Can I train my body to produce insulin?

Options
Can I effectively train my body to produce the right amount of insulin? I'm diabetic and I have cut all most all carbs and sugars. Will that hinder a healthy production of insulin? I became diabetic from gaining to much weight and getting fat. I have brought my sugar down to 5.3 from 7.9 A1C in 1yr. I've reached a point where it seems like I'm fighting to lose that last bit of fat around my waste.

Replies

• T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    There is an important, but often misunderstood difference between not making enough insulin vs. not using insulin efficiently. Most type 2 diabetics make as much insulin as they need, but use it inefficiently. Even though this is sometimes described as "not making enough," it isn't exactly the same thing. Technically, if you use it inefficiently so that it takes 1.5 times as much insulin to reduce glucose to a normal level, and your pancreas is working hard to make 1.1 times as much insulin as otherwise needed, then yes... you are technically not making enough insulin. However, that description masks the underlying issue.

Based on your explanation, it sounds like you probably have a metabolic issue (type 2). In the short term, I suggest reducing carb consumption and swapping out calories for higher fat. This will reduce increases in blood glucose (BG), which reduces insulin needs. An A1C of 5.3 is pretty good, so short term glucose spikes may be your problem.

Keep working on losing and then maintaining weight in the long term.
  • bigguyreed
    bigguyreed Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Thank you very much that helps, I'm not giving up. I'm going to keep at it and yes I'm a (type 2). I've been on insulin for about 10yrs. and trying to get off of it. I do have spikes even when I haven't had any carbs or sugar. My sugar can be 90 in morning and eat 2 boiled eggs and meat patty's, coffee sweet-in-low and my sugar be 199 at lunch.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Protein can increase BG, though it would not typically be characterized as a spike because it takes longer for that increase to occur. There are a lot of other factors as well, but you might try 1 boiled egg instead of 2; or 0 eggs and replace with another meat patty - assuming it is a fatty meat without a carb-heavy seasoning.

One of the other factors that seems to affect BG for some people is caffeine. Then again... if you ask me, I would take more insulin before I stopped drinking coffee.

Those are just a couple ideas to try and see what happens. The increase still seems high for what you are eating. I'm curious how much insulin you take, when, and what kind. Some basal insulins have peaks. If you are taking a basal insulin, when was the last time you did fasting basal rate testing?
  • yskaldir
    yskaldir Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Fasting is supposed to increase insulin sensitivity.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Dr Bernstein's Diabetes Solution is a good book on how to lower insulin needs and blood glucose. It's a LCHF plan.

Fung's Obesity Code uses LCHF and fasting to lower insulin and BG. Those may help you.

Otherwise, lowering carbs to a low ketogenic level, and keeping protein moderate, should help you keep BG lower.
  • cmusa2100
    cmusa2100 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I would look into studies by volek. He works of OSU but he has been getting pretty consistent results with a high fat low carb diet showing a reversal in diabetes type 2 and possibility in not needing insulin after diet ... but it highly revcommended to do their diet under inpatient setting at first and takes a lot of monitoring .

Personally more research needs to be done but its very hopeful
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,068 Member
    Options
    cheldadex wrote: »
    Fasting is supposed to increase insulin sensitivity.

O. P is a diabetic on insulin.

Fasting is probably not a good idea.
  • brittudy
    brittudy Posts: 2 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I'd second The Obesity Code if you like to read and understand diabetes and insulin resistance as well as how weight is managed by your body's hormones. Dr Fung can be found on YouTube if watching/listening works better for you. Excellent book, really helped me. I'm currently reading his latest book on intermittent fasting that he wrote w Jimmy Moore.

Getting rid of old notions about calories in/out and low fat has changed my life and health. Now I'm on a mission to help my husband get with the latest in nutrition science too. His parents and all his siblings have ended up with diabetes in varying degrees, his dad now suffering from dementia which many scientists are now calling diabetes type 3. My husband is fit from an exercise perspective (90 minutes ebety other day) and yet his lean muscle mass has declined while his mid section body fat is way up - all from a diet low in fat high in carbs and sugar. He runs the engine through its paces but is putting ineffective fuel in his tank.

High fat, moderate protein, lower carb has changed my mental acuity, health, and is the only thing that shaves the fat off my menopausal body. Plus so much easier for my lifestyle and will power. Anyway, those books and the other works out there are worth considering as you decide how best to address you concerns about your diabetes markers.
  • bigguyreed
    bigguyreed Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Thanks everybody for your input and I'll look into some of those books. I may check out Dr. Fung on you tube first see if he can enlighten me with some ideas.