Strength Training?

Options
Hey all,

I know that a mix of cardio and strength training is best -- strength training will build muscle mass. I have one main struggle, however, and it's that I have carpal tunnel. It's been improving because I see a chiropractor, but my hands are still much weaker than normal hand strength and I can't necessarily grasp weights. Even opening a package or milk carton or moving my hands when I wake up (the time of day I'm available to exercise) can be hard! On top of this, I had knee injuries from a horse accident, so squats and stairs and such kill my knees. I'm pretty much a complete wreck!

Any thoughts on this?

Replies

• Rufftimes
    Rufftimes Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I have the same issues as well. 25 years of being a millwright has killed my hands. Fortunately, I find gripping a dumbbell easier than a set of keys. I sometimes feel I can go heavier, but I get by. I do all my workouts at home with Beachbody, and it works very well for me.
    And there is nothing worse than waking up with numb hands. I actually wake u a lot in the middle of the night and find I'm holding them in the air in my sleep
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I'm pretty much a complete wreck!

No, you're an incredibly capable human being who has a couple of limitations. Much like many elite athletes. ;)

You can do a full body workout, but you'll need to find modifications that work for you, which is going to take some trial & error. For example, you could try lifting straps or hooks. Those will help with pulling exercises ("back").
    For pushing exercises ("chest"), you could try pushups on your fists (on a cushioned surface) instead of with open palms. Some people do them holding dumbbells (flat-sided ones work best). Or just buy pushup bars.
    For legs, you almost certainly can do Romanian deadlifts and also wall sits. Play with the strength program in my profile and let me know if you need more alternatives for an exercise.

By the way, if your hands improve as the day progresses, consider doing at least some of your workout later in the day, possibly at home and/or on your day off. :+1: