I think i'm getting somewhere...

Hello everyone!

So this is my 4564554th attempt at getting my weight under control.
Its the first time i feel really motivated (soon to be dad) and the first time that i'm seeing results.

It's also the 1st time i'm working on my nutrition and not just trying to out-walk my appetite (pro tip = impossible).

I'm using myfitnesspal to log my food intake (and cheat as little as possible) while staying away from carbs.

So a normal day would have me eat around 1400 - 1500 cals while staying under 100 - 120 grams of carbs.

It has worked.
I dropped 5 kilos (or 5cm around my waist) in a span of 35 - 40 days.
But that is as far as i got.
The last week or 10 days has been all about frustration.
I've seen zero progress and even gained 1 kilo.

I am trying to fight back by increasing my steps/day but so far no luck.

I am reaching out to the community for any ideas or tips and i would also gladly answer any question that might help anyone make progress.

Thanks in advance and excuse my english, i am not a native speaker :)

130840216.png

Replies

• MsLynz69
    MsLynz69 Posts: 3 Member
    edited June 2017
    YEAHHHHH awrsome job... keep up the amazing work ✌
  • LonniJay
    LonniJay Posts: 3,740 Member
    Plateaus happen often and should be expected. When this happens to me I try a different exercise or more vigorous strength training routine and eventually I'll have a sudden drop in weight. My plateaus are typically 2 weeks but can last as long as 4 weeks.

Also, make sure mfp is lowering your calories as you lose weight. Mine wasn't for a while, then I changed my weekly weight loss goal and changed it back and it recalculated and I was supposed to be eating less.

Hope this helped. Good luck on your journey.
  • dimster75gr
    dimster75gr Posts: 4 Member
    LonniJay wrote: »
    Plateaus happen often and should be expected. When this happens to me I try a different exercise or more vigorous strength training routine and eventually I'll have a sudden drop in weight. My plateaus are typically 2 weeks but can last as long as 4 weeks.

Also, make sure mfp is lowering your calories as you lose weight. Mine wasn't for a while, then I changed my weekly weight loss goal and changed it back and it recalculated and I was supposed to be eating less.

Hope this helped. Good luck on your journey.

Thank you for your input LonniJay! Hope you hit your goals with time to spare :)

I read that low carb diets have good initial results but progress tends to slow down in the long run.

Would it help if i switch to low fat instead of low carb (keeping total cal intake as low as possible in both scenarios)?
  • Poisonedpawn78
    Poisonedpawn78 Posts: 1,145 Member
    There are a few things you can do

- Make sure you are getting enough water
    - If possible, get a food scale and start getting as accurate as you can about your food. You will be surprised how inaccurate you can be while "guesstimating"
    - Make sure you are incorporating resistance training to keep muscle mass.
    - Make sure you log any cheat meals or cheat days accurately. 1 meal IS enough to blow a whole week of deficit and exercise.
    - Keep in mind as you do new exercise routines you will retain water to repair muscles as they heal. once healed your body will flush out the extra water it doesnt need. This can take a while and is different for each person.
    - Always try to weigh yourself in the same way at the same time(before or after bathroom just keep it consistent) and follow the trend, not the daily spikes.
    - Temper expectations in reality.
    - Never, ever forget that little bundle of motivation!
  • dimster75gr
    dimster75gr Posts: 4 Member
    There are a few things you can do

- Make sure you are getting enough water
    - If possible, get a food scale and start getting as accurate as you can about your food. You will be surprised how inaccurate you can be while "guesstimating"
    - Make sure you are incorporating resistance training to keep muscle mass.
    - Make sure you log any cheat meals or cheat days accurately. 1 meal IS enough to blow a whole week of deficit and exercise.
    - Keep in mind as you do new exercise routines you will retain water to repair muscles as they heal. once healed your body will flush out the extra water it doesnt need. This can take a while and is different for each person.
    - Always try to weigh yourself in the same way at the same time(before or after bathroom just keep it consistent) and follow the trend, not the daily spikes.
    - Temper expectations in reality.
    - Never, ever forget that little bundle of motivation!

I have a food scale and i use it as often as possible (if i get a toast at work i will log it as ''toast'' dunno how much bread or cheese was in it though)
    I dont think im getting enough water though, i guess ill have to press my self to have more...
    And i don't do weight or resistance training, maybe i should join the gym even for a month or so...

Thank you so much for your input Poisondpawn78! i wish you the best!