How do I run a half marathon?

Options
So yes, I signed up for the half and I'm already starting to plan ahead....Granted, its three months away, but I'm already thinking 'logistics'....

Training for me isn't that tough...I have my plan already. But I'm more interested in what happens before, during and after. For example: What do I wear? This sounds like a silly question but it will happen in northern Michigan at the end of October. I'll be cold at first, then hot. What is the best 'sniffle gear' for a race of this magnitude? How do I fuel before, during and after?

These are the little things that I have questions about....to include many others...

I've never run one before so I would like to know kind of what I'm in for...and the things that I might not be thinking about but I should...
Any advice would be greatly apreciated...

Replies

• melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Good for you! I ran my first half last month, so I can share my experiences with you.

What to wear - try out various combinations in your training runs, along similar routes and similar conditions, times of day etc. You WILL be very hot running - my favourite bit of kit is my wrist/ sweatband. Your shoes are the most important - how old are they? I ended up buying a new pair half way through my 12 week training plan as my old ASICS were giving me shin pain.

Fuelling - a bit of carbs in the 24 hours before the race - pasta the night before, porridge for breafast. That's as complicated as it needs to be. I do sometimes have a chocolate milk after a long run.

There's a group on here called from Plodders to Sprinters - lots of great advice on there from more experienced runners than me - there was a really good thread on half-marathonning, I'll try to link it for you.
  • Codefox
    Codefox Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Its smart to plan now!

What to wear is tough. I get VERY hot when I run so even in 30 degree weather I start off with my normal short sleeve shirt and shorts. If it is below freezing I'll put on some thin gloves but I just can't and don't need cold weather gear. If you want something for the starting line while you wait to keep warm, get a really cheap sweatshirt that you can toss on the ground when you start. A lot of big races collect that stuff and give it away to those in need.

Fueling up isn't very challenging but a few things to keep in mind. If you've been training properly for the race, by the week of the race you will have completely depleted your glycogen stores. Most people do a carb load the night before but that's not the right way to do it. The week of the race, starting 3 days or so before, increase your carb intake for the next 3 days. Now, glycogen will make you hold more water in your cells as well so expect to gain weight that week. It will vanish on race day as you burn off that fuel. During your training, you can get used to fueling up on long runs. I like to use gels every 45 - 60 minutes. Not required but I find they help me enjoy the run a lot more. There are a lot of brands out there so find what you like. After the race have a beer. Or two 8)

If you are training well for the race you'll find you won't really be sore afterwards. I run 13 miles as a long run most weekends and I go about my day just fine. Since its a race you'll go all out so you'll probably be a little sore so take a day or two off if you need it and then get some light running in.

Also, the week leading up to the race, you want to try and taper. That means cutting your mileage back so your body has a chance to recover from all your training. Good luck! Keep us posted.
  • blgerig
    blgerig Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    The best thing is to try different things as you are training and do NOTHING NEW the weekend of the race! Try out different "fuel" the nights before your longer runs and/or during your runs and see what works for you.

What works for me is to make sure I am well hydrated all week, eat pasta with some lean protein the night before (limiting the amount of dairy or fibrous vegetables at that meal) and to have toast with peanut butter and a banana an hour and a half or so before the race. Some say to avoid coffee, but I am a daily coffee drinker and usually have at least a half cup about two hours before the race. If you want to eat something during the race try different gels/chews/etc during runs to see what works for you!

I would definitely say if it will be cold to start wear a long sleeve tee or lightweight jacket that you don't mind tossing aside as you run and it warms up! I did my first half in October in the Midwest a few years ago. I wore an earband and gloves to start with shorts, tall socks and a long sleeve tee. Ditched the earband and gloves around mile 3.

The best thing I did for myself was to go to a running store and get professionally fitted for shoes. They put me a size up from what I thought I needed and it made a world of difference!

Feel free to add me, I have done a few half marathons and plan to do more! Good luck! :)
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Which one are you doing? I was considering doing the one on Mackinaw Island in October. But I think I may do the Detroit half instead.

