawn78 Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    lioness803 wrote: »

The only way I could drink that much milk everyday is if it was chocolate and that probably defeats the purpose, lol

Had to do the conversion, but in Canada, Toronto area Milk is 4.50$ a gallon. :(
  • WendyLeigh1119
    WendyLeigh1119 Posts: 495 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Milk is $4.45 for a half gallon in PA. But that's because I only buy Organic. But I can't imagine $1 milk. Not even the hormone-laden, full fat cheap stuff.

And these "cleanses" (milk? Really?) are my trigger for feeling stabby, so I'll just say this: Cleanses are imaginary and are backed by exactly zero Scientific evidence.
  • MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Options
    Well, it is unhealthy. You're missing out on a lot of stuff that you can't get from milk, and sure it may help you shed those 7-8 pounds but then what? That's already a week of missing nutrients, and the likelihood that those 7-8 pounds may come back anyway.
  • sophie7591
    sophie7591 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    If you're not going to do this for the rest of your life you're going to immediately gain those 8 lbs back when you start eating again.
  • Tried30UserNames
    Tried30UserNames Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I've never done a milk diet that way, but I've done it with whole raw milk. As I recall, it was invented by a doctor who was one of the founders of the Mayo Foundation, forerunner to the Mayo Clinic. It isn't for weight loss, but for curing some certain health issues. It does work quite well for that purpose.

I'd think drinking only 8 cups of pasteurized semi-skimmed (lowfat) milk might not be quite the same, but I'd bet it is more satisfying than some other type of VLCD that doctors might put the morbidly obese on prior to surgery.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    crb426 wrote: »
    Are you going to do this for an entire month? What about all of the nutrients and fiber you aren't getting? And just because the doctor has his own show, doesn't make him right.

Also, there is an off chance that you develop an intolerance for it by drinking it so often, or at least get sick of it.

Here's my problem with fasts: not just that they can be unhealthy, but it's more that you aren't training yourself to understand how to eat healthy and in control for the long term.

I've seen the show. It's used as a pre-bariatric surgical prep. Which is supposed to shrink the liver. Of course, that also means it's medically supervised. And we are talking about patients who qualify for bariatric surgery under the NHS, so clinically obese.

I entered these 8c up 1% milk and here is the breakdown of nutrients (seems to leave something to be desired):

ira02xchesez.png

(the percentages for the macros are from my own goals, not the RDA, so those will be off)
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    Its a pre surgery diet. Its not intended for weightloss per say its to shrink the liver to prevent it being damaged when its hauled out the way during weight loss surgery

And its for 2 weeks
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    crb426 wrote: »
    Are you going to do this for an entire month? What about all of the nutrients and fiber you aren't getting? And just because the doctor has his own show, doesn't make him right.

Also, there is an off chance that you develop an intolerance for it by drinking it so often, or at least get sick of it.

Here's my problem with fasts: not just that they can be unhealthy, but it's more that you aren't training yourself to understand how to eat healthy and in control for the long term.

The doctor from the show isnt a quack

The show is about weightloss surgery on the nhs in the uk

Its a pre surgery diet to shrink the liver to reduce the risk of it being damaged when its being hauled out the way during surgery

Its not a weightloss diet and is typically done for 2 weeks, is monitored by the hospital during pre op tests

The op is being rediculous
  • DezYaoified
    DezYaoified Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    lioness803 wrote: »

Milk is $3.50 a gallon in my area
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Holy fad diet, Batman...
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    Enjoy putting it all back on when you go back to eating properly.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who has just been put on a milk diet. Prior to gallbladder surgery. It is NOT intended as a weightloss diet, and I gather it is not a fun way to spend your days.
  • Trilby16
    Trilby16 Posts: 707 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Well, I wasn't disappointed!!! :):):)

I'm doing it for a week, and maybe intermittently in the future. But thanks for your concern, everybody. Try googling it. Most "authorities" say it isn't harmful and you'll get results.

I know "diet" has become a dirty word for some reason, but sometimes I need to lose a few pounds, and this is working for me and it's EASY.

If you decide to try it, be sure not to tell anyone on this site!
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    Trilby16 wrote: »
    Well, I wasn't disappointed!!! :):):)

I'm doing it for a week, and maybe intermittently in the future. But thanks for your concern, everybody. Try googling it. Most "authorities" say it isn't harmful and you'll get results.

I know "diet" has become a dirty word for some reason, but sometimes I need to lose a few pounds, and this is working for me and it's EASY.

If you decide to try it, be sure not to tell anyone on this site!

'diet' when used in conjunction with this is a dirty word for the very good reason that it DOESN'T provide adequate nutrients for your health, can be mis-used (as you have done by doing this without doctor's supervision) and is specifically designed for weight-loss PRIOR to surgery.

It doesn't take much in the way of intelligence to realise that a single source of food as opposed to a varied diet is NOT going to be good for you or recommended. Seriously, humans are designed to eat a wide range of foods, so eat them.

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Trilby16 wrote: »

Well, probably someone will need to tell how unhealthy this is. You know what? It works for me. I only have 7-8 pounds to lose so I'm not worried.

and what happens after that? milk for the rest of your life?! :huh:
This discussion has been closed.