Trying to be healthy, but fruit keeps throwing off the sugar count

Options
Hi there,
I am really trying to lose about 10 kgs right now. Working hard at it, walking well every day, watching my food intake, and sticking to fresh, seasonal food as much as possible. At the moment we have cherries, strawberries, and raspberries in the garden, as well as melon at the market. I eat salad every day at lunch, with an apple, and green veggies at dinner (zucchini, peas, spinach...) but the strawberries and melon keep on putting me over my sugar goal. As I am in the at-risk of diabetes group, and my main reason for wanting/needing to lose the weight is to avoid actually getting diabetes, I am wondering if I should be cutting out the fruit....can anyone help?

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Sugar won't prevent you from losing weight. Excess calories will prevent you from losing weight. As long as the calories in your fruit aren't keeping you from meeting protein & fat minimums, I wouldn't worry too much.

Losing weight & being active are going to help stave off diabetes.
    https://www.diabetes.org.uk/Guide-to-diabetes/Enjoy-food/Eating-with-diabetes/Diabetes-food-myths/myth-fruit-diabetes/
  • burntoutphilosopher
    burntoutphilosopher Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    If yiu are over your calorie goal ... Yes you should cut back on the fruit...
    ... if your under your calorie goal ... dig in!

• extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Just adding to the "don't worry about sugar" crowd. Keep your calories in line and you'll lose weight. Many people find that cutting sugar makes it easier for them to manage their calorie intake, but that's the only reason it works. Don't buy into the whole sugar-is-the-devil fad.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Unless you're diabetic, you shouldn't worry about fruit sugar too much. Especially for weight loss.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I ate fruit as a diabetic all the time. You will get less of a sugar spike if you eat it with a bit of fat or protein, like peanut butter, nuts, yogurt, or a small cube of cheese.

Your sugar numbers will go over in MFP but it's not stratospheric and all that lovely fruit is also full of antioxidants and fiber. Enjoy your fruit.
  • spdaphne
    spdaphne Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Those are low sugar fruits so it should be ok. I know people are oh it's about calories, but not all calories are the same.

You can do a search for low GI foods which will help maintain your blood sugars throughout the day.

In general, it's smart to be mindful of sugar, even if it's naturally occurring. I aim to not eat more than 1-2 servings of fruit a day.

You're probably fine, just remember to eat more whole foods and less processed foods ... Happy eating!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    If you are worried about what fruit sugars does to your blood glucose you could always purchase a simple blood glucose metre and test yourself before and after (30, 60 and 90 + minutes) eating the fruits. That will tell you if those fruits are a problem.

For healthy people, fruit is not often a problem, especially if you are not eating the high GI fruits (raisins, grapes, figs, bananas) frequently or in large amounts.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,653 Member
    Options
    For what it's worth, my grandmother had diabetes and, unless the rules have changed, I'm at risk to get it too. I have NEVER shyed (shied?) away from any kind of sugar and I have yet to get it. And i'm old! :) I've always tested normal. I'm sure the weight lost had something to do with it.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Always remember that is isn't mostly about the caloric intake as it is about the Carb intake. Excess carbs convert to sugar and sugar is stored if not used.
    Keep an eye on the Carbs !

No. Not true. Absolutely not. Science disagrees.

If it were true, the majority of people here would not have lost weight, me included.

Excess calories get stored as fat.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Always remember that is isn't mostly about the caloric intake as it is about the Carb intake. Excess carbs convert to sugar and sugar is stored if not used.
    Keep an eye on the Carbs !

No. Not true. Absolutely not. Science disagrees.

If it were true, the majority of people here would not have lost weight, me included.

Excess calories get stored as fat.

Guess which macronutrient is most easily stored as fat? (in a caloric surplus, of course)

You'll never guess....

It's a tough one....

FAT is most easily stored as fat. If you can imagine that.
  • jokiwi26
    jokiwi26 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Well, thanks everyone, for your input. I didn't intend to start a this vs that argument :-) I have just finished reading a very interesting article in Time about how one diet does not suit all. Given that I have no gall bladder, a real Keto diet is not for me. I can't eat a lot of fat without having serious issues. For now I shall go on with the lovely fresh fruit from the garden, the small amount of healthy protein, and all the fresh veggies that I can eat. All with our own olive oil, sparingly applied. :-) I have lost 3kg so far...
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    jokiwi26 wrote: »
    Well, thanks everyone, for your input. I didn't intend to start a this vs that argument :-) I have just finished reading a very interesting article in Time about how one diet does not suit all. Given that I have no gall bladder, a real Keto diet is not for me. I can't eat a lot of fat without having serious issues. For now I shall go on with the lovely fresh fruit from the garden, the small amount of healthy protein, and all the fresh veggies that I can eat. All with our own olive oil, sparingly applied. :-) I have lost 3kg so far...

Nice work on the weight loss! Do your self a favor and go into settings and measure fiber or something else instead of sugar. As others have said, 1) maintain a calorie deficit 2) adequate fats and protein. The rest is not that important. Fresh fruits and veggies are great for you! Tons of micro-nutrients and anti oxidants. Go to it!
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Weight loss alone is enough to reduce your risk of developing diabetes. In fact it's one of the most potent factors for most people. There are outliers, but in most T2 cases this is the case. Focus on that right now and don't overcomplicate things. Switch out sugar for fiber and continue doing what you are doing. If you make your diet too stressful you are more likely to quit, which is worse for diabetes than going over sugar.