I did my first (and currently only) half in April - the Martian Half. It was cold and rainy that day. Brrr....I wore cold gear running tights, a cold gear long sleeve turtleneck (which could be pulled up over my face, and had mittens to pull over my hands if needed), a very light jacket (doesn't provide much warmth but was good for the light rain), and a hat.

these are the running tights I like. The Under armour ones I have aren't as warm: http://www.roadrunnersports.com/rrs/products/RRL1002/

For fuel, I had a light breakfast (english muffin with PB&J is my typical prerun meal). I may have had something else, I can't quite remember. During the run, I had taken peanut butter and crackers and ate them around mile 11. I could have made the whole run but got dizzy at that point. Turns out it was the swaying bridge I had just run over, not lack of food LOL. I figured it out on the second swaying bridge. So, I could have made the whole race without additional food. I just had small amounts of water at the aid stations (I never carry water when I run) and every other aid station I'd do Gatorade.

After the race, we went out to Olive Garden LOL. I ate a LOT of food all throughout the rest of that day. I think I hit about 3000 calories that day.

i-Jfjbt7P-M.jpg
  • blgerig
    Options

After the race have a beer. Or two 8)

Yes!! Best recovery ;)
  • SergeantG
    SergeantG Posts: 92
    Options
    Which one are you doing? I was considering doing the one on Mackinaw Island in October. But I think I may do the Detroit half instead.

i-Jfjbt7P-M.jpg

I'm doing the one in Mackinaw :o)
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Some of the advice seems odd. By the time you run the race, you should have already run that distance at least once. So, that why I say, do NOTHING different. Just do what you do in training. The only thing I agree with is barely run at all, not taper, just do a couple short 3 miles runs the week of the race to let your body rest from your training. Other than that, it's just another training session. Don't do anything different.

This seems odd advice to me. You're right, she should not do anything different or new on race day, but she has lots of time to try all the advice she's been given before that.

As for running that distance at least once before the race, I completely disagree. I was really nervous because I wasn't able to do that before race day. When I voiced that concern to more experienced runners, they all said as long as you've hit 10 miles, you'll be fine. They were right. I had hit 11 miles (weather had been really bad for my training). And on race day, I had zero issues. I finished nearly 10 minutes faster than my plan, and felt good. In fact, I was pretty active the rest of the day too - including spending a bunch of time in IKEA later. So, not running 13.1 prior to race day had zero affect on me.

I also did do a taper before the race, but a pretty short one. Probably over the week and a half before the race, I went down to 6, 4, and 2 and then had 2 days of rest before the race.
  • EdTheGinge
    EdTheGinge Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    A lot of publications say not to run the full distance before the event, so in this instance do say 8-12miles as a lot comes down to the raise atmosphere and how you're feeling.

I'm training for my first marathon and the things that keeps coming up is to run between 18-22miles, not to do the whole distance. Obviously everyone has their opinions on this and some might like to know that they can do the fully distance.

Food before, I focused on Pasta for the final week preparing for it and ate before say 7 the night before. Had some muesli and booosh I was away. Make sure you're well hydrated as well, some people like gel packs and these generally are offered during the race but try them in your training runs first as not everybody can stomach them.

After my most recent race I had pasta salad, a chicken and bacon cheese stack with chips and a nice pint of cider. I didn't eat it all but god it was good.

* Mel I'll pay you later for the advert lol
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    For diet, I eat the same before a race as I would before a long run. I don't buy into carbo loading before a half, but that's me. I do always have a good amount of slow digesting carbs (veggies, particularly sweet potatoes and broccoli) the night before, but not much in the way of grains, no bread, pasta or rice.

My first half was in october, it was 50 at the start, I planned to wear my running skirt and short sleeves like normal, it had been relatively hot for all my long runs and that was what I used to. I wore pants under the skirt while waiting around for the race to start and pulled them I off right before gun time. I was fine temp wise for the race.

I do a lot of training with my little one in the jogger so I'm accustomed to having water and snacks with me. So for halfs, I carry my own stuff and bypass aid stations. So water in my camelbak and I carry honey stinger chews, usually eat 2 or 3 at mile 5 and again at mile 10 if I've been pushing it and feel a little sluggish. I am on the slower side 2+ hours so far for halfs, if i start getting under 2 i may rethink my fueling strategy. Just try all this stuff on your long runs first!

