Tips for breaking through a plateau

Options
I've logged in close to 90 days in a row now. I've had a decent loss, averaging 1.5 pounds per week, but the last 2 weeks I haven't budged. I haven't changed anything and am still very careful measuring. With working out, I average a 700-1000 calorie deficit per day while eating 1500 calories. I thought my plateau was due to my tom but it shouldn't last thing long. Any tips for breaking through the plateau? I still have 50 pounds to lose so I definitely am not too close to my goal.

Replies

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Drink more water. Just for a week, but drink an extra liter of water each day.
  • CaladriaNapea
    CaladriaNapea Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    How are you measuring your caloric intake? How are you measuring your caloric output?

Also, two weeks isn't that long--sometimes my body bounces around higher than I feel it should because of TOM, travel, higher sodium from eating out, or just because my body can be weird sometimes. Give it a couple more weeks to know if you really have hit a plateau.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Two weeks isn't a plateau. A plateau is usually at least 6 weeks.

Have you increased/added exercise? Had more sodium than usual? Are you going to the bathroom as regularly as usual? Are you drinking sufficient water/fluids?

You mention the weight not being TOM related, but what about ovulation?

Have you changed the batteries in your scale recently?

If you're not using a food scale, now's the time to start. Cups/spoons are for liquids only.
  • beth0277
    beth0277 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Drink more water. Just for a week, but drink an extra liter of water each day.

I tried to up it this week but will definitely keep trying!

How are you measuring your caloric intake? How are you measuring your caloric output?

Also, two weeks isn't that long--sometimes my body bounces around higher than I feel it should because of TOM, travel, higher sodium from eating out, or just because my body can be weird sometimes. Give it a couple more weeks to know if you really have hit a plateau.

Calorie intake is measured using a digital scale. Outtake is using my Fitbit that monitors my heart rate. I understand there are flaws possible with any method, but I feel pretty good about my methods.
  • ashjongfit
    ashjongfit Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Two weeks isn't a plateau. Just keep doing as you are and in another 4-6 weeks if nothing has changed then its a plateau.

Add in some moderate paced walking in addition to anything else your doing, I find that always helps me without making me too hungry.

• SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    As others have stated 2 weeks is not a plateau. There will be weeks where you don't lose, in my experience, more frequently as you get closer to goal. I plateaued for 4months at one point even but have started losing very slowly again.

If your logging is as accurate as possible and you are not retaining water as a result of hormones or new exercise than keep going and the scale will move again.
  • amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    2 weeks is nothing relax weight loss often happens in spurts
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    beth0277 wrote: »
    I've logged in close to 90 days in a row now. I've had a decent loss, averaging 1.5 pounds per week, but the last 2 weeks I haven't budged. I haven't changed anything and am still very careful measuring. With working out, I average a 700-1000 calorie deficit per day while eating 1500 calories. I thought my plateau was due to my tom but it shouldn't last thing long. Any tips for breaking through the plateau? I still have 50 pounds to lose so I definitely am not too close to my goal.

A 2 week stall is perfectly normal, esp since you have been losing at a fairly rapid pace. What you were doing was working so don't change anything.
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    beth0277 wrote: »

A 2 week stall is perfectly normal, esp since you have been losing at a fairly rapid pace. What you were doing was working so don't change anything.

My weight goes up for a whole week before my period, and sometimes stays up for days after. Combines that with salty food and being slightly less active, and sometimes I go almost a full cycle with no loss because of ONE period. Then whoosh! The loss catches up. Weight loss is kind of cool. Have patience! This will happen often during your loss
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    Be patient.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,535 Member
    Options
    Not a plateau. Small stall. Just continue. Sometimes it takes a couple of weeks just for the body to work it out itself.

A plateau is 6 weeks or more of no weight movement IF one has been consistent DAILY for those 6 weeks. If there was any change in eating/drinking, exercise, etc., it's NOT a plateau. In fact plateaus are pretty rare if one followed everything to a T.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png