Iron

Options
clicketykeys
clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
One of the micros for which I'm consistently under MFP's recommendation is iron. Other than supplements (because I already know that's an option, not because I'm against it) what are some simple, effective ways to increase the iron in my diet?

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Don't trust MFP tracking for iron. As it is not a required nutrient on labels, it's left off a lot, and as MFP is a user added database sometimes if it is on the label the person adding it to the database won't incluse that info if it isn't relevant to them. Invariably, you are getting more than MFP says you are.

But, if you're looking for iron rich foods:

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/iron-deficiency-anemia/manage/ptc-20266647
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Options
    Invariably, you are getting more than MFP says you are.

AHA! I did wonder about that. I had some chicken the other day and when I logged it the tracker said no iron, but I'd seen that list with poultry as a high-iron food.

Perils of a user-created database. I suppose you get what you pay for ;)

Thanks!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    You can edit entries and add the correct numbers, or you can add your own entry, but i wouldn't advise doing that with chicken breast as there's a million entries in there already!

With fresh foods i always include USDA in the search. "Chicken breast raw usda" "Broccoli raw usda" etc And even then i double check here: https://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/search
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Forgot to add, my iron is always pathetically low according to mfp! I had a blood test a couple of months ago because i was worried, and my iron levels were perfect.
  • raquele3394
    raquele3394 Posts: 180 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Too much Iron can make you sick. But here are some of food that are rich in iron. You can add these food in your diet without causing you to get sick.
    ua4tv8sph38k.png
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    If it makes you feel better, my MFP report says I get about half the iron I should. I just donated blood a couple of days ago and my hemoglobin was 14 so it is really good.

Others gave you good lists/links for iron rich food to make sure. Also, it is a good idea to get your iron both from heme (meat) sources and non-heme (fruits and veggies) sources.