Good luck! And have fun!
  • SergeantG
    SergeantG Posts: 92
    Options

The best thing I did for myself was to go to a running store and get professionally fitted for shoes. They put me a size up from what I thought I needed and it made a world of difference!

Any advice on a good 'running store' to have this done? Usually I just go to a foot locker to buy mine and I'm not neccisarily sure I'm getting the best shoes.
  • Codefox
    Options
    Some of the advice seems odd. By the time you run the race, you should have already run that distance at least once. So, that why I say, do NOTHING different. Just do what you do in training. The only thing I agree with is barely run at all, not taper, just do a couple short 3 miles runs the week of the race to let your body rest from your training. Other than that, it's just another training session. Don't do anything different.

How is barely running (two 3 mile runs) not a taper? That's the definition of a taper...cutting back your running. As far as nutrition goes leading up to the race, that advice comes from research done on the subject (not by me!) and is fairly well accepted practice by any running group or publication I've ever seen. There's plenty of information over at Runner's World on the subject. I agree if you have trained well then the 13.1 mile run won't be anything different than what you're used to but my race day pace for any race I do is always faster than my pace for my long runs. You're going to be burning more energy and working harder that day than you usually do in training most likely so you need to make sure your body is ready to go.
  • blgerig
    Options

Any advice on a good 'running store' to have this done? Usually I just go to a foot locker to buy mine and I'm not neccisarily sure I'm getting the best shoes.

It depends on where you live what you may have available. In Indiana I went to Blue Mile, in the DC area we have Pacers and City Sports. These stores offer free gait analysis where they watch you run briefly on a treadmill to start and fit you in a proper shoe from there. If you google running store Michigan something similar you may be able to find something local!
  • Codefox
    Options
    A lot of publications say not to run the full distance before the event, so in this instance do say 8-12miles as a lot comes down to the raise atmosphere and how you're feeling.

I have never read that. I have read that it's not necessary, which is true. But, I've never heard anyone say not to run the whole distance.

I more commonly hear it for the full marathon distance since unless you can run 20 miles in 3 hours, doing that much mileage isn't supposed to give much/any benefit. I don't personally follow that since I'm slow and I still put my long runs in. With the half, most people can probably run the full distance in under 3 hours so there's no reason not to do the full distance if you want to in training.
  • EdTheGinge
    EdTheGinge Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options

I have never read that. I have read that it's not necessary, which is true. But, I've never heard anyone say not to run the whole distance.

I more commonly hear it for the full marathon distance since unless you can run 20 miles in 3 hours, doing that much mileage isn't supposed to give much/any benefit. I don't personally follow that since I'm slow and I still put my long runs in. With the half, most people can probably run the full distance in under 3 hours so there's no reason not to do the full distance if you want to in training.

True enough
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    I am not sure what your highest mileage is so far, but here are some things I discovered. BTW - I used Hal Higdon's Novice Plan.

- Shoes. Make sure you break in a new pair of properly fitted shoes and put about 30 miles or so on them. Choose a running store that does a gait analysis!!!!!!!!!!!
    - Feet. be sure to have socks that do not cause blisters! Some runners use Vaseline. If it rains, use Smart Wool socks.
    - Chafing becomes a problem, so what you wear is even more import! Body glide, and smooth wicking attire is a must. (I love Under Armor it is the most chafe free fabric I have used.)
    - Miles are miles, so don't overdo your long runs.
    - Injuries can happen easily, be sure you are doing some sort of leg strength exercises.
    - Hydration. Be sure to dial it in using whatever sport drink (I only drink water) you bring, or they have on the route.
    - Diet. I used some energy gels. Be sure to use them in your long runs to make sure they work. Also, make sure you know what to eat on race day by doing what you do on long run days. Start times can be a game changer.
    - Weather. Be sure to practice in the rain, the heat, or whatever weather might happen. Dress as if it is 10-15 degrees warmer than you would dress on a non-run day.

My first 1/2, it rained and I had not trained in the rain. Fortunately I had wool socks which I read about the day before the race and purchased a runner's rain jacket. I wore the wrong shirt and the chest was chafed very badly. There were 5" in deep puddles.... but I finished and got a medal!

Have a ball.

Here is the whole story.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/dsjohndrow/view/the-day-the-music-died-13-1-496697