Leg fatigue ?

Options
2»

Replies

• slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    Someone mentioned to me that I might need to buy new shoes. Anyone know of any good shoes for exercises like jump squats, lunges, jogging, not so much heavy weights but moderate lifting scenarios, bosu ball, etc.? I've been having a lot of knee pain as well especially with the lunges any advice on a good supportive shoe?

no support.. go barefoot.

Do NOT go barefoot for jump squats and other jumping exercises.

In fact, if you're having knee pain I would lay off anything that takes your feet off the ground and focus on form for your more basic exercises like lunges and basic squats etc. Once you have that down (and find a shoe you like) try the more adventurous exercises again. If you're overweight (sorry too lazy to scroll up and reread the whole thread) I usually don't advise those types of exercises either.

I personally like "minimalist" style shoes, and find shoes with heavy support are not comfortable for me. Others swear by new balance and very heavily cushioned shoes. I would recommend you go to dicks and try different style shoes on, see what feels good in the store. Then try them out for a week. Dicks has an AWESOME return policy, and you are allowed to actually use the shoes (even outside!) and then return them if needed. I believe you only have 30 days though. I always take advantage of this, and find it 100% necessary for finding good exercise shoes. I only buy clearance clothing, but never skimp on running shoes (or shoes for the types of exercises you are describing) Good luck.
  • amandamdouglas462
    amandamdouglas462 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    slaite1 wrote: »
    Someone mentioned to me that I might need to buy new shoes. Anyone know of any good shoes for exercises like jump squats, lunges, jogging, not so much heavy weights but moderate lifting scenarios, bosu ball, etc.? I've been having a lot of knee pain as well especially with the lunges any advice on a good supportive shoe?

In fact, if you're having knee pain I would lay off anything that takes your feet off the ground and focus on form for your more basic exercises like lunges and basic squats etc. Once you have that down (and find a shoe you like) try the more adventurous exercises again. If you're overweight (sorry too lazy to scroll up and reread the whole thread) I usually don't advise those types of exercises either.

I personally like "minimalist" style shoes, and find shoes with heavy support are not comfortable for me. Others swear by new balance and very heavily cushioned shoes. I would recommend you go to dicks and try different style shoes on, see what feels good in the store. Then try them out for a week. Dicks has an AWESOME return policy, and you are allowed to actually use the shoes (even outside!) and then return them if needed. I believe you only have 30 days though. I always take advantage of this, and find it 100% necessary for finding good exercise shoes. I only buy clearance clothing, but never skimp on running shoes (or shoes for the types of exercises you are describing) Good luck.

Ok good point, I will go there and check it out. I agree with the heavy shoes not helping out and feeling bulky. I'm not sure where to even start
  • Katiebear_81
    Katiebear_81 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    You said 4 months? It's possible that your joints haven't "firmed" all the way back up, so you're getting knee pain. Do you see a chiropractor? Not everyone loves them, but I really appreciated mine post-pregnancy.

If you're able to leave your baby with a sitter/baby daddy, then yoga might feel better to you right now. Or something a bit lower impact. Do you have a YMCA? They have lots of different classes, and offer child minding.

Also don't forget - it's ok to take some time to not be I perfect shape. I know that it's hard to accept that, but you do have a long time to get back into shape, and your baby is only going to be small for a short time. :). Enjoy being a mom, and try to convince yourself to not feel any kind of pressure about how you look, etc.
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    slaite1 wrote: »

Ok good point, I will go there and check it out. I agree with the heavy shoes not helping out and feeling bulky. I'm not sure where to even start

It sounds overwhelming and we're all coming at you with tons of advice, but it's not so bad.

I personally like Nike free run shoes and a couple of the Under Armour running shoes (also light weight). I literally walk around the store picking up shoes and try on the lightest ones with the smallest bottom. I annoy the *kitten* out of the poor kids working there hahah. Of course you may like something different, but it's a start!
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I just went to a running store, and the employee gave me advice on the right fit. I do Zumba and jogging, and the right shoes made a HUGE difference.

When I did a boot camp, I talked to the instructor when I developed exercise-induced asthma and knee pain. She gave me some modifications, including cutting down on the jumping jacks and running. She also recommended three classes a week, with a day off between classes so my muscles could rest and recover.
  • amandamdouglas462
    amandamdouglas462 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    You said 4 months? It's possible that your joints haven't "firmed" all the way back up, so you're getting knee pain. Do you see a chiropractor? Not everyone loves them, but I really appreciated mine post-pregnancy.

If you're able to leave your baby with a sitter/baby daddy, then yoga might feel better to you right now. Or something a bit lower impact. Do you have a YMCA? They have lots of different classes, and offer child minding.

Also don't forget - it's ok to take some time to not be I perfect shape. I know that it's hard to accept that, but you do have a long time to get back into shape, and your baby is only going to be small for a short time. :). Enjoy being a mom, and try to convince yourself to not feel any kind of pressure about how you look, etc.

I think you're right about my joints not being ready yet, my knees are getting pretty bad even on non workout days. I'm doing it more so to feel good but I don't have a YMCA membership I am already paying about $100 a month for bootcamp at the moment. Did you experience this with your joints if you've had children? My hubby works a lot like 90 hrs some weeks, I wish I would have time for some yoga. So chiropractors help with knee pain as well? Does insurance normally cover that?
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Certain moves make my legs feel like this too. Taking days of rest between these workouts seems like a good idea. You can add yoga before or after(or on alternating days) to help stretch and strengthen your body. There are lots of free yoga videos on YouTube or check your library. You don't have to pay for workouts if you can get creative. I use the gym at work, bleachers too. Lots of free DVDs to borrow from the library.