Unexplained weight loss???

Hey guys, so I had surgery a week and a half ago that required general anesthetisia. It was not a weight loss surgery, just to be clear.

Following the surgery, I have not worked out and can not for 6 weeks. I was eating the exact same food and still am, but I was on 4 different meds up until 3 days ago. I put on 8 pounds of water weight after surgery but that went down to my normal weight a couple days later. Now, after stopping the meds, my weight is unexplainably down 4 pounds. I was 136 at 5 foot 8 and a half and I should not have lost more than a pound ( even that would be a lot) during this time. So what is going on here? Could this be related to the medication? Or maybe because I'm not hitting the gym? It has to be fluids, I guess. And I've seen weight go up rapidly before but I've never seen my weight go down like this so it's really weird. I'm obviously assuming it will return to normal in a few days but I'm really curious as the cause. My surgeon had no idea o. The issue.

Sorry for the rant... just been confusing me

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,753 Member
    Water weight fluctuation. Unless you under ate by 4x3500 = 14,000 calories.
  • RedheadedPrincess14
    RedheadedPrincess14 Posts: 415 Member

I've just never seen my weight go down because of water weight but I'm assuming you're right lol. Only explanation. Just weird that pills would do that... or whatever else may have
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,241 Member

The OP lost 4lbs unaccounted for. Not gain.

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,753 Member
    gebeziseva wrote: »

Yep, got that.
  • Poisonedpawn78
    Poisonedpawn78 Posts: 1,145 Member

I've just never seen my weight go down because of water weight but I'm assuming you're right lol. Only explanation. Just weird that pills would do that... or whatever else may have

my father had a hospital visit a few months ago where he lost an amazing amount of weight in a short and near impossible time frame. I have no doubt that some of it was water weight but it hasnt come back either. So it has left me confused as well.

Maybe it was the hospital food? lol
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,241 Member
    gebeziseva wrote: »

Yep, got that.

OK, I misread your reply. Appologies. I agree it should be water. Some dehydration probably.
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Every 3 to 4 months I take a week off from working out. All I do is walking and yoga during my rest week. I've dropped anywhere from 3 to 5 pounds every time I do this.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Also--not sure of the nature of your surgery, but healing/recovery does place metabolic stress on your body. Repairing injured tissues does burn calories (even though you're not exercising). Try to eat at maintenance.
  • RedheadedPrincess14
    RedheadedPrincess14 Posts: 415 Member
    Maxematics wrote: »
    Every 3 to 4 months I take a week off from working out. All I do is walking and yoga during my rest week. I've dropped anywhere from 3 to 5 pounds every time I do this.
    Okay that makes a lot of sense. That's what me and my boyfriend were thinking because of the fact that while your muscles are healing, (as they are constantly when you're on a steady workout routine,) they hold some water. I was just concerned because I was on four different medications and I don't normally take any form of medicine so it was a bit alarming. Thanks though!
  • mandy2469
    mandy2469 Posts: 10 Member
    Most medication causes water retention