Why is bread the enemy?

Replies

• ladypoohbear1
    ladypoohbear1 Posts: 3 Member
    I used to eat bread. After surgery it feels like it expands in my pouch. Icky feeling. I hardly eat bread and when I do, I toast it.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    I used to eat bread. After surgery it feels like it expands in my pouch. Icky feeling. I hardly eat bread and when I do, I toast it.

I love bread so much I worked very hard to find the textures my pouch would tolerate. I toast mine too. Rough breads like the ryes are tolerated well too.

• fatblatta
    fatblatta Posts: 333 Member
    As a low carb eater, I rarely eat bread. Many low carb folks don't eat any bread, ever.

https://authoritynutrition.com/23-studies-on-low-carb-and-low-fat-diets/

Many health professionals now believe that a low-carb diet (higher in fat and protein) is a much better option to treat obesity and other chronic, Western diseases.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    crazyravr wrote: »
    I know that there are a lot of people who eat low carb, and I understand the various reasons for that, though I don't eat that way myself.

But I feel like I'm always seeing people avoiding bread specifically without limiting other carbs or food made from processed grains. What's the reason for this? Why do so many people view bread as adversarial to weight loss?

This is the reason. Its killer.
    21+Whole+Grains+and+Seeds+White.jpg?format=300w

If you read the package a little closer you see that Dave's bakery does hire released convicts, even released felons.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    fatblatta wrote: »
    As a low carb eater, I rarely eat bread. Many low carb folks don't eat any bread, ever.

https://authoritynutrition.com/23-studies-on-low-carb-and-low-fat-diets/

Many health professionals now believe that a low-carb diet (higher in fat and protein) is a much better option to treat obesity and other chronic, Western diseases.

1) Authority Nutrition is a junk science website.

2) Science shows that fat restriction is more effective than carbohydrate restriction for fat loss:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26278052

Low carbohydrate diets increase cortisol: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17785367

Ketogenic diets have no metabolic advantage: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/16685046/

Low-carb diets have no effect upon weight loss: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/22935440/

Keto diets do not result in more fat loss than isocaloric non-keto diets: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/27385608/

You must keep a folder of links for times like this. :D

The authority nutrition link is to 23 other peer reviewed studies.

All that was said was that many heath professionals now believe a LCHF diet is s better option to treat obesity and and other chronic western diseases. That's true. My doctor recommended it too.

It was not said that LCHF lowers cortisol, that keto has a metabolic advantage, or that keto results in more fat loss. I do think a LCHF diet can be used to achieve weight loss though - it's a fine tool.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    regpark85 wrote: »
    It's not... i love the Ezekiel Sprouted Bread, great carb source. :)

Yep. This.

It's the only bread I'll have in the house; it's good stuff.
  • Aerona85
    Aerona85 Posts: 159 Member
    I don't eat much bread simply because it doesn't keep long enough. I get maybe half a loaf eaten and it is moldy. Unless I buy the white bread from Kwik Trip...that stuff never molds (and scares me as to what is in it!). Sure I freeze some but it never tastes the same.
  • fatblatta
    I'm not getting into that waste of time discussion again. The OP asked what's the harm in bread. I was providing evidence of why a person would not eat bread. It's high in carbs. A large percentage of people that are trying to lose weight are doing it successfully eating low carb. Just get over it.
  • mandyneedtolose
    mandyneedtolose Posts: 398 Member
    I think it has to do with the person. Bread isn't evil. If you want it have it in moderation. I choice not to include bread in my plan as I want to spend the calories on other foods. And for me when I eat a lot of bread in my diet my weight stalls .. But that's how it works for me. And that's not just breads for me that's pasta, rice, bread and processed junk. I think you got to see what works for you and go with it! :)
  • fatblatta
    It's right. I didn't say a majority. Of all the methods in use, a large percentage could be something like 25%.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    J72FIT wrote: »
    J72FIT wrote: »
    What is the healthiest bread you can buy at Walmart or similar grocery store?

What would a "healthy" bread be for you? Are you looking for the lowest calorie? Fiber count? Higher protein? Certain micronutrients?

I guess I'm just looking for a kind that benefits a super healthy diet. I am trying to lose about 10 pounds, but am more concerned with putting good calories in and getting the crap out. So I guess something high in fiber and/or protein but low in carbs.

For ordinary sandwiches I like Sara Lee 100% whole wheat - like all bread, it's pretty much carbs and empty calories, but it's only 130 calories and 20g net carbs per two slices. I'm a diabetic and eaten with other non-carb food two slices of this bread has a modest effect on my blood sugar.

What?!?!?!?!

Were you thinking that bread was a great source of nutrients? It's really not. It's not the devil, but neither is it nutrient-dense. It's not even a good source of the nutrients which usually come from grains. On a 1200 calorie a day diet, that's relevant - two slices of low calorie bread form one tenth of everything you get to eat in a day.

You called bread "empty calories"...

But if it doesn't fill you up, that's pretty much what it is, lol. For me, at least.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    I've cut back on bread, but I won't/can't cut it out. Every Sabbath, every Jewish holiday meal begins with a piece of challah, often homemade. Eating falls under 'If you have a medical condition that makes it impossible to eat it, (e.g. celiac) that's one thing. Otherwise, you should have at least about a half-slice'. I limit my bread consumption to two slices on Friday night, two slices on Saturday. Plus a bagel. The rest of the week, if I'm in the mood and calories permit, sure. But maybe not. And the days when I was buttering or oiling naan, warming it in the oven, and eating 2 to 3 rounds at a time? Gone, hopefully never to return.
  • I have never restricted bread or carbohydrates in general. Bread is not a food that I get excited to eat, though, unless it's a really good, freshly-baked kind. It's just kind of a boring food! People crave what they've restricted, so maybe that's why I'm not especially drawn to bread?
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    It's the enemy to me because I love the stuff too much, with a slab of salted butter on it.

I'm out to eat tonight and will have a bread roll treat.