Browning avocados

Options
kimie54
kimie54 Posts: 24 Member
edited June 2017 in Recipes
I covered mine in pickled jalapeño juice from the jar. Worked like a charm, and tasted delicious.

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Nice! Lemon or limes work great too!
  • Tried30UserNames
    Tried30UserNames Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    If you leave the pit in, it keeps them from browning. Even if you make a big bowl of guacamole, put the pit in the bowl.
  • mrpocketopossum
    mrpocketopossum Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    From my understanding it's air that causes avocados to brown. I've heard to "keep avocados from browning you should leave the pit in, place it upside down in container and fill with just enough water to cover the meat, just like when you freeze meat without a vacuum sealer (you force the air out). I imagine this would work with any fluid of choice, such as OP's pickled jalapeño juice. Lots of flavor possibilities!
  • Tried30UserNames
    Tried30UserNames Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    If you leave the pit in, it keeps them from browning. Even if you make a big bowl of guacamole, put the pit in the bowl.

False.

The only way to stop them from browning is to cut of oxygen. You do that by covering them in liquid. Pour off before you eat it.

You're wrong. Try it.

• RenaTX
    RenaTX Posts: 345 Member
    Options

False.

The only way to stop them from browning is to cut of oxygen. You do that by covering them in liquid. Pour off before you eat it.

You're wrong. Try it.

I have. I eat half to a whole avocado every day. The part which the pit was resting didn't turn brown but the surrounding meat did. Crazyravr is right. You have to keep cut off the oxygen.
  • mom22dogs
    mom22dogs Posts: 470 Member
    Options

That has never worked for me. Lemon or lime juice and covering it with something to keep the air out is the only thing I've found that works.
  • joeyleerobbins
    joeyleerobbins Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Just eat the whole thing....problem solved :#
  • RenaTX
    RenaTX Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    RenaTX wrote: »

False.

You're wrong. Try it.

I have. I eat half to a whole avocado every day. The part which the pit was resting didn't turn brown but the surrounding meat did. Crazyravr is right. You have to keep cut off the oxygen.
    myoonzl5ai6t.jpg

Oh here is an example of what I mean. I just took this guy out of my fridge. See the pit at the top, left of the snowflake? The meat above is green because the Press and Seal is right on the meat but below it's brown because there is space where the Press and Seal isn't touching.

Pit is in it though and it's turning brown.