Rate My Macros / Tips on Tweaks

Options
I have be cutting for circa 12 weeks now coming towards the latter end of my cut. Aiming to drop 2% BF in 4 weeks ideally.

Stats are - 5"10 - 172lbs
42" chest
32" waist

Currently cutting on 2000 Cal - Average cals burnt 2700 per day (Fitbit)

6x gym (Push/pull/legs x2)

20 min cardio (low- moderate intensity)

Macros 150-180 g carb
50-70g Fat
180-200 protein

Any tips on tweaking this to maximize fat loss/muscle retention?

Big debate on cals, i am seeing progress but slowly, would you recommend drooping cals further or would i be at risk of losing too much muscle mass?

Thoughts welcome.

Replies

• tattygun
    tattygun Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I'd increase cardio before cutting calories.

Personally I'd prefer more fat and less carbs when cutting, 100g fat minimum.

The carbs I do consume would be centered pre and post workout only.

If you were to lower carbs and drop fat I'd recommend a high carb day once a week to begin with.
  • postchi1
    postchi1 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    What amount of carbs would you aim for with 100g fat?

I intend to lower carbs gradually down to 100g with fat circa 70g

May do a carb up day every 5 days (150g - 200)

How much cardio would you recommend? More inclined to low/med and hit longer durations as not a huge fan of HIIT
  • tattygun
    Options
    postchi1 wrote: »
    What amount of carbs would you aim for with 100g fat?

I intend to lower carbs gradually down to 100g with fat circa 70g

May do a carb up day every 5 days (150g - 200)

How much cardio would you recommend? More inclined to low/med and hit longer durations as not a huge fan of HIIT

Carbs... whatever you are left with to maintain the same amount of protein and total calories you are currently on.

You should be good with 100g and it should allow you to keep up training intensity especially if eaten around the workouts and incorporating proper re-feeds. I should add that I recommend carbs around workouts not just to fuel and repair from the workout but to increase insulin sensitivity. The more insulin sensitive you are the better you are at nutrient partitioning.

You look like you've some decent mass, I'd say you'd be better having a refeed weekly but shooting for around 400g initially. 200g is pissing in the wind if you've some decent size.

I'd increase cardio by 10 minutes each week. I think HIIT is detrimental deep into a cut on low carbs, all my cardio is moderate.
  • postchi1
    Options
    Some good info thanks Tattygun,

I will tweak macros 104C / 207P / 92F - 2070Kcal

I tend to work carbs in before/after anyway for added energy.

400g carb, would leave little room to hi protein marcos with 2070 kcal would you typically go over on cals or just lower P and F

Agreed steady state cardio is pref
  • dalerst
    dalerst Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to understand my macros at the minute, would be nice to understand how you will achieve you setting of only 104C / 207P / and 92F but still manage 2070Kcals per day?
  • postchi1
    Options
    If you use the MFP app on the goals tab you can divide macros by % to meet calories for the day.

104C - 20%
    207P - 40%
    92G - 40%
  • dalerst
    Options
    OK so have you set you Kcal goal to 2070? I would think that is enough calories if you are working out 4-5 times a week, will that not leave you on a big cal deficit for each day?

Sorry for so many questions I'm just trying to understand what I need to do, but I'm trying to put a bit of bulk on not cut.
  • postchi1
    Options
    What are your stats dalerst? (Height,weight etc)

2070 is my cal target as i am deep into a cut my manitenance cals would be circa 2800-300 dependent on activity levels that day.

If you are looking to bulk you would need to be at a caloric surplus for a prolonged period of time and applying progress overloads to your weights in the gym.
  • dalerst
    Options
    I'm currently 11st 10lb and height is 6ft 1"

I'm only trying to get to about 12st 5lb but at the minute I'm struggling to get my cal intake up much more that 2100 per day whilst trying to eat clean healthy foods before going over my carb allowance

MFP settings 2470Kcal
    216P
    216C
    82F

PS sorry to crash your post :)

• tattygun
    Options
    postchi1 wrote: »
    Some good info thanks Tattygun,

I will tweak macros 104C / 207P / 92F - 2070Kcal

I tend to work carbs in before/after anyway for added energy.

400g carb, would leave little room to hi protein marcos with 2070 kcal would you typically go over on cals or just lower P and F

Agreed steady state cardio is pref

On re feed days I try to stick to white meat and fish. With all those carbs going in, when your system isn't used to it then I prefer to give my body more easily digestible protein, so by default my fat drops as I'm avoiding red meat. I'm also happy to lower my overall protein intake on re feed days due to the carbs being in there. Overall calorie intake will be increased though yes.
  • postchi1
    Options
    dalerst wrote: »
    I'm currently 11st 10lb and height is 6ft 1"

I'm only trying to get to about 12st 5lb but at the minute I'm struggling to get my cal intake up much more that 2100 per day whilst trying to eat clean healthy foods before going over my carb allowance

MFP settings 2470Kcal
    216P
    216C
    82F

PS sorry to crash your post :)

No probs,

I would try and move your cals intake up, at 6ft 1 i would be very surprised if you could bulk on 2470. Try and find your maintenance (Fitbit or height/weight/activity formula).

try bump cals, increase carbs if poss. Rough estimate i would sat atleast 3000cal a day

If you are struggling to eat the cals drink them :)
    (P shakes with carbs tend to be quite high in cals)
  • dalerst
    Options
    Thanks I will give it a look on my fitbit and try and work it out, I've been on ISO protein drinks for sometime but they are very low in Carbs so maybe I will look and adding some extra in to my training program.