Roast dinner

Options
dalerst
dalerst Posts: 174 Member
How do you all add your Sunday roast to the diary? Do you log all the elements individual

Having roast chicken today but never quite no if I'm logging it correctly.

Replies

• ldwatene
    ldwatene Posts: 150 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Yeah pretty much. I weigh everything and log it individually. It gets easier. The first time I had a roast meal I actually had it at a roast shop. Took my scales and asked for a seconday plate so I could weigh stuff and replate it. Crazy I know but I am curious like that.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I log the cooked meat separately from the everything else, using the recipe tool for the 'everything else' with a serving size of 1 gram.

I also quit trying to make complex dishes.
  • ldwatene
    ldwatene Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I actually do the same thing with my salads. Yep I know. I need a life lol
  • dalerst
    Options
    Didn't think about using the meal or recipe tool will do that later which will help logging it every week.

I don't weight anything at the minute just guess work so need to start doing it the proper way.
  • dalerst
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Somethings not quite Wright? Just logged all the ingredients from my dinner and it's coming in at 766kcal which is fine but a massive 164g of carbs

But if I add a dinner from the app it's 964kcals but only 40g of carbs!
  • mjbnj0001
    mjbnj0001 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    ... I also quit trying to make complex dishes.

MFP recipe builder is a great help in this regard. I am precise in weights/measures when "building" the recipe, then slack off into "portion size" or "serving size" for a close approximation of the macro counts. This lets MFP do all the math. I'm great at math, but am getting lazy in my old age, LOL.

The other advantage of Recipe Builder is that I collect a set of easily-referenced dishes of which I have some confidence in their contents (verified entries for the ingredients, etc.). For convenience, I've also made up a couple of recipes ("salad veggies", "mixed root veggies" and such) for which the absolute macro values don't change impactfully much based on the exact composition/ratio of ingredients, to make the daily food log entry process simpler over time.

Is it exact? No. But then, I grew up using slide-rule accuracy in my computations. Bridges and buildings and airliners were built using reasonable numerical approximations.

I'm a "cooking fool" now, LOL ... bring on the complex, healthy, nutritious dishes!
  • dalerst
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I've just created my salad recipe and the total only came to 109kcal without the chicken am I doing something wrong? It must be more than that surely. :#
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    dalerst wrote: »
    Somethings not quite Wright? Just logged all the ingredients from my dinner and it's coming in at 766kcal which is fine but a massive 164g of carbs

Check the database entries youre using.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    When I do roasted chicken I usually don't add a lot of marinade or anything, so just logged the cooked chicken (amount plus part). Other dishes I either list the ingredients and estimate what amount I ate or if it's more complicated create a recipe.
  • lemurcat12
    Options

A dinner from the app will be completely inaccurate. If you think the carbs are off, what entry or entries are they coming from?

• dalerst
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

A dinner from the app will be completely inaccurate. If you think the carbs are off, what entry or entries are they coming from?

I've gone over all the ingredients in the list and it had 200g of potatoes down at 98gof carbs which is way off. I've changed a couple of things and now down to 91g of carbs for the meal.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    Sounds good. It's usually not too hard to pinpoint bad entries. Check the USDA site if you need to reality check an entry.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,022 Member
    Options
    Home made roast dinners are not hard to log - well, the basic ones I make are not.

I just weigh each ingredient as I dish it on to my plate - useing food scale with tare function - eg lamb meat, cooked x grams, potato cooked ,x grams, carrot cooked x grams, pumpkin cooked x grams etc and then gravy 50 ml.
    Any spices you flavour it with really dont have enough calories to bother logging.
    I cook the roast in the oven in a roast bag with tiny spray of cooking spray ( which I dont bother logging but you could to be really accurate)