Calorie counting fruits and veggies

Options
I am on a 1200 calorie diet. I am exercising by hiking/walking for 1 hour 30 minutes a day. Except weekends..but may incorporate yoga, or fitness classes.

A big part of my daily food intake are fruits and veggies. For example salad with cucumber, bell peppers, tomato, onion, cabbage, spinach. I also do fruit mixes with breakfast like a cup or two of watermelon, strawberries, and grapes.

I know some veggies and fruits can be high calorie like Avocado for example. I am wondering when I am doing salad and fruit if I should be adding it to my calories? Does anybody else do this?

Usually one cup of each is around 40-60 if I plug it in on here. Thanks!

Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    I log everything. Fruits and more calorie dense veggies I weigh, low cal veggies like leafy greens I eyeball. It's pretty easy to eat 250 cals of fruit & veg and that can be the difference between losing 1 lb per week and only half a lb. Besides I want to hit my fiber goal and some of that comes from produce.
  • Sophannah2017
    Sophannah2017 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I'm same as above, I log everything individually....and I do eat a lot of them, everyday in fact.
  • Strudders67
    Strudders67 Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    I eat salad for lunch almost every day- and I weigh and track. With approx 50g ham as well, my typical lunch is about 150 calories. It all counts.
  • cristareid
    cristareid Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Bummer. I was hoping I could get away with it. ;) I will make sure I log it well. Thank you! Yes I do always measure out the dressing and beans I add to it etc.
  • RAVERSTACE1983
    RAVERSTACE1983 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I count everything all is calorie intake
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    At 1200 calories, that could cut into a good chunk of your deficit if you aren't counting them. Log everything.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I eat a bag of lettuce/veg two times per day, and add vegetables on top of that. I NEED to log my vegetables. I don't always weigh my greens, by I always log 60 calories for my salad base. Fruit, definitely weigh.
  • RedheadedPrincess14
    RedheadedPrincess14 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I log all of it but I'm less strict with weighing. Like if I have to guess how much lettuce I'm using, I'm not as concerned about guessing with peanut butter or chocolate
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Fruits are very high calories. A banana is 100cal. Why wouldn't you log them?
  • LisaEatSleepRun
    LisaEatSleepRun Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    OP you can easily log it just once then click 'copy from date' & make minor alterations if needed for a new day. Once you have a bunch of recipes & 'go to' meals, logging becomes much simpler. Some days I basically copy everything from the previous day which takes about 1 minute!
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    I just log it as 25g (if only a few pieces) or 50g (if many pieces) or 1-2c (if leaves) and call it good. For low cal veggies anyway. I weigh fruit and avocado and potato and such.
  • Tried30UserNames
    Tried30UserNames Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    My dinner has about 125 calories worth of vegetables in it tonight. I would happily have eaten about 3 times that many, but I'm out of calories. Yes, I log vegetables. A lot of people say they didn't get fat eating too many vegetables. They were certainly a contributing factor in my weight gain.

As for fruit, it has a whole lot of calories. I don't like it so I don't eat it that often, but I definitely log it. A couple pieces of fruit might be 15% of my daily calories.
  • newheavensearth
    newheavensearth Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    To illustrate a point from my double tracking weight watchers "fruit is free and zero" days: I ate my full day of points and went slightly over calories. I decided to have fruit for desert, then more fruit, and more fruit. Zero points, but hundreds of extra calories. I count everything.