To log or not to log, that is the question

Options
mr_bob_1974
mr_bob_1974 Posts: 14 Member
Pretty new to logging my caloric intake, and was just wondering how every feels about logging the "little stuff." I'm talking about things such as:
  1. A stick of sugar free gum
  2. A piece of sugar free candy,
  3. A tic tac
  4. a cup of black coffee

I find these things help me get through the day. However logging them seems like it would be tedious - On the other hand, I want the log to be accurate.

Replies

• xandra47
    xandra47 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I pre-log alot of stuff I eat or drink often like coffee, then just change the amounts or erase the things I don't end up eating. Logging gets MUCH less tedious the longer you do it because all your foods get saved and are quick to add after the first time. I also plan my meals for the week on Sundays and just make adjustments as I go.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    1. Depends on how many pieces you chew. One piece is around 5 calories most of the time. If you go through a pack a day it adds up.
    2. Log it. Some can be fairly calorie hefty. They add up.
    3. Depends on how many you eat.
    4. I personally don't because it's one cup and I have it daily. If I cut out calories my cup of coffee will remain unchanged.
  • scarlett_k
    scarlett_k Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Gum and coffee I wouldn't bother with as the calories are negligible even if you get through a lot of either.

The same isn't true for many sugar free sweets which can still have significant calorific value if you consume them through the day, and tic tacs it would depend if you're prone to getting through packs of them I suppose.
  • Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    I would skip all of those

I have a fake "junk" food item - that I use when its' a generic treat - the act of entering it is more important than getting the exact calories and save the hassle of lookin up the right item
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    1. No
    2. Yes
    3. No
    4. yes

That's my personal way - but do what works for you. I doubt any of those will make much difference. Maybe down the road when your deficit is smaller and you have to be more accurate if you're struggling then you know where you can look at making changes (by adding all the small things you hadn't been logging).
  • OhMsDiva
    OhMsDiva Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    I do not log gum. I log tic tacs although I do not think it makes a big difference in my calories. I do not log my coffee although I do add almond milk and sugar free calories, but I am also aware of how much I am using so I log it mentally. I do not log diet sodas or fat free salad dressing when I use it. I figure I may eat 50-100 calories that I may not log, but like I said I am aware of what I do not log and as long as it does not affect my weight loss I am ok.
  • BrutalMeHonest
    BrutalMeHonest Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    If you log absolutely every little thing, you can start getting obsessive about calories. I don't log my seasonings, I don't log tic tacs or any 0 calorie stuff. Using MFP isn't about obsessing over details, it's about learning to create a new healthy lifestyle.
    I don't nibble things anymore, I don't steal stuff from my husbands plate, I know now that those little bites can add up to big calories.
  • mr_bob_1974
    mr_bob_1974 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Very good input guys, thanks! I'll probably do like a couple people mentioned and put a "junk food" entry in my log of about 15 calories or so since I probably don't consume any more than 15 calories of gum, coffiee, etc. Now I won't have to feel bad about not logging it. Great input thanks
  • OaklandTeacher
    OaklandTeacher Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Hi I like the idea of deciding how many junk calories you are okay with on any given day, then being aware that you're not going over regularly. I also agree with whoever talked about tracking sugar, because small amounts eaten enough times can be counterproductive. Good luck!
  • SafioraLinnea
    SafioraLinnea Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    It depends on how much of those things you consume. If you have multiple of each daily, I might just to see what the averages are. It sounds like you consume more than one or two a day.

I guess it just depends how tight your calorie budget is and what your goals are. If you are already struggling with meeting your calorie goals, logging the little extras may be crucial for seeing the impact.

I personally might have a piece of gum and two or three mints a week but often as little as zero of any of it. It just doesn't work for me and makes me feel hungry when I'm not.
  • kelsiestoner
    kelsiestoner Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I always log my coffee first thing in the morning but I try not to sweat the small stuff. The calories you get from gum and things like that are usually burned by exercises you wouldnt log either so it cancels out in the end.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    When I chew gum, I do it like it's my job. I have to add the calories. I add at least a cup of coffee per day, but maybe not the second. Any candy is logged, sugar free or not. One tic tac, no. A box of tic tacs, yes.